Lumia 925 try change my mind..

Sebnikovski

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello forum! Im new hre but i know how to write (few spelling mistakes probadly)...

Anyway, ive used Android for 2 years and bought the Lumia 925 phone. Im realy impressed by the speed of the system and the awsome camera. But the OS have so many setbacks.. Maybe there are some work-around's for these flaws that ive found the past 2 weeks.

* Is there a way to improve the vibration strength? (read that its because of the hardware?)

* Is there a way to avoid using the menues back and forth to simply turn of and on bluetooth, mobile networks, wifi etc?

* Avoid using the menu to create new "flaps" in the internet browser and navigating through them?

* Choosing numbers easier in the SMS browser? If write a persons name, only the first number (mobile) is shown, i cant chose from here what number to use. I then have to press the + symbol, search, click his name and then the correct phone number... 4 extra steps.
Also, if i miss click and add more persons to the sms, i cannot remove them...

* Quick write contacts in the phonebook? Android have the smart function of just pressing the starting letters in the name of the contact, is this removed in W8P? Instead, i have to go into contacts, press search, and write first letters here.. 3 extra steps.

* Will gmail's new layout be adapted to the W8P? Where you can see the different categories and not all the mails summed on one page?

These are the most common functions i use, SMS, phone call, email and switching between mobile networks because i travel alot. Please let me know if you guys experience the same, or i will have to change my phone to something with Android. Sad, because i realy like the phone in general.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
There will be a notifications center like droid with 8.1 where you can enable/disable wifi/data ect ect.

About the sms issues. In 8.1 its possible to install a third party sms app like droid. So that might help you when more sms app's will hit the app store.

I to just got the 925 switched from droid (HTC One x And LG optimus G) . Must say dont really miss anything from droid other that notification center :)

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Hello forum! Im new hre but i know how to write (few spelling mistakes probadly)...

Anyway, ive used Android for 2 years and bought the Lumia 925 phone. Im realy impressed by the speed of the system and the awsome camera. But the OS have so many setbacks.. Maybe there are some work-around's for these flaws that ive found the past 2 weeks.

* Is there a way to improve the vibration strength? (read that its because of the hardware?)
No, unfortunately. It's bugging me too. The 720 has such lovely vibrate. It's a hardware thing.

* Is there a way to avoid using the menues back and forth to simply turn of and on bluetooth, mobile networks, wifi etc?
Leave them turned on. BT really only consumes battery when it's connected and you can turn off 'Notify me when new networks are found' in wifi advanced settings to save some juice. Otherwise you can get a 'quick settings' kinda app (there's plenty) and you can pin wifi, bt, data... tiles on the start directly. You'll still have to toggle it once in the menu, Tiles can't be toggled like android widgets can. In 8.1 there's going to be quick settings kinda like in android, when you pull from the top

* Avoid using the menu to create new "flaps" in the internet browser and navigating through them?
Tabs, they're called tabs. IE -> settings -> 'use address bar button for' -> set to tabs. You can only pick one, I think tabs is the most useful.

* Choosing numbers easier in the SMS browser? If write a persons name, only the first number (mobile) is shown, i cant chose from here what number to use. I then have to press the + symbol, search, click his name and then the correct phone number... 4 extra steps.
Only 'mobile' numbers are displayed in SMS (and messenger). Edit persons details in address book (people) and set desired numbers to mobile (2, 3...)

Also, if i miss click and add more persons to the sms, i cannot remove them...
Press the 'backspace' or tap on recipient and then press remove.

* Quick write contacts in the phonebook? Android have the smart function of just pressing the starting letters in the name of the contact, is this removed in W8P? Instead, i have to go into contacts, press search, and write first letters here.. 3 extra steps.
Unfortunately it doesn't support smart dialing. When you press on the phone icon, history opens, and you can only search trough history. Most of the time the person will already be in history, otherwise you have to do what you said yourself. There's an app 'rep dialer' or something like that, plenty of 3rd party dialers with smart dialing support. Search in the store. Hopefully it will be added in 8.1, but I'm not sure. And you can just pin frequently contacted people to the start.

* Will gmail's new layout be adapted to the W8P? Where you can see the different categories and not all the mails summed on one page?
No. Try 'Metromail'. It crashes a lot, but it's as close to proper gmail as it will (probably ever) get. Or use outlook, you can easily import your gmail account on outlook.com and use outlook for both.

These are the most common functions i use, SMS, phone call, email and switching between mobile networks because i travel alot. Please let me know if you guys experience the same, or i will have to change my phone to something with Android. Sad, because i realy like the phone in general.
Give is some more time, you'll stop thinking android and adapt to WP ways. It's somewhat different, but it's just as quick once you get a hang of it. If you don't like it, get an android, it's a free world :D As I said before, with 'quick settings' (or 'battery' - battery monitor + quick settings in one app) you can pin individual settings like wifi, bt, network directly to start, so it's always one tap away.

I hope this helps, search trough existing threads a little (not just for 925, WP is the same on all phones), there's plenty of threads just like this one. If you have any more questions, just ask.

Last edited:

Sebnikovski

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi both,

Thank you for the good advice and guidance!:) I tried for 20-30min searching the forums with keywords to describe all seperate topics that i asked, so i thought it would be better to collect them all here. Maybe its usefull for others as well.

Im not 100% convinced using this phone for years yet, but now i know there are some work-arounds atleast and that there will be some uppdates in the future. So i think ive decieded to keep the phone and give it some time:) But the vibration is such a set-back... However the camera compensates this in another way, its awsome when there is backlighting and can handle darker enviroments.

Best regards

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720