Is there some central information point everyone checks to find out when 8.1 will be released in their area? I'd like to know if there's any estimated date in France.
    Thanks!
    06-10-2014 06:43 AM
    No there is not, because carriers don't make that information public. Your carrier decides when the rollout occurs, so how committed your carrier is to updating WP devices on their network is far more important than where you live.
    06-10-2014 06:50 AM
    So, is this method of getting a dev account worth it? Are there limitations, problems, etc? Does it completely void my warranty?
    06-10-2014 07:27 AM
    So, is this method of getting a dev account worth it? Are there limitations, problems, etc? Does it completely void my warranty?
    You will find answers to those questions all over WPC. I recommend you start here:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...questions.html

Enjoy!
    tpapictures likes this.
    06-10-2014 08:03 AM
    You will find answers to those questions all over WPC. I recommend you start here:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...questions.html
    Enjoy!
    Thanks! Really helpful.
    a5cent likes this.
    06-10-2014 08:26 AM
    Because I'm in France, from what I understand Cortana won't work. Or at least no local search features will be implemented (stores, directions, etc). But if I'm set on English as my phone language, then regular web search should work just fine through Cortana, correct?
    06-10-2014 08:49 AM
    No. Region must also be set to the U.S. , but that isn't really a solution.

Cortana currently knows nothing about the world outside the U.S. which is why it isn't available. Changing language and region will obviously also change other things about how your phone works. Cortana won't be able to track flights, make reservations at any restaurants (which I would consider the most important feature if I lived in France), or tell you anything about the Tour Eiffel.

You can certainly try Cortana out that way, but it won't be what it is meant to be for you (yet).
    06-10-2014 08:57 AM
    No. Region must also be set to the U.S. , but that isn't really a solution.
    Cortana currently knows nothing about the world outside the U.S. which is why it isn't available. Changing language and region will obviously also change other things about how your phone works. Cortana won't be able to track flights, make reservations at any restaurants (which I would consider the most important feature if I lived in France), or tell you anything about the Tour Eiffel.
    You can certainly try Cortana out that way, but it won't be what it is meant to be for you (yet).
    I see, ok. The thing is I don't use voice activated search for anything related to local information (flight tracking, shopping, landmark info). I had Google Now on my old Android phone and found its local search info (in NY) completely useless and time consuming and that was when it actually worked. If you don't visit extremely mainstream stores, these online search places simply don't know what you're looking for or asking. I'd also never make reservations at restaurants using an app. I'd pick up the phone and call the restaurant. (Sidenote: only the most expensive restaurants ever ask for reservations in Paris.) The only thing I'd want from Cortana is texting/looking up people in my phonebook, setting appointments, and doing simple research searches online for information, not geo-specific things. To be honest, the other 8.1 UI elements are more important to me.

Any word on whether 8.1 addresses any of these issues?...
    - attaching more than one document in an an email, without having to use a link to OneDrive
    - setting an IMAP mail prefix in the email program
    06-10-2014 09:13 AM
    Look here for info about updates Availability in Europe - Nokia.
    06-10-2014 01:34 PM
    Look here for info about updates Availability in Europe - Nokia.
    That lists only tells you what is available. It doesn't tell you when you can expect to get an update, which is what the OP asked. Some updates can get stuck in "waiting for approval" status quite some time, because like I said, it's the carriers that decide when updates go live, not Nokia or any other OEM.
    06-10-2014 03:09 PM