Recovering data from bricked Lumia 925

benoire

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I fear I know the answer to this already having trawled the web, but it doesn't hurt to double check.

The other evening I was on my 925 when the screen froze and I had to soft reset to get it to do anything. As it was late I put it straight on charge and went to bed. In the morning I discovered it was showing the sad face BSOD screen and was going round in some kind of endless reboot loop.

I've tried soft resetting multiple times (holding power + volume down) but it makes no difference. The Nokia Recovery Tool can see the phone when it's plugged into a PC (and offers to do a full reset), though the PC itself can't see it by default (i.e. I can't access the files on it).

It looks as though I need to do a hard reset to have any chance of redeeming the phone (assuming there's not an underlying hardware fault), but my problem is I have photos and videos on there that do not back up automatically to OneDrive (not prepared to do that for privacy/security reasons) and there appears to be no way of recovering the data ahead of reinstalling the OS.

Does anybody know of any way I can recover these files or are they gone for good? Even if I have no way of getting them ahead of a restore, is there a way of recovering the deleted files later by some kind of recovery tool? (I'm sure they are only marked as deleted rather than actually being overwritten). I know there are tools out there that claim to be able to recover files from a WP device, but I err on the side of scepticism until I hear of somebody actually using them successfully.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If I were in your position, I'd consider myself hosed and go ahead.
For all intents and purposes, its pretty much toast.

Since you refused to use the auto-upload feature, I sure hoped you backed up your media manually.

But otherwise, I can only offer my condolences.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12