Developer Preview issues?

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I keep reading conflicting reports about different phones but I have the Lumia 925 in France. Can anyone who has done the upgrade to 8.1 say for sure whether there are or aren't battery and email problems (or any other ones) on the 925?

pedroos1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes Whatsapp tells me that I have to reboot my phone because the notifications aren't working well. With the battery, during the night (6-8 hours) it drains 5-7 percent along

Sent from my iPad with Tapatalk

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes Whatsapp tells me that I have to reboot my phone because the notifications aren't working well. With the battery, during the night (6-8 hours) it drains 5-7 percent along
Sent from my iPad with Tapatalk
Does it really require hard reseting everything after the installation? How much of what I lose is backed up by Windows Phone's backup utility?

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Does it really require hard reseting everything after the installation? How much of what I lose is backed up by Windows Phone's backup utility?

A hard reset? No. You can back up your photos, SMS, etc to OneDrive. You can back up your start screen layout, but app data isn't included yet, as far as I know.

No one can be certain that any update will work perfectly. But your phone will probably be fine, or is at least as likely to be fine as when you eventually install the 'official' update. I'd take the plunge.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
A hard reset? No. You can back up your photos, SMS, etc to OneDrive. You can back up your start screen layout, but app data isn't included yet, as far as I know.
No one can be certain that any update will work perfectly. But your phone will probably be fine, or is at least as likely to be fine as when you eventually install the 'official' update. I'd take the plunge.
Cool, thanks. Seems everyone over in the Developer Preview forum talks about all the problems and bugs and so on. So, I thought I'd ask people here in the 925 forum. So, then what is with all the people here at WPCentral talking about hard resetting before the update, after the update and then waiting 5 days for the battery to settle and still seeing low battery and their phones overheating?

Skaughtto

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Upgraded to 8.10.12393.890 last night. No issues during the install and no issues today.

I'd been interested in using Visual Studio Express for a while and T-Mobile has been slow historically with their updates. I only hope there's no trouble when the official release comes out.

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
There are people saying now that their phone freezes and shuts off. Anyone here notice that?

I can't think of any software, or indeed hardware, that hasn't had some unexpected bugs or problems. If you allow this to dictate whether or not you update your phone - any phone - you'll never install another update again. Focus on what's good about 8.1. Fortunately I've not had any problems so far.

greenspot

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I keep reading conflicting reports about different phones but I have the Lumia 925 in France. Can anyone who has done the upgrade to 8.1 say for sure whether there are or aren't battery and email problems (or any other ones) on the 925?

I uupgrade to 8.1 and yes i got issues regarding to battery life and heating. Yes, I don't hard reset before upgrading :(.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I can't think of any software, or indeed hardware, that hasn't had some unexpected bugs or problems.
Well, look, I appreciate your input and I do agree with you to a certain extent, but crashes and overheating from the CPU being overworked aren't just bugs or problems. Those are major operational defects which threaten the durability of the phone in the long run. It's not good for the battery, the internal storage or the screen for a phone, any phone, to overheat or crash suddenly.

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Well, look, I appreciate your input and I do agree with you to a certain extent, but crashes and overheating from the CPU being overworked aren't just bugs or problems. Those are major operational defects which threaten the durability of the phone in the long run. It's not good for the battery, the internal storage or the screen for a phone, any phone, to overheat or crash suddenly.

So don't update your phone if you don't want to risk it. You opened this thread asking the question of whether or not there are any issues with the update. The answer is yes and no; yes there are issues (as there are always issues with everything), and no they're not affecting everybody. It's your decision whether or not to install the update. But it seems like your mind was made up before you asked the question. So I'll be moving on now...

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
But it seems like your mind was made up before you asked the question. So I'll be moving on now...

Look, man, I was asking about problems, some people said no to which I then wanted clarification because of what I had heard others say. The fact that I question that doesnt mean you should get irritated with me because I didnt take your word as gospel. So, if I had said, "cool, doing it right now!" you would have thought I was totally fine. If you dont like someones post, move on, like you said. I have very right to ask questions. Thats what a forum is for.

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Look, man, I was asking about problems, some people said no to which I then wanted clarification because of what I had heard others say. The fact that I question that doesnt mean you should get irritated with me because I didnt take your word as gospel. So, if I had said, "cool, doing it right now!" you would have thought I was totally fine. If you dont like someones post, move on, like you said. I have very right to ask questions. Thats what a forum is for.

Huh? The only person irritated here seems to be you. I didn't give you "my word as gospel", I stated a fact, in all its obviousness. There are problems with the update for some people. There aren't problems with the update for some people. You appear to focus on the former, and disregard the latter. In which case, it seems rather silly to bother worrying about the update. In fact, I fully recommend you don't update at this point, for fear of giving yourself a heart attack. Relax and enjoy WP8. I'll continue enjoying WP8.1 Enjoy your day.

Throw Back

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I would wait. My 520 works perfectly. My 1520 occasionally has a mind of its own after the mid May update. The phone either freezes, Cortana opens on its own, or it gets phantom taps on the screen. Some days this phone just is not usable. I took the phone back down to 8, but as soon as I updated again the problems came back. The last time it took a day. Only one time reverting the phone back to 8 it worked properly. I wish I had kept it there.

Cyterio

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I've not had any issues on my At&t 925. I have Cortana "on" but don't use it, and don't have it pinned to my start screen. Battery life for me is pretty much the same as pre 8.1 installation. I didn't perform a hard reset either, and everything seems to be fine.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
My 520 works perfectly. My 1520 occasionally has a mind of its own after the mid May update.
I've not had any issues on my At&t 925. I have Cortana "on" but don't use it, and don't have it pinned to my start screen. Battery life for me is pretty much the same as pre 8.1 installation. I didn't perform a hard reset either, and everything seems to be fine.
I wonder what specifically it is that determines whether this thing runs well or not. Bit concerning considering this is what developers are using to test their new apps. Weird that it would cause so much inconsistency. From what I've gathered here, having Cortana "on", having Cortana using geolocation, and not resetting seem to be the things people really mention a lot but I think it's likely to be something else... who knows how many apps not yet tested for 8.1 people are using (that maybe connect online a lot for functionality) on their phones they've updated. Maybe lots of apps that get stuck in an attempting to connect cycle which drains the battery. The OS is just one program. It can't be the OS update that is causing such varied responses. It must be each individual user's phone and the app situation on them. Auto notifications, auto connect to servers, etc etc...

jamrock60

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Just did the 3rd refresh update so far very good. Before there was a lag in screen refresh when going from application to application. Now their is more of a snappier response and very little lag. No other problem with any application

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb