How long will the 925 last for you...

santis00

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
So I have had my 925 for about 10 months now. It's on T-Mobile and I did the jump thinking there would be better windows phones coming I could upgrade to. 10 months later no new phones. It also appears that nothing better is going to be coming in the near future either.

The phone is still in great shape. Still works like a charm. Still have better pictures than my wifes iPhone and over all I would want to keep the Windows platform. Just getting irritated that T-Mobile does not seem to be coming out with a better phone...

Thoughts? Am I just being to impatient knowing I can upgrade anytime? Would I dare even going to a S5 or LG G2?

I think what pisses me off the most if of course I purchased this new and now you can get it for $200.. Which is probably less than I owe on it. maybe I should just pay it off, and then purchase an unlocked 1520?

Just wanted to see if anyone else was in this same boat or if I just need to quit whining.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Quit whining :winktongue:

I can see your points there.
Being noobster to high end smart Windows Phones I will probably keep this 925 till it's just a sorry piece of junk.

I don't really jump from device to device although I did with the WinPhone.
Sounds like you may just want for the sake of wanting...and I can appreciate that.

Heck the S5 looks like a pretty slick device actually.
I would love to have a 1020 even though some consider it a dinosaur.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I think any phone with an SD card or 32GB of internal storage will be pretty well future proofed for a bit. The problem with the 925 (T-Mo Version) is the 16GB of storage. There's no way around that limit. It's not even up to par with the 810, that with the developer preview has access to 72GB of storage with a 64GB card and 8GB internal.

Typically, I will have between 5-7GB open on my 925, but if I don't offload my photos often and watch the games I have installed, I am toast. Last night I looked at it showed 3MB open... Had a bit of maintenance to do there...

The 925 is a stellar piece of hardware with a brilliant camera, gorgeous display and a form factor that is almost untouched even a year later. The mistake that was made was allowing it to hit the market without adding in that SD slot or equipping it with enough memory to make it a long term performer. At the time it came out though, T-Mobile was still pushing fully unlimited plans, which made the memory limit a non-issue. Unfortunately, now you pay extra to keep the unlimited going.

shaggydave

May 30, 2012
Visit site
925 is a beautiful and or best made nokia still to date. In my opinion. I had it from day one! I love it! But j want the nokia Lumia 1520 or 1520.3

PostItNote

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile seems to have abandoned the high end Windows Phone market - only AT&T & Verizon are getting the good stuff in the US now. I plan on keeping my 925 until next year, although a 4.7"-5" iPhone with OIS would tempt me for sure. This model year seems like an "evolution" year for phones - everythign ist just slightly better than last year across all platforms, except the iPhone 5S whose functional fingerprint reader and the M7 co-processor are both very useful (I have an 5S for work).

On the software side, 8.1 is the big leap forward and definitely my friends have taken notice. A faster 41MP WP8.1 device could tempt me as well. Or a "Surface quality" phone from Microsoft - a magnesium alloy shell with 41MP and the most modern Qualcomm chip would definitely have be drooling.

santis00

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
This is part or maybe the major issue. I have had to copy over my photos to my desktop a few times (luckily I have plenty of one drive space as well) just to have a backup, then delete them from my phone.

I agree, the 1520.3 would be pretty sweet as well.

zultar

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I cancelled jump since there wasn't anything to JUMP to. I'm thinking about the 1520 to but am waiting on AIO to take over cricket in my area. I might move there and get cheaper WPs

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
My 925 will last until it breaks or until I like something better. I'm actually pretty surprised nothing's been announced that has enough benefits for me to make me plan to switch. A 5" version of the 1520 might have done it. Without SD the 930/Icon hardware specs don't make me want to give up the 925's looks. Never thought I'd be that shallow. LoL

Last edited:

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I love my 925 and, despite the low storage, I think it will hold me over for another 6-9 months until the new 8.1 devices start to come out, but I'll have to be honest, I have recently been looking at what it would cost to move my 4 lines to a different carrier that better supports the Windows Phone platform. I'm getting tired of being excited for new phones only to be left out of the picture because T-mobile refuses to consistently support the high-end. This might be the year that I leave T-mobile.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I love my 925 and, despite the low storage, I think it will hold me over for another 6-9 months until the new 8.1 devices start to come out, but I'll have to be honest, I have recently been looking at what it would cost to move my 4 lines to a different carrier that better supports the Windows Phone platform. I'm getting tired of being excited for new phones only to be left out of the picture because T-mobile refuses to consistently support the high-end. This might be the year that I leave T-mobile.
Don't do it. At least not for that reason. Your problem isn't really that T-Mobile doesn't sell the phone(s) you want. The problem is that in the US we have let the carriers become the defacto place to buy phones. Which is like letting the phone company tell you what cordless phone to use (if you still did that) or letting your gas station tell you what car to drive. You talk about switching carriers because yours doesn't have the phone you want. Do you want to keep doing that when the carrier you moved to doesn't have the next phone you want? It doesn't have to be that way. It's not that way most places and for LOTS of very good reasons. And the phone(s) you want probably have Country Version (CV) ROMs. So if you want a phone your carrier doesn't sell or don't want to pay more than you should for the phone, buy an unlocked one and flash it with the ROM for your country. Now you might not want even the slightest different ways of doing things and that's fine. I'm just letting you know that there are alternatives to constantly jumping from carrier to carrier to get the phone you want.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I think most people's 925's will last them until there is something to Jump to or if they pay it off. That said, leaving T-Mo for another carrier just doesn't make financial sense. You would be better off buying unlocked and coming to T-Mobile and saving monthly.

Right now, I can walk out the door with a Lumia 521 - a not too shabby entry level device - and two years of Simple Starter service for under $1200. With the 8.1 update the 521 might be more attractive than the 925 due to the SD slot. AT&T keeps up pretty well with their 520 for $50 and the $40 a month 500min/500MB GoPhone plan. If you need more data, you can always go unlimited with T-Mobile for more cash or buy extra data from AT&T.

As far as family plans go, T-Mobile for a family of 4 runs about $120 a month (family plan each with 1GB of data) + devices. This makes a two year price of $2880 + hardware. Grab 4 of the 925's off HSN right now and you have a total cost of under $3700 with taxes. AT&T is running a plan with "FREE" devices will set you back about $280 (family plan with 4 925's for free and 4GB of shared data) a month or $6720 for the full 24 months. That's $3000 more. Unless coverage is an issue, don't jump ship.

The 925 keeps your T-Mobile bill very affordable, especially if you snag the $200 discount model from whoever is selling them this week. It's a great phone, and it doesn't add $20-30 a month to your bill if you buy it outright. As long as you aren't depending on having 100's of Apps and games on it and you have Wi-Fi access often to upload your photos to Onedrive, you should be in good shape with it. 200GB of Onedrive space is $100 a year, so adding that to a $1150 cell phone bill over 2 years, along with a $200 phone, makes a ton of sense - and eliminates the need for an SD card in most cases.

mgr925

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I love my 925. Only got it like a month ago. Knew it was not top of the pops. But im really impressed with how it runs. Batt time not so impressive but fine when you compare it with a HTC One X wich was my old phone.

I might get the 930 when it ships to Denmark.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
As far as family plans go, T-Mobile for a family of 4 runs about $120 a month (family plan each with 1GB of data)
I think its even cheaper than that:

mb398n.png

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Nope, $120 is about right with the taxes and fees added...

You have line one at $50, line two at $30 and lines three and four at $10 each. That makes the bill $100 a month, plus about 15-20% in taxes and fees. That makes the total due about $120 a month. That is still a steal for unlimited service for 4 lines if your coverage is good. Especially if you can get a great device for $100-200 outright!

Stephen Pedersen

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I'll keep mine until WP9 comes around. I love the design, build quality, and performance on 8.1. I just wish that Microsoft steps up their game and fixes all the bugs in Xbox Music and their Podcast app. The coding is horrendous. Every time I use the Podcast it's a 50/50 chance it will work. Very disappointed, MS.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Well since Jump is also insurance, its not like you are getting $0 value. I have jump and would love to use as well (except a 6" phone..no way would carry that around) but had to use for faulty ear speaker on my 925 and only was $5 for replacement...so worth it.

shinkamui

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Waiting for tmobile to surprise me with a 1020 or 930. Otherwise waiting for the 1520.3 to become available.

Sent from my RM-893_nam_tmous_201 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss