05-15-2014 08:29 PM
26 12
tools
    Hi, all.

So I went to check my phone after class and it is completely dead and unresponsive. I don't know if this has anything to do with the new 8.1 update, but it has been working completely fine these past couple of days. It was working this morning, even!

Normally, what I would do is take the battery out and put it back in to hopefully reboot it, but unfortunately this phone does not have a removable battery. I plugged it into my charger about 15 minutes ago and it's still dead.

Any suggestions?
    04-17-2014 10:29 AM
    Have you try the vol down+power button, hold for 10 seconds or more until your phone vibrates?
    rdubmu and threetenfour like this.
    04-17-2014 10:43 AM
    Have you try the vol down+power button, hold for 10 seconds or more until your phone vibrates?
    Yes do this but do this while your phone is plugged in.
    threetenfour likes this.
    04-17-2014 11:01 AM
    Dont panic. you can either do a hard reset, I forget which button combination.

If you are worried, just go to Nokia website, there is a live chat function, then you can talk to them to see what's the best way for you
    threetenfour likes this.
    04-17-2014 11:15 AM
    Yep, mine did exactly the same thing yesterday. It was on the charger all night and on my way to work I pulled my phone out of my pocket, and it was completely dead. I plugged it in and it came on saying I had only 2% battery. When I got to work I plugged it in to an ac charger and it it charged to 100% in like 10 mins. It lasted all day from that point without being charged again. I'm thinking something in 8.1 is maybe falsely reporting the battery info.
    04-17-2014 11:31 AM
    Yes do this but do this while your phone is plugged in.
    Thanks for this! I tried the volume + power button combination, but it wouldn't work until it was plugged in.
    04-17-2014 01:14 PM
    Yep, mine did exactly the same thing yesterday. It was on the charger all night and on my way to work I pulled my phone out of my pocket, and it was completely dead. I plugged it in and it came on saying I had only 2% battery. When I got to work I plugged it in to an ac charger and it it charged to 100% in like 10 mins. It lasted all day from that point without being charged again. I'm thinking something in 8.1 is maybe falsely reporting the battery info.
    Ah, mine still showed 90% battery when in came to after I restarted it. My sister's 1020 did the same thing this morning, apparently.
    04-17-2014 01:16 PM
    Looks like I'll be waiting to install 8.1. I hope the fix is in 8.1 and NOT in carrier specific firmware since that could take a lot longer.

OP, what carrier is your phone from?
    Guytronic and metalchick719 like this.
    04-17-2014 02:09 PM
    Looks like I'll be waiting to install 8.1. I hope the fix is in 8.1 and NOT in carrier specific firmware since that could take a lot longer.

OP, what carrier is your phone from?
    T-Mobile
    HoosierDaddy likes this.
    04-17-2014 02:12 PM
    T-Mobile
    Thanks. Please let us know if it happens again. Maybe it was a one time thing.
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-17-2014 03:00 PM
    Id say this is right on the money. This used to happen in the Android community all the time when flashing roms without a full charge. Battery stats get all funky. I was attempting to do a battery calibration on my 8.1 device - I was at 6% waiting for it to die completely when it just shut off. So reporting is definitely messed up. Should be an easy fix. May even be able to fix it ourselves with a few full charging cycles.
    04-17-2014 03:07 PM
    Id say this is right on the money. This used to happen in the Android community all the time when flashing roms without a full charge.
    So flashing with a full charge avoided the problem?
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-17-2014 04:11 PM
    That was on Android. I certainly didn't have a full charge when going to 8.1 and am also experiencing the battery reporting issues.

If the same logic is to be followed, going to 8.1 with a full charge could very well remedy this. That's my hypothesis at least. I'll give it a shot on another device tomorrow.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    04-17-2014 06:10 PM
    Thanks. Please let us know if it happens again. Maybe it was a one time thing.
    I've had to power cycle (via power button + volume buttons) three times today, including the first incident. It's not a battery issue for me. When it boots up, the battery level is what it should have been. I haven't had to recharge it since last night.

Not sure what the cause could be, but I'm thinking it's to do with 8.1 since it hasn't happened to me before with Mango, 7, or 8.
    04-17-2014 10:38 PM
    I've had this happen twice in the last two days. Where can we report this to Microsoft?
    04-18-2014 12:59 PM
    Makes it hard to decide to try 8.1.

Is there a way to go back to 8.0 if someone installs 8.1 and gets tired of any glitches they have?
    04-18-2014 01:08 PM
    Makes it hard to decide to try 8.1.

Is there a way to go back to 8.0 if someone installs 8.1 and gets tired of any glitches they have?

Yep there is. Go to xda-developers and search for how to flash all lumia phones ... You'll find your answer.
    04-18-2014 01:12 PM
    I have no issues with 8.1. I updated it on Monday and it does not show any odd behaviors or crashes. I donot have many apps installed and installation doesnot take very long. Cortana is weird and will give wrong results, I turned if off.
    04-18-2014 01:50 PM
    This is happening to me repeatedly. Till now i have done reset for 7 times. I am totally frustrated with Windows 8.1
    05-12-2014 05:42 AM
    Had 8.1 for weeks now on the 925. Zero issues. Guess it depends on what you are doing with the phone or if there might be an issue with the hardware.
    05-12-2014 09:19 AM
    I just wanted to chime in that my t-mobile 925 experiences the same symptom of being completely non-responsive. A quick pwr-vol down brings it back to life. This has happened about a dozen times in the past couple weeks. I've narrowed it down to only happening when I am in an area where signal is fairly weak AND it's trying to connect to a weak wifi. I am going to say it may require a firmware update.
    I have some other weird issues where when I am on wifi calling, text won't work (mms never worked, this is regular txt not working). Overall the 8.1 update has many more features that I don't want to roll back to 8.0 even with these issues.
    05-13-2014 07:15 AM
    You guys seem to have all done soft resets via the vol down and power button. Have you tried a hard reset through the settings>about>reset your phone option? You will lose your personal data bit it will likely get rid of these issues.
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-13-2014 07:21 AM
    You guys seem to have all done soft resets via the vol down and power button. Have you tried a hard reset through the settings>about>reset your phone option? You will lose your personal data bit it will likely get rid of these issues.
    Of course :) After the second unresponsive lockup, I did a full hard reset. Locked up the next day, so I did a roll back to 8.0 (via nsu), and let the 8.1 update come back down. It's done it about 8 or 9 times since. None of those resolved the wifi txt issue either.
    05-13-2014 07:45 AM
    Well, last night the little update to 8.1 came down. Seems to have fixed my wifi connectivity issue at work (text via wifi calling still a no-go), and I have not had the lockup yet. Still a little early to say for sure, but it just feels like it'll be OK now. I can wait for the official firmware from Nokia for the texting issue to get fixed.
    05-15-2014 11:21 AM
    I have a frozen/blank screen last night. A soft reset fixed it.

Scott
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-15-2014 04:49 PM
26 12