TMo 925 8.1 / Cyan Update Status

tbird635

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
That 2.0.0.6 update this morning broke my wifi calling completely now ( 925 8.1 dev preview here)
It somewhat worked before on odd tuesdays under a full moon.

"Unknown error state" is what it now says

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Well I gotta hand it to somebody at least the app and function is completely broke now...

wp_ss_20140821_0001.png

I'd rather have the app show an error than just not work mysteriously.
My WiFi calling has been here and gone a few times over the last two "voluntary" updates.
Can't complain much I did it to myself.

I really do think the T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling feature bug is related to some kind of SIM card error.
My 635 just doesn't have and never has had this problem.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Well I gotta hand it to somebody at least the app and function is completely broke now...

View attachment 77886

I'd rather have the app show an error than just not work mysteriously.
My WiFi calling has been here and gone a few times over the last two "voluntary" updates.
Can't complain much I did it to myself.

I really do think the T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling feature bug is related to some kind of SIM card error.
My 635 just doesn't have and never has had this problem.

I have the same issue on my 925 since the app was updated. I've noticed that I can make and receive phone calls on Wi-Fi calling just can't text at all. This happens everytime I update my phone to the latest update for developers preview, it disables it. If I want full functionality,I have to downgrade to 8.0/Black.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I guess the Wi-Fi calling booboo is just something that isn't patchable.
Really wishing I could figure out something or find a definitive answer from a knowledgeable source.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Do any carriers in other countries have WiFi calling, or is it limited to T-Mobile USA?

If it's something only available for one carrier in one country it might be a lower priority.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I could be wrong, but I think T-Mobile is the only carrier that has wi-fi calling here in the u.s. And since MetroPCS is owned by T-Mobile their phones also have wi-fi calling (my brother is with MetroPCS so I know this).

envsys

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
T-Mo has tweeted the Cyan update for the 925 (and 521) are coming "later this year". They announced the update in April and now it's later this year.
They owe us a detailed explanation of why and WHEN. Legere needs to cut his hair, calm down and get to work.

di_genius_7

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
It's out of Microsofts hands when the carrier pushes an update out. T-mobile has their WiFi calling they need to get working properly before they can release it. It's a NECESSARY feature for a lot of people that use t-mobile, but don't necessarily have good coverage where they are.

Wifi calling is an app on Windows Phone as opposed to Android that its built into so that's no excuse, same thing they did with the Lumia Black update, take for ever.

Do any carriers in other countries have WiFi calling, or is it limited to T-Mobile USA?

If it's something only available for one carrier in one country it might be a lower priority.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

It's just an added feature they use cause of poor coverage in most areas like my town that I just moved to looking to switch to ATT cause I call them up and they not sure when they'll be upgrading that area.

Last edited by a moderator:

j o e l

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
My 'conspiracy' theory goes like this:

Legere: You guys fixed the bitlocker issue yet?
MSFT: No. Why?
Legere: we kinda don't want to have to deal with customers whining about not getting the update. We have no time for that ****.
MSFT: Yeah, so?
Legere: When you gonna fix bitlocker?
MSFT: Later this year.

T-Mo has tweeted the Cyan update for the 925 (and 521) are coming "later this year". They announced the update in April and now it's later this year.
They owe us a detailed explanation of why and WHEN. Legere needs to cut his hair, calm down and get to work.

RyanWPowers

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
So, I'm getting pretty impatient waiting for T-mobile. If I upgrade to the DP for 8.1, can somebody who has done this with T-mobile tell me what else will be broken besides Wi-Fi calling? I mean, Wi-Fi calling has always been sketchy at best. It was rare I could get it to work most times anyway. Anything else I would need to worry about?

Ryan

Lloydbm4

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm getting pretty impatient waiting for T-mobile. If I upgrade to the DP for 8.1, can somebody who has done this with T-mobile tell me what else will be broken besides Wi-Fi calling? I mean, Wi-Fi calling has always been sketchy at best. It was rare I could get it to work most times anyway. Anything else I would need to worry about?

Ryan

I gave my TMo 925 running the 8.1 DP. Other than WiFi calling, I have zero complaints.

TerryB9999

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Very happy to hear that AT&T is rolling out Cyan/8.1 live, even if running 8.1DP

Hopefully T-Mobile will do the same and not make us have to go back to 8.0 to get our update

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Jeez-ola! All OS updates are on my phones courtesy of Preview for Developers. Black, not Cyan? Wow, BFD. And with all the problems reported with Cyan, why rush?

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Wifi calling is an app on Windows Phone as opposed to Android that its built into so that's no excuse, same thing they did with the Lumia Black update, take for ever.
Actually, if you leave wifi calling turned on, then uninstall the wifi calling "app", you'll still get wifi calling, as it's part of the underlying OS. It requires the capability in the OS (blackberry os was first to do this), Android was easy to add it into the carrier updates, Microsoft added it in with no complaints, IOS8 will have wifi calling baked into it. UMA is something that other carriers like Sprint are adding in.

The wifi calling app is simply a way to turn on/off the wifi calling, as there may be times where you want to stay on the cell network for calls, but wifi for data.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I could be wrong, but I think T-Mobile is the only carrier that has wi-fi calling here in the u.s. And since MetroPCS is owned by T-Mobile their phones also have wi-fi calling (my brother is with MetroPCS so I know this).

You are wrong! :) Little itty bitty Cincinnatti Bell has it. They used to call it Fusion. Clever..

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Actually, if you leave wifi calling turned on, then uninstall the wifi calling "app", you'll still get wifi calling, as it's part of the underlying OS. It requires the capability in the OS (blackberry os was first to do this), Android was easy to add it into the carrier updates, Microsoft added it in with no complaints, IOS8 will have wifi calling baked into it. UMA is something that other carriers like Sprint are adding in.

The wifi calling app is simply a way to turn on/off the wifi calling, as there may be times where you want to stay on the cell network for calls, but wifi for data.

WFC is not an app, even if presented as one on WP. It is a firmware modification, done so by those who want to do it. Android kernels started doing it with Froyo 2.2.2. It was developed by a company called Kinetico. Republic Wireless has done same thing for their selected phones, then you get UMA (the correct abbreviation for WFC) through Sprint

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb