Glance doesn't work outside

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I have had my 925 for about 2 weeks now and have noticed that Glance doesn't work when I am outside? When I am inside it works perfectly in all light levels but outside....nothing. It's really weird. I am guessing this isn't normal? Is there a setting I have missed? The proximity sensor otherwise works when outdoors like when I am on a call and ending a call the screen behaves as it should.
It's not the end of the world but if anyone has a quick fix or suggestion I am all ears.

Thanks

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I have had my 925 for about 2 weeks now and have noticed that Glance doesn't work when I am outside? When I am inside it works perfectly in all light levels but outside....nothing. It's really weird. I am guessing this isn't normal? Is there a setting I have missed? The proximity sensor otherwise works when outdoors like when I am on a call and ending a call the screen behaves as it should.
It's not the end of the world but if anyone has a quick fix or suggestion I am all ears.

Thanks
May sound weird but are you sure it doesn't work? Maybe its just hard to see. On my 928 I barely see it when I'm outside :)

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys, yes I am sure as I can force it to come on by placing my finger over the sensor then removing it. You are correct in that it is very dim though. Perhaps the light change is too gradual when I am outside as I have only been able to test in very cloudy conditions. Anyway, I'll play around with it when different weather conditions allow and see what happens.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Good solution. What sort of battery drain can I expect with Glance "always on"? I currently have it set to time out after 15 mins
It doesn't eat too much, you'll barely (or not even) notice it.

Oh wait.. you have 925 and mine is 928 so we have different screens I think. I don't know which one drains less but still its almost nothing

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Good solution. What sort of battery drain can I expect with Glance "always on"? I currently have it set to time out after 15 mins
The 'always on' is not actually on at all times. The glance turns off if the phone is in your pocket, placed face-down, or in a flip case (covering the sensor). But when the sensor is not covered, it stays always on (like when placed on a desk or something). That way it becomes a nice desk clock without using a lot of battery on an AMOLED display. I've done the same with my Lumia 1020.

Johnny_L

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
On mine Lumia 925 (32GB vodafone version) Glance setting "always on" does not work anymore after cyan update.
After 60 sec of dislpaying time/glance pic it goes black and wake on touch (the same under "peek" or "interval" settings).

Second, tap to wake seems to be much less sensitive/laggy (both on glance and black screen). Usually I need more than 3 attempts.

Additionally, soft touch buttons (back/win/search) are not enlighted after update (actually they aye light grey). Fortunately i remember where to tap:)

This is disappointing and I wonder if this is only my individual problem or it is general issue of the cyan/W8.1.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
On mine Lumia 925 (32GB vodafone version) Glance setting "always on" does not work anymore after cyan update.
After 60 sec of dislpaying time/glance pic it goes black and wake on touch (the same under "peek" or "interval" settings).

Second, tap to wake seems to be much less sensitive/laggy (both on glance and black screen). Usually I need more than 3 attempts.

Additionally, soft touch buttons (back/win/search) are not enlighted after update (actually they aye light grey). Fortunately i remember where to tap:)

This is disappointing and I wonder if this is only my individual problem or it is general issue of the cyan/W8.1.
I have no such issues on my 1020 with 8.1 developers' preview. Might be some issue with Cyan?

Brown1Luv

Banned
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Speaking of Glance really dissapointed with Nokia for not having it work/screen ( no memory ) on the ICON ( Lumia 930 ) when phones liek the 820 have it !! Very **** poor decision on the part of Nokia - I hope now Microsoft has taken over the cell phone division they actually marketed the phone a heck of alot better in North America than Nokia did !! ROgers Wireless in Canada is has exclusivity to new handsets in out of the big 3 in Canada ( themselves/Rogers , Bell and Telus ) and even over the U.S! Only recently Telus got the low end 520 and Rogers now has the 620 but providers like Virgin and Eastlink Wirless and Fido ( i believe as well ) and Wind had no Windows handsets let alone Nokia ! I just hope we start to see an influx of new handsets in the very near future because looking at the same rehased Iphone with a different numerical number laid in front of it as well as Samsung Andorid Galaxy is making me sick everytime i walk into a random providers store!

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Cyan fixed the glance screen failing to work outdoors. May have just been a coincidence but all good now. Seems I was the only one who had struck this problem anyway 😃

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte