My main worry is battery life. I updated my 920, and the serious decrease in battery life is what's making me question updating my new 925. Is the battery life decrease bad on the 925 like it was on the 920? In the 8.1 forum, the recent posts under the pinned battery life thread make it seem like for some reason their battery life with 8.1 has gotten better somehow lately.
    05-11-2014 02:40 PM
    I think that with all the debugging and underlying bugs will make any device running WP8.1 have a decrease in battery life. I've found that both my 925, 521 and 1520 have reduced life. It looks like Microsoft will be releasing the official update late June or early July.
    05-11-2014 02:45 PM
    Mine was bad until I hard reset, then it was somewhat OK/normal after that. (ATT 920 on French ROM + Black)

Worth noting the 925 and 920 are nearly identical for all intents and purposes, save for display tech. (same battery size and internals for the most part)
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-11-2014 04:11 PM
    I am waiting for official release of wp8.1 for my Lumia.
    05-16-2014 04:35 PM
    Updated yesterday. Make sure you hard reset after the update and don't restore your backup. Took me 7 charge cycles to confirm that. Battery life is significantly better after the hard reset and non restore.

Sent from my RM-893_nam_tmous_201 using Tapatalk
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-17-2014 06:48 PM
    when should the official release hit? i'm excited for it.
    05-17-2014 09:23 PM
    I've had my 925 10 minutes and its already being updated to 8.1, my Nokia 920 I had before I tried it out with 8.1 and its amazing, I fully recommend, doing a full hard reset once you have updated and start setting the phone up from scratch its worth it.
    05-19-2014 09:41 AM
    Do text messages still trickle in from the back up on a hard reset? That is, do the old texts still get loaded if you choose to start from scratch instead of restoring from a back up?

Thanks.
    05-21-2014 12:56 AM
    My main worry is battery life. I updated my 920, and the serious decrease in battery life is what's making me question updating my new 925. Is the battery life decrease bad on the 925 like it was on the 920? In the 8.1 forum, the recent posts under the pinned battery life thread make it seem like for some reason their battery life with 8.1 has gotten better somehow lately.
    This is weird. I have a 920 with developer preview and have had 0 issues with battery drain. Now if you have GPS on all the time to keep corrana active then of course it will drain quick, the 920 always drained quick with GPS on. After update 1 though leaving GPS on for Cortana has gotten much better. You should toy with your settings my 920 lasts as well as before the wp8.1 update and my usage hasn't changed.
    05-21-2014 01:25 AM
    I have my 810 updated to 8.1, but I'm waiting until the official 8.1 release before I update my 925. Some have said there are Wi-Fi calling issues with their 925s that they updated via the developer preview. I would rather be safe than sorry, which is why I'm waiting. Of course, this won't be the case if you have a 925 on AT&T or a global version.
    05-21-2014 10:10 AM
    New features are great - I would update! And I have! 3 times now!!

The latest 8.1.1 update REALLY helped my 925. Easily getting a full days use again. Using phone approximately 6 hours throughout day/night. Half hour here, half hour there, sometimes for an hour. No heating issues either.

Cortana (love her lol), Battery and WPCentral all pinned and running in background!!

Totally different experience since 8.1.1 update ... at least for me. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

I'd DEFINITELY suggest doing a hard reset BEFORE and AFTER install though! And deleting apps that have caused you problems in the past. Can download them fresh again after install.

Good luck ๐Ÿ€
    Last edited by Michael Kozak; 05-21-2014 at 10:41 AM.
    05-21-2014 10:21 AM
    I did it and i'm very happy with my 925!! with medium usage i can have 2 days without charging it. but that all depends on what you have running in the background and the time you use it per day... lets say i use the net one and a half hour some calls and messages and no games. 6 apps running in background. i think its ok for me. but like you see i'm not a heavy user... apart from that all run ok with no problems at all. very happy.
    oviedofreak82 likes this.
    05-21-2014 10:35 AM
    This is weird. I have a 920 with developer preview and have had 0 issues with battery drain. Now if you have GPS on all the time to keep corrana active then of course it will drain quick, the 920 always drained quick with GPS on. After update 1 though leaving GPS on for Cortana has gotten much better. You should toy with your settings my 920 lasts as well as before the wp8.1 update and my usage hasn't changed.
    My GPS has never been turned off since I got it, and it easily lasted 14-15 hours of medium usage before 8.1 preview.
    06-01-2014 02:14 PM
    @Helder Costa1 Am happy for you. This is not my case. I use my phone frequently to browse the net, check emails and watch youtube videos and read forums. Before my lumia 620 held its own as it last for a day (even with WP8.1) but my new Lumia 925 sucks battery life like Dracula just came out of the desert. It overheats too! What a bummer. Its the best looking Windows Phone to date.
    06-03-2014 08:12 AM
    A lot of people missed this, but when you update to 8.1, any apps you had disabled from running in the background were turned on again. Once I went through and checked all of those, my battery life has been great.
    Sent from my RM-893_nam_tmous_201 using Tapatalk
    metalchick719 likes this.
    06-03-2014 08:25 PM
    OMG battery life after the 8.1 update has been great!
    06-03-2014 09:29 PM
    I'll wait untill the official Lumia Cyan update rolls out. Keep in mind that if you manually update to 8.1, your warranty will void!
    06-03-2014 11:53 PM
    I wouldn't even use Windows phone without 8.1! It is that good and shame on them for not letting everyone know this joy.
    06-06-2014 04:23 PM
    I'll wait untill the official Lumia Cyan update rolls out. Keep in mind that if you manually update to 8.1, your warranty will void!
    Why do you think it would void your warranty?
    06-06-2014 08:44 PM
    Non-factory firmware. ;)
    Read for example this, on the original Nokia forum. ;)
    Will the warranty be void,if updated to WP 8.1 dev... - Nokia Support Discussions

Also Microsoft warns that the warranty "may void".
    Windows Phone Dev Center

Luckily you can recover a Nokia to the previous Lumia Black. But if your phone doesn't work at all, that won't help.
    06-07-2014 03:05 AM
    Non-factory firmware. ;)
    Read for example this, on the original Nokia forum. ;)
    Will the warranty be void,if updated to WP 8.1 dev... - Nokia Support Discussions

Also Microsoft warns that the warranty "may void".
    Windows Phone Dev Center
    First, I am unaware of ANY firmware updates coming from the Developers Preview program, just the OS.

Your second link is from Microsoft which is just covering their **** by saying it MAY void the warranty. Clearly Microsoft can not know minute by minute what every manufacturer and carrier's policy will be. Note they did not say it WILL void the warranty for ANY phone. They are just saying they can not speak for any manufacturer or carrier.

The first link just references the second link. So together they do not say one way or the other whether warranty is voided.

An analysis done of the Nokia warranty in another thread indicates the phone hardware warranty is NOT effected by use of the Developer Preview of 8.1. You may not be able to get software support, but that is just common sense. If you are having a software problem, just fall back to WP8.

Luckily you can recover a Nokia to the previous Lumia Black. But if your phone doesn't work at all, that won't help.
    Black is firmware and is not part of the WP8.1 DP and I don't think DP updates the firmware.

As for reverting back to WP8. I believe that can be done without booting up WP8.1 so basically, if someone can't revert to WP8, it is a hardware problem which would still be covered by the hardware warranty OR a software problem with the Nokia program to revert the phone back to WP8.

Or am I missing something?
    06-07-2014 08:58 AM