Is The Camera Any Good?

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
AFAIK 925 is awesome in low-light conditions. 1020 probably does an awesome job as well since it has a huge photosensor and, as a result, more light capturing. I think it's a great phone for its price.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It won't wreck the 930, 1520, etc. but it is still very respectable.
It's a slight upgrade over the 920 with an extra lens, but I dont know what effect it has.

I gotten some nice shots out of my 920 and it holds up well.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
It won't wreck the 930, 1520, etc. but it is still very respectable.
It's a slight upgrade over the 920 with an extra lens, but I dont know what effect it has.

I gotten some nice shots out of my 920 and it holds up well.

The 6th lens is for increased low-light sensibility.
(c) Nokia/MS

djslofstra

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
What makes the camera so good to you guys compared to other smartphones?
Duh... It is called 6 Carl Zeiss lenses and Pureview, bro. :D

Haha, now for real:
Carl Zeiss optics, Pureview, dual LED flash, F number Diafragma is 2.0 which means that the sensor is capable to catch a lot of light (the lower number, the better), two stage camera button for faster and more comfortable shooting, and now a very special one: OPTICAL image stabilization (OIS).

This test proves that this phone has a much more capable camera, especially in low light, compared to all the android crap out there. The video on the 925 is much sharper, the color reproduction is nicer and the OIS works really well:

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What makes the camera so good to you guys compared to other smartphones?

Nokia is legendary for their camera software in the smartphone arena. The 925 is no exception. Nokia just seems to pay more attention to detail in terms of imaging. Screens, cameras and post shot editing are all top notch under the Nokia label.

johnskrilla

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Video looks good on the youtube link provided. How about the pictures compared to a Samsung Galaxy S4 or Iphone 5..? I looked at some photos on the Nokia Lumia pictures thread and I couldn't tell the difference. I also seen a someone posted a picture of he/she claims to be HDR and it looked horrible. How is the HDR..?

Not sure if these are photoshop or not but is the HDR capable of doing effects like these..?
6344025449_8ae62b9c59_z.jpg

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Nope, it won't... The image you have there is completely photoshopped to the max... That said...

The 925 camera is very good for a camera. Nokia's Cam/Cam Beta software makes it an even stronger replacement for a point and shoot camera. I have even taken a few shots with my 925 that measure up to some of the best DSLR shots that I have managed to snag over the years. That said, I don't know that I would say it is the best option for everyone out there. I'll start with the cons and work back to the pros...

Cons:

- Extremely limited memory (a 925 with minimal Apps and music loaded on it will carry about 8-10GB of open storage - with HD Video taking 1GB for 15 minutes, that means you could shoot for about 2 hours of video before maxing it out)
- No RAW processing like the 930/1020/1520 for major editing
- Very short battery life when shooting at proper brightness: when the screen is in heavy use, the battery drains quickly
- Saturation levels are a bit soft, which photographers will fix in post, but for the average user, they may appear a bit dull: adjusting the screen to a cooler tone will help you see this while you shoot
- Lack of compatible accessories makes special shots difficult: when you look at clip on lenses from places like Amazon, the placement of the camera lens makes it hard to fit them on
- There is no adjustment in the settings for sharpness, saturation or contrast like many other phone cams

Pros:

- The OIS is amazing on it and when combined with the physical shutter button, it is one of the most stable shooters around.
- Nokia Cam controls are the fastest adjustments on the market - by far!
- At 8MP the image sizes aren't too large to store - 38MP images can be a pain to store on cloud systems.
- The speed of the camera is decent. The HTC One is a bit faster from open to shoot, but I haven't seen much else that keeps up from pocket to photo, but that's the case with almost every WP.
- The minimal focal distance is very small. It seems to be about 3" tops, where as the HTC has about 4"... Doesn't seem like much, but if you are going macro, it's a huge difference.

Overall, the 925 is a great camera, but not something where you would want to use it for production purposes. Even the 1020 is marginal for this. That said, I have used my 925 for some promotional flyers at work and rendered some amazing prints from it. Remember, it's not the camera that creates the image, it's the photographer's eye. Fortunately, the 925 gets along really well with my eye. Now if they would only enable external USB support through the USB port life would be good!

djslofstra

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, the Iphone 5 doesn't have a particularly good camera.
In this Nokia commercial you can see that the Nokia L925 has a much more capable camera:

In this video it is compared to the Xperia Z1 (watch after 7:26):

It is hard to compare it to the S4: In sunny conditions the S4 seems, due it's higher resolution, to give a bit nicer and more detailed pictures. In low light situation the L925 crushes and burns the S4 though (whatch after 5:16):

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire