More problems with 925 camera

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I've always been skeptical of cell phones as replacements for digital cameras, even point and shoots. This picture confirms my suspicions.
Witness the distortion of the buildings caused by my 925. I assure you, these buildings are standing straight!
barn.jpg
So, the 925 fails to capture colors correctly (see my previous post), it also has severe perspective issues too!
Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy my 520 and 925. I just can't trust their cameras. After all, they ARE cell phones!!!!

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
This is due to taking the photo from different perspectives, or point of view. Try taking it from a different angle or height. If not, your camera lens have some serious distortions xP

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Can you post this same picture in a server who not destroy EXIF (like imgur)? Because seems to me a bad situtation (cloudy day) for a autoshot. Maybe the autosettings put it on High ISO (400 or something).

If you want good pics you need to understand how this works. And that's a "tip" for all type of cameras, smartphones or not.

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Can you post this same picture in a server who not destroy EXIF (like imgur)? Because seems to me a bad situtation (cloudy day) for a autoshot. Maybe the autosettings put it on High ISO (400 or something).

If you want good pics you need to understand how this works. And that's a "tip" for all type of cameras, smartphones or not.
I'm disappointed to have to ask this, but I can't seem to find EXIF information for my pictures when I view them on the camera!!
Therefore, I can't tell the ISO, shutter speed, color balance, ect!!!!

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm disappointed to have to ask this, but I can't seem to find EXIF information for my pictures when I view them on the camera!!
Therefore, I can't tell the ISO, shutter speed, color balance, ect!!!!

When the pic is on the device, you can't view these information on Windows. You will need copy to PC or use apps like Nokia Camera or Picture Info.

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
When the pic is on the device, you can't view these information on Windows. You will need copy to PC or use apps like Nokia Camera or Picture Info.
I was able to view the settings with Picture Info on the above photo: ISO 100, exposure 1/218, aperture f/2 and meter mode 1.
Unless I'm missing something, the 925 has a fixed aperture of f/2. Thus, one cannot control the focal point which perhaps caused the parallax distortion, and certainly renders the ability to set the ISO and shutter speed as next to meaningless, in my opinion!!!

djslofstra

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Unless I'm missing something, the 925 has a fixed aperture of f/2. TRUE Thus, one cannot control the focal point which perhaps caused the parallax distortion WRONG, and certainly renders the ability to set the ISO and shutter speed as next to meaningless, THE WRONGEST THING IN THE WORLD in my opinion!!!

Thomas Schindler

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
1) the distortion is, in my opinion, caused by the angle you took the picture. Especially with phones, you tend to hold it in a different way you would hold a dslr. Distortion caused by the lens should be corrected in-phone.
2) This shot is underexposed, which causes the greens in this picture to appear washed out.

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
1) the distortion is, in my opinion, caused by the angle you took the picture. Especially with phones, you tend to hold it in a different way you would hold a dslr. Distortion caused by the lens should be corrected in-phone.
2) This shot is underexposed, which causes the greens in this picture to appear washed out.
Yes, the distortion may have been caused by how I was holding the camera. I will try the shot some different ways this evening.
No, it was not underexposed as it was the cloud formation that I was trying to capture. The cloud image is acceptable. However, I was very surprised by the "leaning buildings."

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes, now I am pretty sure that the parallax distortion was due to the angle that I held the camera relative to the scene.
However, three things are necessary to control the amount of light the camera captures:
1 Shutter speed
2 Aperture size
3 ISO (ASA)

Usually, one would use the lowest ISO to capture the most details with the least artifacts. In my opinion, a fixed lens leaves one with just one physical control-the shutter speed to do this.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes, now I am pretty sure that the parallax distortion was due to the angle that I held the camera relative to the scene.
However, three things are necessary to control the amount of light the camera captures:
1 Shutter speed
2 Aperture size
3 ISO (ASA)

Usually, one would use the lowest ISO to capture the most details with the least artifacts. In my opinion, a fixed lens leaves one with just one physical control-the shutter speed to do this.

This has nothing to do with your problem at all btw. That's what he's trying to tell you

Thomas Schindler

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site

That's not entirely true. You should use the base ISO in order to get the most details, dynamic range and so on.
A lot of sensors, especially the smaller ones, use base ISOs above 100, like 200 or even higher in order to allow even higher usable ISO settings. Lower ISOs than base will be done by overexposing the picture by 1 EV and lowering exposure by 1 EV in-camera. That will lead to some lost dynamic range. Im not sure whether base ISO is 100 or 200 with the Lumia 925. I would guess its 200, simply because the really good ISO800 compared to other smartphones with the same sensor size.
In my short ISO comparison i posted here earlier, i could barely make out any difference between 100 and 200.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Smartphones may not be true replacements for P&S and DSLRs, yet. However this does not prevent them from taking stellar photos.

The complaints you've raised are genuine. However there are fixes available.

Download the Nokia Camera.

First of all to get more detailed photos you should switch to 4:3 and learn how to adjust ISO.

Secondly go into settings and turn on framing grids, I would recommend using "rule of thirds."

To get more accurate colors always adjust the white balance before taking photos.

Oh and the perspective issues may be caused by your hands shaking while the camera was taking a photo, try to set the focus point before taking a photo so that the phone takes less time to snap the picture.

You should generally try to stay away from shutter speed and exposure because Nokia Camera handles all that while your adjusting ISO.

Don't rely on the Auto settings if you want good photos!

After you've taken the photo if you want to check the EXIF data on your phone, download the following app:

ape2yda5.png

Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks,
I've started using Nokia Camera Beta to get better control and view some of the EXIF. (I've also started using the Picture Info app)
I also started using a framing grid. I would prefer a graph grid, but this does not seem possible.
I've also started to use the 4:3 format.
I've had pretty good luck with automatic balance with my past cameras. I apparently need to pay more attention to this setting.
After using film for so many years, I am not used to changing ISO settings and have depended on aperture and shutter speed adjustments. Again, I need to adjust!
Finally, I really miss the absence of a view finder!!!
However, I want to stress that I really enjoy the windows 8.1 smart phone experience. Just have to learn how to use the camera more proficiently!
Forums like this are EXTREMELY HELPFUL!!!
Thanks for all the responses.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks,
I've started using Nokia Camera Beta to get better control and view some of the EXIF. (I've also started using the Picture Info app)
I also started using a framing grid. I would prefer a graph grid, but this does not seem possible.
I've also started to use the 4:3 format.
I've had pretty good luck with automatic balance with my past cameras. I apparently need to pay more attention to this setting.
After using film for so many years, I am not used to changing ISO settings and have depended on aperture and shutter speed adjustments. Again, I need to adjust!
Finally, I really miss the absence of a view finder!!!
However, I want to stress that I really enjoy the windows 8.1 smart phone experience. Just have to learn how to use the camera more proficiently!
Forums like this are EXTREMELY HELPFUL!!!
Thanks for all the responses.

I've been reading about how Pureview sensors work and came across something interesting. If you ever take your Lumia out at night and take a photo you will notice that in the viewfinder you might see pitch black(or very little) however when you take the photo it is much brighter, ever wondered why that happens?I told you not to adjust shutter speed because the viewfinder doesn't allow you to preview how your shot will look before you've taken it with the settings you've applied, if you use a 1/16000 shutter speed your viewfinder will see everything perfectly however when you snap the photo it will have a lack of details and much less light. So use the white balance, focus and ISO instead.
Btw if you want to view EXIF data faster, just do this.Open up your photo in the Photos app and click "edit."
araqedyd.png

It will show you a few options for editing:

5a8u3y2a.png
Just tap Picture Info and it will take you straight to the app, do note that this will not harm your picture's quality or anything it will just take you to the Picture Info app.

6ute7usu.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99