Thinking about buying a new 925 here.

Rezza Castle

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
So right now I'm using the 820, and the very reason why I want to change to the 925 mainly because of the crappy battery life of the 820 and I want a much slimmer phone with a slightly better camera. And looking at the specs, I think that the 925 might do the job for me.

But I might want to know your opinions of your 925s.

-How's the battery life? Both in the Developer Preview or not. Because in my 820 is really sucks, it needs three times charging a day and I even had used the MPJ's 2500 mAh battery. (I'm on the Lumia Black Developer Preview 8.1)

-Is it too late already to buy a 925?

-How troublesome are the 16gb capacity? Mind it that I'd only store about half five hundred songs (300mb) and I don't play games in my phone, and the rest are used by the social and media apps and the photo editor apps and the photos and videos I take on it.

-And how would you rate your 925's camera? Both front and back.

Thanks, your opinion would be much appreciated!

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Battery life is good, specially after the cyan update. No very good in DP because it comes without the appropriate drivers and device optimizations.
No not late to buy the device as it is supported for another year and a half i think.
i have alot of apps on my device and almost 1gb of music with tons of images and i still have 5GB free. and with your usage you will be fine with at least 9gb free.
Camera is great, i would give it 9/10. The image stabilization is great. Colors are good and the video quality is very high (the back cam)
the front cam is good for selfies too (not that i take selfies) and also very good for video calling.

Just buy the device. it is awesome (MY OPINION HERE)

bigmoneymike

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
The 925 is a great device. The camera is a bit iffy though. It might be my unit, but the photos always seem grainy. However, the phone is very thin and the all metal construction is awesome. The AMOLED screen is fantastic too. I use a 1520 as my daily driver right now, but I wouldn't hesitate to use a 925.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
So right now I'm using the 820, and the very reason why I want to change to the 925 mainly because of the crappy battery life of the 820 and I want a much slimmer phone with a slightly better camera. And looking at the specs, I think that the 925 might do the job for me.

But I might want to know your opinions of your 925s.

-How's the battery life? Both in the Developer Preview or not. Because in my 820 is really sucks, it needs three times charging a day and I even had used the MPJ's 2500 mAh battery. (I'm on the Lumia Black Developer Preview 8.1)

-Is it too late already to buy a 925?

-How troublesome are the 16gb capacity? Mind it that I'd only store about half five hundred songs (300mb) and I don't play games in my phone, and the rest are used by the social and media apps and the photo editor apps and the photos and videos I take on it.

-And how would you rate your 925's camera? Both front and back.

Thanks, your opinion would be much appreciated!

The battery life on Lumia 925 is easily 30% better than Lumia 820. I had one in 2013. Stand a day (8am full charged until 22pm with 15%~20%) with moderate to heavy usage.

Lumia 820 is faster than Lumia 925, have a better performance. Only slightly, but it is more smoother, have less "loading" screens. I don't know why, but this is true.

The Lumia 820 camera make better pictures at sunny situations, produces slightly less noise. Yes, it's very hard to believe, but I can guarantee that. Not always, but sometimes Lumia 820 produces better pics. But at night pics, Lumia 925 it's far - really huge difference - better. There's no comparison to make at low light pics, with or without flash. The front camera of Lumia 925 it's better too. Muuuuuch better. But just like Lumia 820, there's a stupid low light post processing that ruined everything. Only in very low light pics (ISO 800 with almost no light available).

16gb capacity. I think this is personal. Early with a 820 I've had a SD card with 16GB Class 10. But always with 1GB-2GB free on internal memmory. Now with Lumia 925 I have 3~4GB free on internal memmory. I use more often the Onedrive backup (auto backup) and keep my eyes on internal memmory and now i have more control of available memmory. I have 5GB of musice files now, 3 games only and about 150 pictures and some videos. I think, based in what you say, internal memmory will not be a challenge for you.

I don't think it's too late, but Lumia 930 is already between us. You need to think about it. There's a huge gap between the prices of both here in Brazil (Lumia 925 costs $350 / Lumia 930 costs $750), but maybe not in your country.

At the end, I love my Lumia 925 more than I loved my Lumia 820 ;)

paramsingh

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Personally I think Lumia 925 is an average phone. The battery life in comparison to 820 is hard to determine since I don't own a 820 but regardless it's not great especially if you use instant messaging apps like WhatsApp. I barely get more than 6/7 hours from 925. The camera is mediocre for todays standard, I blame post-processing more than the optics itself. My final concern is the design ergonomics, it has unusually sharp edges which makes the phone quite uncomfortable to hold.

If I were you I would wait for a new mid range Lumia.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I like my T-Mobile L925 a lot.

• Very well designed as far as looks.
  • Nice screen very easy to see.
  • Typing on it with WordFlow is a joy.
  • Sound thru speaker is weak.
  • Good feel, nice size.
  • Gameplay is smooth, will warm a bit during play at times.
  • Battery time is acceptable goes up and down depending...I'll say minimum 8 hours to 12 on average.
  • Front camera is good in daylight however in dark pictures have purplish hue.
  • Camera can be anything from dismal to sharp...depends on camera operator.
  • The led flash for the camera is effective at close range say 2 to 6-7 feet.
  • At 16 gig I've had no problems.
  • This amount of storage is fine for a few music mixes around 150 photos and maybe two 3-4 minute 1080 videos.
  • I've never gone over 11 gig on the phone.

I just bought the wireless charging back for convenience also.

Good luck, hope you are able to find a 925 for a good price.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
My final concern is the design ergonomics, it has unusually sharp edges which makes the phone quite uncomfortable to hold.

Sharp Edges? What planet are you from? The 925 is the best feeling phone I have ever handled. Unfortunately for me it is so slippery it requires a case but sharp........... NOT.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
925 is a great device that still holds it on. The camera isn't slightly better, its way better than the 820. Pictures do seem "grainy" but it picks up more details. For reference, my 925 camera is better than my LG G2 camera. the g2 over processes images. The ois trumps my g2 and Note 3 in stable video recording. The mics are unbelievably good. Night time photos are also great sense its tailored for low light.

Battery life is good, but can seem bad if you use it for extended use.

What I've noticed tho, is after the 8.2/cyan update, games lag pretty badly now. Before, my games ran perfectly smooth.

Even if support stopped today ill still use my 925, its a wonderful device all around.

Anglerdk

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I charge my phone twice a day, but I have push mail for work so it might be why.

The 16 GB is way too little for me since recorded video quickly takes all the space..(I also have used 6 GB in settings???)

The lack of Miracast is bad, but if you don't use it then this is not important.

I use the qi cover for wireless charging which is not as elegant as the 820 solution :(

The camera is better with optical stabilizer. Also the better screen and solution is cool.

WordFlow is great... If you uses a language supported...
Sent from my Lumia 925 wp8.1 using Tapatalk

paramsingh

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Sharp Edges? What planet are you from? The 925 is the best feeling phone I have ever handled. Unfortunately for me it is so slippery it requires a case but sharp........... NOT.
It's quite well known that the edges of Lumia 925 kinda digs into your palm. These are just opinions, I've never felt the need of a case for the purpose of it being slippery, maybe it's just the way one holds his/her phone that concludes their 'how it feels in hand' experience, I find the edges a bit sharp, nothing major but it's worth noting.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Personally I think Lumia 925 is an average phone. The battery life in comparison to 820 is hard to determine since I don't own a 820 but regardless it's not great especially if you use instant messaging apps like WhatsApp. I barely get more than 6/7 hours from 925. The camera is mediocre for todays standard, I blame post-processing more than the optics itself. My final concern is the design ergonomics, it has unusually sharp edges which makes the phone quite uncomfortable to hold.

If I were you I would wait for a new mid range Lumia.

Maybe you don't know how to use Nokia Camera properly. If you knew how to use it, surely your opinion would be different about 925 camera. Still make a good job even if you compare with today standards (which increased a lot).

But to unleash the real Lumia 925 camera power, you need to learn how to use Nokia Camera properly (only ISO and EV settings). Or even Camera app (have these settings too). Without that, even a Lumia 1020 can take ordinary pictures (or bad ones).

The postprocess you complaint about happens only in very low light conditions (yes, it's very weird when happens and destroy everything). At least in Lumia 925 (Lumia 920 it's a different history indeed). I can prove it very easily and I will, to finally finish this discussion here in WP Central.

6-7 hours? I believe in you, don't get me wrong, but this is only happens - at least with me of course - if I use it for 2 or 3 hours of web browsing, a non stop Whatsapp usage, lot of Facebook/Instra/Twitter and some video playback too. Maybe a lot of games and/or a bad signal reception.

Lumia 925 it's not perfect, but have a very good camera (still one of the top 10 easily) and average battery performance (average for today standards and very good for release standards).

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
It's quite well known that the edges of Lumia 925 kinda digs into your palm. These are just opinions, I've never felt the need of a case for the purpose of it being slippery, maybe it's just the way one holds his/her phone that concludes their 'how it feels in hand' experience, I find the edges a bit sharp, nothing major but it's worth noting.

I like the weight distribution of Lumia 925. Makes it look lighter than it is. But don't have the best grip for me (very personal I think).

paramsingh

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you don't know how to use Nokia Camera properly. If you knew how to use it, surely your opinion would be different about 925 camera. Still make a good job even if you compare with today standards (which increased a lot).

But to unleash the real Lumia 925 camera power, you need to learn how to use Nokia Camera properly (only ISO and EV settings). Or even Camera app (have these settings too). Without that, even a Lumia 1020 can take ordinary pictures (or bad ones).

The postprocess you complaint about happens only in very low light conditions (yes, it's very weird when happens and destroy everything). At least in Lumia 925 (Lumia 920 it's a different history indeed). I can prove it very easily and I will, to finally finish this discussion here in WP Central.

6-7 hours? I believe in you, don't get me wrong, but this is only happens - at least with me of course - if I use it for 2 or 3 hours of web browsing, a non stop Whatsapp usage, lot of Facebook/Instra/Twitter and some video playback too. Maybe a lot of games and/or a bad signal reception.

Lumia 925 it's not perfect, but have a very good camera (still one of the top 10 easily) and average battery performance (average for today standards and very good for release standards).

I'm very familiar with Nokia Camera app. I do agree with your comment, daylight outdoor shots are usually excellent but indoor shots even sometimes with decent lighting fails to produce a nice image, maybe it's just my handset.

Before Lumia 925 I was an owner of HTC 8x and my lord the battery performance in Lumia 925 was almost double of what 8x had offered me. So yes, by 2013 standard pretty decent, now I would rate it average.

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 925 is great phone. Ofcourse it depends on the selling price, but I think you can get it pretty cheap these days. I wanted to buy 930, but won't go for it as it's more than 530 Euros, which I resist to pay for cell phone. :)
I picked 925 for about 275 and I am perfectly fine. display is great, battery life ok, I am at about 36hours average use on moderate usage. I have 16Gb version, but still have more than 9Gb free. All my photos and stuff is on OneDrive, where I have another 18Gbs, so phone internal memory is not an issue.
the only concern I have is the overheating, as in certain cases the aluminium edge is really hot.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm very familiar with Nokia Camera app. I do agree with your comment, daylight outdoor shots are usually excellent but indoor shots even sometimes with decent lighting fails to produce a nice image, maybe it's just my handset.

Before Lumia 925 I was an owner of HTC 8x and my lord the battery performance in Lumia 925 was almost double of what 8x had offered me. So yes, by 2013 standard pretty decent, now I would rate it average.

To take good indoor pictures, I suggest to use ISO 200 or 400 (800 always have a bad postprocessing) and keep EV in +0.3 or +0.7. But maybe you already know that!

Rezza Castle

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi Rodrigo, is your 925 is in the Developer Preview or not? Because if I do buying a 925, I don't think that I can resist of updating it to the Developer Preview, lol. And that's probably why my 820 is weak in battery (even though that after the 8.1 GDR 1 preview my 820 seems to able to last two times stronger than before)

And by the way you've made any tutorial forum in taking photos? Because I sure would love to know how to take better photos in my Lumia, I'm not familiar in manual settings.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi Rodrigo, is your 925 is in the Developer Preview or not? Because if I do buying a 925, I don't think that I can resist of updating it to the Developer Preview, lol. And that's probably why my 820 is weak in battery (even though that after the 8.1 GDR 1 preview my 820 seems to able to last two times stronger than before)

And by the way you've made any tutorial forum in taking photos? Because I sure would love to know how to take better photos in my Lumia, I'm not familiar in manual settings.

I'm in Cyan Update GDR1 now. But I had Preview for Developer Program for 2 or 3 months later. No problems at all, just like Cyan Update or Cyan GDR1.

About Nokia Camera, there's a several tips on youtube videos for help people who know nothing about photography. But I have one major tip: Always set ISO. Never auto ISO.

Sunny day = ISO 100 (Maybe EV +0.3)
Cloudy day = ISO 100 or 200 (Maybe EV +0.3)
Night with flash for close subjects = ISO 200 or 400
Night without flash for close subjects = ISO 200 + EV 0.3, 0.7 or 1.0
Nigh for far subjetcs = ISO 400 or 800 (Maybe EV 0.7 or 1.0)

Unlike others devices (Samsung, Iphone and others), Nokia tends to use high ISO and/or high exposure time.

High ISO it's not bad for photography, but useless in smartphones. High exposure time it's not a bad too, but for point and shot camera phone, a little of overexposed can guarantee more beautiful and colorful pictures.

Rezza Castle

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 925 is great phone. Ofcourse it depends on the selling price, but I think you can get it pretty cheap these days. I wanted to buy 930, but won't go for it as it's more than 530 Euros, which I resist to pay for cell phone. :)
I picked 925 for about 275 and I am perfectly fine. display is great, battery life ok, I am at about 36hours average use on moderate usage. I have 16Gb version, but still have more than 9Gb free. All my photos and stuff is on OneDrive, where I have another 18Gbs, so phone internal memory is not an issue.
the only concern I have is the overheating, as in certain cases the aluminium edge is really hot.

By overheating, do you use any kind of case? And on what occasion is your 925 went overheat? Gaming?

And one more, is your 925 runs in Developer Preview or not? Surely when you say 36 hours it really had my attention.

MAHER_Central

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I have the Lumia 925. It's a great phone !
- Battery is good even if I expected more from a 2000 mA.
-Design awesome but you'll need a case cause the metal is really fragile. The back is resistant.
-Camera is amazing.
- I don't really use for gaming but I've once tried and the phone gets a little hot.

If you need any information ask ! I'm happy to answer.

chalx

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Its a love/hate situation with my 925. 3/4 of hate is related to WP and rest of hate is related to crappy earpiece sound quality, shallow micro USB port and overheating
Sent from my RM-892_eu_finland_202 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss