Cleared storage by 4Gb, after clearing other storage!!

khader_moham

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
So, my Nokia Lumia 925 had only 1gb of space left thanks to 1.9 gb in system and almost 4 gb in other.
After trying all sort of steps (and failing), i decided to perform the hard reset.
I knew i needed more storage for the developer preview of wp8.1.
I backed up everything on to onedrive and praying the phone wont get stck, did the 3 button reset.
Results were amazing!!!!
1) Other storage reduced to just 328 mb!!!
2) On signing in all my apps were automatically downloaded, settings brought back and even contacts
3) The phone is so damn faster and smoother!!
4) A few bugs have been removed
I now have about 9 gb left. (I didn't bring back my older photos yet. And i estimate about 5-6 gb will be left when in done

I definitely recommend this to everyone, and will surely reset regularly :)

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Of course other would be smaller after a hard reset. You erased everything...

This is like being amazed that you're using less hard drive space after formatting it...

khader_moham

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I got 'everything' back as well, however other storage is a lot lesser.

I now have every single file which i had before along with a lot of extra space

Jason Ward

Windows Central Columnist
Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
My other storage on my 1520 is about 6gigs. I'm reluctant to hard reset because unlike WP 8.1, WP 8 won't keep my Start/Home Screen layout.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes that's a function of the restore system.

I did the same thing with Windows 8 on my desktop tonight.

It is still erasing the device back to factory stock and restoring from a backup.

It is not something that I would recommend doing on a regular basis.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
My other storage on my 1520 is about 6gigs. I'm reluctant to hard reset because unlike WP 8.1, WP 8 won't keep my Start/Home Screen layout.
I take a screenshot of my home screen before I reset.

That said if other is that large it is usually due to things like audiobooks, podcasts, and such at this point. It can also be content in things like UC Browser.

Do you have any of that type of content?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
What good is it to clear out the Other storage if you're just going to start from scratch? I imagine it will all come back after everything is restored. :straight:

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
What good is it to clear out the Other storage if you're just going to start from scratch? I imagine it will all come back after everything is restored. :straight:

Bingo. It's just best to learn what is taking up that space and remove it. My 'other' or temp space stays small because I pay attention to what apps I have and what additional content I have added to some of them like eBooks, audio books, etc.

The amount used there is nearly a 1:1 match and as I add/remove items I can watch it going up and down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett