WTF moment: Turning OFF battery saver did improve the battery life on my Lumia 925

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Okay so I got this new Lumia 925. I was so happy I got it at a discounted price (around 20% OFF). Its unlocked. So first thing to do was update to WP8.1 and the updates that came after it.
Camera is outstanding, screen is very good etc. but battery life is mediocre and the phone overheats while using IE. My experience is like I charge it the whole night wake up around 6:30AM use it with occasional browsing, FB, twitter, youtube and before you know it around 9:00 AM its almost at 50%.

I did some research, tried almost everything until I stumbled upon the post of this guy -georgebridi
and his tip on disabling battery saver did it for me. I know it is weird but it is true for me. I even bought batter performance app to validate it. So try this one tip. Disable battery saver on your L925 and see.

I hope the upcoming Cyan update will address the issue of heat and battery life completely.

Cheers!

djslofstra

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
No overheating and battery life problems on WP8 Black. ;)
I can run my phone all day long on a single batterycharge (6:00 till 22:00) and I use it quite a lot. I never have overheating problems when I'm using Internet explorer, not even when I'm watching video's on Youtube via IE.
My phone only tends to get a little hot when I am using the phone (especially watch HD video's) while it's connected to the charger.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
No overheating and battery life problems on WP8 Black. ;)
I can run my phone all day long on a single batterycharge (6:00 till 22:00) and I use it quite a lot. I never have overheating problems when I'm using Internet explorer, not even when I'm watching video's on Youtube via IE.
My phone only tends to get a little hot when I am using the phone (especially watch HD video's) while it's connected to the charger.
Now go visit a lung cancer ward and tell them you smoke 3 packs a day and never been sick a day in your life. j/k

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Shame, friend of mine died from lung cancer and never smoked a day in his life. My uncle died of lung cancer and he smoked Paul Mall unfiltered, over 2 packs a day since he was a kid. He died at the age of 97. Weird how that works. But I shut off my battery saver and now last all day. Go figure.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 with AT&T using Tapatalk

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, this is sort of an oxymoron, no? Battery saver's purpose is to SAVE your battery, yet it actually drains it? Insane, lol. I think I might try this. Using my 810 today and I'm charging it on my laptop... Just turned off Battery Saver and I'll leave a report later about it as the day goes on.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, this is sort of an oxymoron, no? Battery saver's purpose is to SAVE your battery, yet it actually drains it? Insane, lol. I think I might try this. Using my 810 today and I'm charging it on my laptop... Just turned off Battery Saver and I'll leave a report later about it as the day goes on.

There have been similar reports of having things like location and NFC turned on, and it's improving battery life. Most strange... I shall also experiment with this on my 620 with it's paltry 1300mA battery... roll on when I can get my shiny 1320.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
There have been similar reports of having things like location and NFC turned on, and it's improving battery life. Most strange... I shall also experiment with this on my 620 with it's paltry 1300mA battery... roll on when I can get my shiny 1320.

Location I always have turned on on my phones. NFC?? Only used that feature twice, and that was only so my mom could send me photos from her 620. How bizarre that people are noticing their battery life improving with those things turned on!

Sobralobo

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Location I always have turned on on my phones. NFC?? Only used that feature twice, and that was only so my mom could send me photos from her 620. How bizarre that people are noticing their battery life improving with those things turned on!

I find this bizarre too, using my 925, I found that my battery would last as much with Wi-Fi, location, Cortana always on as with no Cortana and everything turned off (less the phone of course :p).

djslofstra

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Now go visit a lung cancer ward and tell them you smoke 3 packs a day and never been sick a day in your life. j/k
I'm fckn serious! But it's true what I say, I hate it when a phone doesn't last a whole day, that's why I chose the L925 with it's rather big battery capacity.
I went up at 6 this morning , now (18:00) I'm at 22%. I have been on the web for 3+ hours, listened 1 hours to the radio and listened 2 hours to music, watched a couple of youtube videos and used whatsapp, snapchat and facebook. This day, since I used my phone quite much, I haven't had wifi on all day long. I have had it on for most of the time though. I have made sure that my only background task are whatsapp and battery monitor. Glance off, double tap to unlock on, Wi-Fi automatically turns off when the phone is locked for a while. Bluetooth off, location on, 3G/4G off. Battery saver automatically kicks in at 22 percent or so. Everywhere I see people having problems with the phone I don't have. It almost seems I have another phone. :D

I have had a couple of Nokias my last phone before this one was a Nokia 500 (Symbian), I have experience with the 3310, 3510, 5230, 500, Lumia 800, Lumia 720 and some other Nokia phones. The battery in my 925 last much longer than the one in the 5230, 500 (the 500's battery was terrible after a year) and L800. Both my partents have a L720 and that battery lasts 4 days, they don't use it very much though (only for whatsapp basically) and shut it down at night.

Last edited:

Skaughtto

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Testing it out, but I felt like the major advantage of battery saver was turning off some background apps and preventing accounts from syncing. I'd be really extremely surprised if this worked.

Although my Lumia 521 did seem to get better battery life with Bluetooth active at all times... Isn't NFC just Bluetooth?

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Testing it out, but I felt like the major advantage of battery saver was turning off some background apps and preventing accounts from syncing. I'd be really extremely surprised if this worked.

Although my Lumia 521 did seem to get better battery life with Bluetooth active at all times... Isn't NFC just Bluetooth?

Nope.. NFC is quite different. Amongst other things it can be used for contactless payment if your SIM supports it. It can also send images (for example), just by tapping two compatible devices together... Bluetooh requires you to set it all up and pair said devices to perform the same action. Bluetooth also handles wireless headsets and some audio systems.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I find this bizarre too, using my 925, I found that my battery would last as much with Wi-Fi, location, Cortana always on as with no Cortana and everything turned off (less the phone of course :p).

My 925 drained like crazy yesterday to start off the day, but I think it was because I barely got a signal where I was for half an hour to 45 minutes. It was insane! At one point during the evening, I rebooted it because there was an odd glitch with my People hub (only six people's photos were shuffling). After that, the Battery Pro+ app said my phone was draining at around 14% per hour! :shocked: I just put the phone down and it later went back down to 3.21% per hour. But before I finally put it on the charger, the battery had drained to 10%. That's easily the lowest it's ever gone, and it actually went to 8% because that's what Battery Pro+ read just as I connected the charger. Before the 8.1 update, my 925 was going a day between charging. This sort of thing makes me really miss using my 920, which went over 60 hours between charging at times.

Oh, and I too have Wi-Fi, Location and Cortana always on on both my 925 and 810.

chris_gt

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Tried this too on the 925 a couple of months ago since I had read the same suggestion somewhere, didn't make a difference.

To compare battery life from different people on a forum is generally pointless. Signal strength is different for every country, carrier, area, building, and it is a major factor on battery usage.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the OP meant turning of the battery saver background task improved battery because the background task makes the battery saver tile change, which drains the battery(go figure) battery saver is still good for increasing battery life.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the OP meant turning of the battery saver background task improved battery because the background task makes the battery saver tile change, which drains the battery(go figure) battery saver is still good for increasing battery life.

Yeah I'm still a little confused. I have battery saver On but have it disabled from running in the background. Should both settings be disabled?

Lately it seems the only thing really killing my battery is these piece of junk Facebook apps. Both the regular FB app and FB Beta have both been eating up more than usual battery since the last two updates. Hope a huge fix is coming soon! :unhappy:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb