Newfound love for the 925's camera (and some criticism to Nokia)

giulianoreali

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I've had the 925 for a few months now, and the camera has always been a huge disappointment. Yes, it captures a lot of light in dark scenes, it's almost supernatural. However, the photos have always looked greenish/yellowish and soft, worse even than those taken with my Moto X, regardless of which app I used, Microsoft Camera, Nokia Camera, Nokia Camera Beta, etc., to the point that it was almost unusable. If I knew I'd be taking photos, I'd leave the 925 at home. Which is ridiculous, when you take into consideration that the camera was probably the strongest selling point of that phone. I thought it was a hardware problem, and was ready to give up and sell it. Then I purchased that ProShot app and fiddled with the settings (increased sharpness, reduced greens), and now my photos look amazing! Well, I'm not a photographer, and I have an untrained eye, but they do look amazing to me :winktongue: I'm very happy!

Consequently, that makes me like Nokia as a company a lot less. Yes, they have great designs and they try to innovate, but it's so disrespectful of them to not address this flaw (I'm aware that not everybody has the problem, but from what I've read online a whole lot of people do), especially since it's a software problem that could be "easily" fixed. A lot of people don't read forums and aren't aware that solutions such as ProShot even exist. If it was up to them, my phone would be taking crappy photos for the rest of time. I know they focus on newer phones, but I consider this correction a crucial one, especially, as I said, the camera was the 925's strongest selling point. This is down to personal opinion, but I tend to be more sympathetic towards companies that show they care about their customers (a good example recently would be Motorola). I'm not saying keep all your models updated for 10 years, but heck, fix a damn flaw you created yourself (I've read that the camera was fine up to the Amber update).

Excuse the rant, overall I'm pretty pleased with the phone now :grin:

Lumiaa620

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Well I won't agree with your because all you did can be done in PS Express, and nearly in CS 6.0. I still like Nokia Camera more because you can edit faster a scene mode for situations that aren't to fast but will pass (ProShot is indeed awesome but nothing that some post process edit won't solve).

Thomas Schindler

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree with you.
Pro Shot is awesome! Im using custom filter and decrease the green channel by what is needed. That solves most of the problems in an instant!

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I have to say I sort of miss my 920 as my daily driver (930 now). Those supernaturally lighted low light shots are often more practical than having super awesome ideal light-pictures. I always just used the default camera app on my 920, but it seems that it was much easier to get decent shots in every day life. I do like the 930 and it's mostly increased capabilities, but when my daughter is is being all ninjamonkey, I don't have time to fiddle with settings :p

giulianoreali

May 17, 2013
Visit site
What Proshot settings did you use exactly?

For daylight photos I created a custom filter with green levels reduced to about 0.9, saturation reduced to -1, and brightness increased to 2. I also increased sharpness from 0 to 1 under adjusts. I sometimes tweak those settings a little bit if I don't like a particular shot, but so far I found they've been working for me and I leave them untouched most of the time. For low light I reduced greens even a bit more, but kept saturation at 0.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
So you prefer unnatural pics than natural ones. Ok, but it's not better, just different.

It's like you use some postprocessing app. Sometimes the result will be very good, with beautiful colors and contrast, sometimes not. That's why we need absolutely natural pics, because we can treat them without lost details, sharpness or having a bad exposure.

Maybe the great Nokia's mistake is think people need natural pics for treat them after. People don't like raw pics, people love colors, brightness and great contrast. That's absolutely horrible for those who really like photography, but for most people it's the better way.

Nokia Camera (auto settings)

wp_20140803_12_26_27_j1zjo.jpg

ProShot (contrast, saturation and sharpness)

wp_20140803_12_26_32_55ybv.jpg

The second one better? I don't think. It's too much.

giulianoreali

May 17, 2013
Visit site
So you prefer unnatural pics than natural ones. Ok, but it's not better, just different.

It's like you use some postprocessing app. Sometimes the result will be very good, with beautiful colors and contrast, sometimes not. That's why we need absolutely natural pics, because we can treat them without lost details, sharpness or having a bad exposure.

Maybe the great Nokia's mistake is think people need natural pics for treat them after. People don't like raw pics, people love colors, brightness and great contrast. That's absolutely horrible for those who really like photography, but for most people it's the better way.

Nokia Camera (auto settings)

http://abload.de/img/wp_20140803_12_26_27_j1zjo.jpg

ProShot (contrast, saturation and sharpness)

http://abload.de/img/wp_20140803_12_26_32_55ybv.jpg

The second one better? I don't think. It's too much.

Having a green/yellow hue to everything (as my 925 does) isn't natural to me.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Having a green/yellow hue to everything (as my 925 does) isn't natural to me.

Well, my pics don't have it, only with a very small percentage and normally in very bad situations.

You can find a bad hue in these pics above? If yes, you need to fix your monitor/TV.

giulianoreali

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, my pics don't have it, only with a very small percentage and normally in very bad situations.

You can find a bad hue in these pics above? If yes, you need to fix your monitor/TV.

I've never been to that place, I don't know what colors it has in real life. What I know is that my 925 takes photos with colors that don't correspond to reality. Everything looks greenish and fuzzy. Like the person above implied, it's a bit ridiculous of you to try and deny a problem so many people have already reported. It's like you work for Nokia or something.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I've never been to that place, I don't know what colors it has in real life. What I know is that my 925 takes photos with colors that don't correspond to reality. Everything looks greenish and fuzzy. Like the person above implied, it's a bit ridiculous of you to try and deny a problem so many people have already reported. It's like you work for Nokia or something.

So every pic you take with your Lumia 925 is greenish. Is that?

I'm denying NOTHING. Maybe a bigger font size and bold font will help you to understand better now.

Last edited:

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
While I agree that Nokia's algorithm makes pictures on the yellow/green side, after I apply one "magic fix" for my pictures they all look natural, sharp, bright and noise free. I'm quite a happy L820 user and I love its camera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro