Thinking of going from Lumia 1020 to 925. Advice please

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I am also an amateur photographer but I chose the 1520 over the 1020. For other things, I am happy with my decision except for low light photography. I would love to have that wider-aperture camera that the 1020 possess. ;( I can also edit DNG files from what I get with the images on my phone.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Coming from the bottom up,

I found the 925 very capable in the picture taking arena.
My preference is to shoot in black and white for contrast effect.
The Pureview cam on the 925 in my opinion is very satisfying for my use.

Color shots are very well balanced I thought.
Haven't done a lot of low light work with the 925 because I'm still trying to understand what "low light" is for this piece of photographic hardware.
I'm thinking low light is a room lit mid day with shaded light thru a window.
I dunno exactly because I don't have a working light meter anymore.

All in all the pixel graininess is minimal with this phone camera under ideal conditions.

As far as the speaker performance;
I'm coming from a Lumia 521 and the speaker on that phone is stellar.
The 925 has less output that sounds somewhat "tinny" to me.
It is acceptable if the hand is cupped over the speaker or sound is bounced from a hard surface.
I've never heard it distorted in any way.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
12 to 18 hours isn't awful if you're taking pictures all the time. The biggest complaint I've heard about the 925 is the weak vibrate. I hardly ever feel my phone go off and if that's important to you, this phone isn't for you. As for the zoom, I was at Niagra Falls a couple weeks ago and haven't noticed awful quality of my pictures, but I wished I would have had the L1020 for it.

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
hmmm when i got my lumia 925 within 4 days, i had the "mura" effect on my screen but apart from that great phone

edit: i have a ativ s now, couldn't stand them streaks of lines on my 925's screen

Last edited:

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
lol, you said you're a photographer but can't find any use for the 1020

I think you may need to re read what he said to try to understand it. He is saying that because he does know about photography and is used to using a proper camera that he finds the 1020 lacking in the settings it has. He is not saying that the 1020 doesn't take good photos, more that it lacks the settings to be a great camera.

I know a couple of photographers and they all agree that the 1020 is a fantastic camera phone but as a camera it is very limited.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
It's partly Nokia's fault. All their BS about Pureview taking over DSLR (in their ads) have disappointed people. Or in fact, they're right, a 1020 or 808 can replace a DSLR, if you didn't know how to use it (like 83% of tourists :) ).

Now back to settings. Variable aperture would be nice, but hey, it's a smartphone we're talking about. Keeping that in mind, what the 1020 allows is awesome to my eyes. I bought the 808 Pureview first and switched to the 1020 in March this year. I always have my phone with me and have replaced, not my DSLR (I don't own one) but my Lumix TZ5 by the 808 and now the 1020.

So I think it's a matter of half-empty, half full glass here. The gap between DSLR and a cameraphone is still there. But if we compare what the 1020 allows (with other phones or P&S cameras), then it is a brilliant device.

Now camera-wise, the difference between 925 and 1020 would be, according to me, not the lossless zoom possibility (I don't use it that much), but the size of the RAW it would deliver.

To return to the topic, I think the OP should wonder what is he expecting from a cameraphone/smartphone. Brilliant P&S capabilities? A more digital approcha: whether it replaces a DSLR and fine, whether I don't need a cameraphone?

Again, nobody that adding MP was increasing the quality of the image, nobody said that the 41MP product line (808 and 1020) would replace a DSLR, but because of Nokia's marketing about clumsy DSLR users and smarter 1020 photographers, it appears that some could have been lured when buying the 1020.

It's not a problem, if the OP refines his needs and understands explicitly what he expects from his phone. All other comparison (925 vs 1020 vs DSLR) is futile to my mind.

Final point: if I were you, I would keep the 1020. You'll lose with a 925 the Xenon flash and 16GB of storage without being sure that your battery life will be improved.

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Why would you want a 925 when you already have the 1020? The speakers are tiny and at the back, you'll have to deal with 16GB storage, and the only real manual setting that I can't change is the aperture (shutter speed, focus, ISO, WB, exposure are all changeable). And when it comes to taking pictures, everything drains battery quickly.

Miska Hietala

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
To me the camera in 1020 is worth it. I like the different looks and weight. Looks and weights like a premium phone!

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk for wp

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Why would you want a 925 when you already have the 1020? The speakers are tiny and at the back, you'll have to deal with 16GB storage, and the only real manual setting that I can't change is the aperture (shutter speed, focus, ISO, WB, exposure are all changeable). And when it comes to taking pictures, everything drains battery quickly.

I think you have just proven what I said above in post 26

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks evertyone for your great input and help. Appreciated.

It's partly Nokia's fault. All their BS about Pureview taking over DSLR (in their ads) have disappointed people. Or in fact, they're right, a 1020 or 808 can replace a DSLR, if you didn't know how to use it (like 83% of tourists :) ).

Final point: if I were you, I would keep the 1020. You'll lose with a 925 the Xenon flash and 16GB of storage without being sure that your battery life will be improved.

Exactly, plus Nokia made a big advertisment about David Bailey switching one of his DSLRs for a 1020. Now when you see someone you respect and like his work endorsing the 1020, you get an impression it must have all the settings I need. Of course then you realise money goes along way eh :)

On what everyone has advised and watching a few more videos.. Ive decided to keep my 1020 as a phone and pick up a either a Nikon or Olympus DSLR. They are both small and compact and can give me variable Aperture, ISO, shutter speed and Optical Zoom. Then when my contract renews in a years time.. im going to pick up either an Icon or 1520 or see whats around

On the discussion of photography, if you still dont know what i mean and what the 1020 lacks Just read these:

http://www.myrmecos.net/2009/02/02/the-importance-of-aperture/

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/fototech/apershutter/aperture.htm

Can I also say in response to some posts.. Ive never said the 1020 is a bad phone or a bad camera.. Im saying.. Pro settings on Nokia Camera Lacks certain settings that can give you a great edge, but hey who knows whats coming in Nokias own 8.1 firmware upgrade

Thanks for helping me decide all :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs