Which is faster 925 vs 630?T

Stephen Pedersen

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
925 has 1 gig and a dual core 1.5 Snapdragon.
630 has 512MB and a quad core 1.2 Snapdragon
Which one will be more responsive and give me less loading/resuming time?
Thank you for any advice you may give. :)

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Personally I say higher RAM is the best benefit.
The 925 has a fully capable processor.

Low RAM devices may have slow downs in gaming and media streams even with an upscaled core processor.
So if you need games and intense post processes more memory will be preferred.

The 630 wins with expandable memory supporting 128GB uhs microSD.
Too bad it's low ram.

Stephen Pedersen

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Personally I say higher RAM is the best benefit.
The 925 has a fully capable processor.

Low RAM devices may have slow downs in gaming and media streams even with an upscaled core processor.
So if you need games and intense post processes more memory will be preferred.

The 630 wins with expandable memory supporting 128GB uhs microSD.
Too bad it's low ram.
I have a Lumia 521 right now. That has a 1gig dual core and 512mb.
I always have duplicates of songs whenever I use my SD Card for storing music on it unfortunately. I've wasted HOURS upon HOURS trying to get that right. So the extra 8gigs of ram in the 925 will be nice. I think i'll get the 925... It's a step up from everything I have right now. :) Thanks so much!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
As with almost any question related to computing performance, the answer is: "it depends". For all practical purposes however, the 925 will be faster at almost everything.

The quad core in the 630 is for marketing purposes only. The integrated CPU has four cores, which for the first time are not krait cores. These are the worst performing cores ever used in a WP8 device to date. The only scenario in which the 630 could theoretically perform better is when running apps that use more than two cores. I'm not aware of a single app on WP that uses more than two cores. Even if such an app did exist, excessive throttling would ensue as soon as the app decided to exercise more than two cores for any notable amount of time, eliminating most of the theoretical benefits (to remain within CPU power and thermal limits).

If you are worried about loading/resuming time, you'll want:
  • to avoid closing apps (so apps that you've opened stay open)
  • fast cores (because app-loading only ever runs on a single core, so fewer but faster cores is much better than having more cores that are slower)
  • lots of memory (increasing the likelihood that a previously launched app will still be in memory, which will avoid app-loading entirely)
For all of the above, the L925 is better.

The only two devices that exhibit better performance than a L925/L920 are the L1520 and L930/Icon, but the differences aren't as big as the numbers on paper would have us believe.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
925 is only dual core vs 630 quad core and the 630 has a newer revision of the cpu. But I would go with 925 just because of the screen and camera.

but its clocked slower and i feel just having more cores wont amount to anything mind blowing.
it still won't compensate for the lower RAM though.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I thought I had read something about the 630 being aimed at more business use.
Could be a loss leader for users in that market.

jpal12

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The 925 is about 7% faster than the 630, the gpus are equal in performance, and the 925 has twice as much RAM. The only advantage the 630 has is LPDDR3 RAM.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The 925 is about 7% faster than the 630.

A statement like that is a rough ballpark estimate at best. At the very least you'd also have to mention what it does 7% faster. You can't even say 7% on average, as that would be dependent on what the owner uses it for. I know a lot of consumers prefer simple answers, but that just doesn't jive with how technology actually works.

Last edited:

nusense

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
but its clocked slower and i feel just having more cores wont amount to anything mind blowing.
it still won't compensate for the lower RAM though.
Not knowing the bench marks i can't say which cpu is faster. But slower clock speed doesn't always mean its going to be slower, when the 630 is running a newer chipset\cpu. You can't compare really compare clock speed between two different cpu. Like I said I don't know which one is faster, but the 630 is limited because of the 512 ram. But I was just responding in regards of the cpu not the ram.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
When comparing GPUs, the Adreno 225 still smokes the 305 that one can find in the 630, it's like comparing a Nvidia GTX 580 with a GT 620, 2-3 Gen old graphics but still kicks bu**

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs