why won't my phone connect to laptop any more?

realslimshady

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Only had my 925 a month. Noticed it would only connect via usb to laptop if I used a specific cable-the one that came with the phone, and another similar one, of the various cables I have kicking around. I tried others, which would initially connect, bring up the windows phone screen, then say 'having trouble locating your phone'
Now, it won't connect even with the month old Nokia-supplied cable. First time of trying this morning, it did as above, connected, then decided it couldn't find the phone, and now, not registering the phone at all. USB is working because the phone is charging, just not making the data connection. Is this a hardware (i.e phone socket) problem? Bit annoying, because I love the phone otherwise...:devil:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Depending on how good you are with computers I have a few suggestions for you. If you have any trouble understanding this you can ask some questions or get someone who knows what to do.

Step 1 - remove existing drivers for Windows Phone on the laptop.
Step 2 - do a soft rest on your phone
Step 3 - ensure you're connected to WiFi or internet on your laptop and the connection is good.
Step 4 - plug your phone into your laptop with the Nokia cable with the phone unlocked
Step 5 - be patient as the driver installation takes some time

This should fix your issue.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
You don't have to go through so much trouble if your phone isn't being recognized by your computer. I had this same issue with my 920 a few months back. Keep your phone connected to the computer via USB cable and simply reboot it. Your computer should recognize it again after it reboots! :smile:

realslimshady

May 27, 2014
Visit site
You don't have to go through so much trouble if your phone isn't being recognized by your computer. I had this same issue with my 920 a few months back. Keep your phone connected to the computer via USB cable and simply reboot it. Your computer should recognize it again after it reboots! :smile:
Hmmm. After two attempts at a system restore, I connected phone and switched off and on. Ended up with the same 'cannot find your phone' screen. Tried a soft reset on the phone while connected-nothing.
Can't work out how to remove the drivers, as per the first suggestion, anyone help me with that?
Cheers

realslimshady

May 27, 2014
Visit site
not getting anywhere. tried to find some drivers at Microsoft, but as my phone is not appearing on the device list in Device manager, it's not possible-for me anyway-to update the driver manually. I also updated my phone software, after that-hooray! the computer 'saw' it, and opened the 'what's on your phone' screen. For about 5 seconds. Then, 'connect your phone'. Oooh-then it saw the phone again, briefly. Then back to 'connect your phone'. And that's where I am now. Great phone. Sh*t Windows 8

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
not getting anywhere. tried to find some drivers at Microsoft, but as my phone is not appearing on the device list in Device manager, it's not possible-for me anyway-to update the driver manually. I also updated my phone software, after that-hooray! the computer 'saw' it, and opened the 'what's on your phone' screen. For about 5 seconds. Then, 'connect your phone'. Oooh-then it saw the phone again, briefly. Then back to 'connect your phone'. And that's where I am now. Great phone. Sh*t Windows 8

Which operating system is installed on your laptop?

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
You do need to make sure that the cable you have is compatible for data transfers. There are quite a few out there that are "charging" cables that won't work for data transfers due to the pin configurations. You don't NEED to use the Nokia cables, but most of the $1 specials at Amazon are lower quality at best and have tons of issues when they are used for anything but charging.

Other than that N_LaRue has it nailed for the steps to make sure everything is setup correctly.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
FYI The desktop app does nothing to help the phone be identified by the PC.
You are probably better off not starting it until the drivers load for the phone.

realslimshady

May 27, 2014
Visit site
This might be a good suggestion, as I have done the similar way, adding all drivers by installing Nokia Software Updater (for retail) 4.1 - it will install all drivers too, when you install it ... it works usually (a computer will find cp) ...
just installed NSU for retail....nope, still nothing, phone charges but not registering on computer. getting peed off now

realslimshady

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Ok, finally! Having uninstalled NSU but left all the other stuff it installed (various drivers) I then tried the phone-restart-while-plugged-in, and I'm cautiously optimistic, as I've unplugged and replugged a few times, and transferred a few pictures, all ok so far. Hope that's the end of it!

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Ok, finally! Having uninstalled NSU but left all the other stuff it installed (various drivers) I then tried the phone-restart-while-plugged-in, and I'm cautiously optimistic, as I've unplugged and replugged a few times, and transferred a few pictures, all ok so far. Hope that's the end of it!

Lets hope!

Stashman

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I am having same problem with my Lumia 720. I never had this problem until recenlty. then i noticed if i connect to another computer my phone gets detected immediately. However, other phones get detected on my computer except for a 1020 i tried connecting. so I should say windows phone is not connecting.
I went to computer manager as you suggested but i get a blank page under device manager. any other way I can go around this? thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs