Not very happy so I'm selling both my 925's!

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I know this is long, but there's quite a bit to lay out. I've tried to be concise.

I've had it with the 925 (although her looks and feel makes me keep coming back like I can't help it.) I have TWO, because I thought a problem with the first one needing Nokia service, so I bought another, and the original problem went away. Of course!

I've had an 810 for a year, hated it with 8, loved it with 8.1 The only thing lacking for me was Wifi Calling; been a user since 2007. I bought a faux BB Nokia E73 just to have a WFC phone in my inventory. But in my home, this 810 is so good, I found I didn't need WFC! But for travel or unexpected no signal locations, WFC is a great fallback. I didn't really care about LTE. First, there's effectively no data to be had at my house anyway, second, HSPA is just fine for my occasional needs.

And so began my long, unhappy journey into 925 land.

My first shock was that NEITHER of these phones have decent radio signal capturing ability. That holds true for both cellular and wifi. As an example, I was at the TM store playing with the new 635. It would find 7 AP's, my 925 only 4. Also one more bar on the Strength-O-Meter. At home, my 810 maintains a solid connection. It NEVER shows "No Service." Talking to others, I never get a drop. On either 925, I have no service probably 25% of the time. Sometimes it's a couple of seconds, sometimes two minutes.

When I returned to the family home here seven years ago, my phone was a crude by today's standards Nokia Communicator 9290. I had not frequent, but annoying enough drops. The phones I've had since have gotten better and better, I figured it was improved electronics and antennas. Cool. I get a latest and greatest 925 and it is literally, the worst phone I've ever owned in this regard, and that goes back to 2000. (Not counting my 1985 car phone, ha ha........)

The deal killer is Wifi Calling, the very reason I bought this phone. OK, ****ty radio capture, so now I really DO need WFC, right? Bzzzzzzt! If my WFC is on, 1) I can't send or receive texts, and 2) if someone calls me it goes to voicemail! And I don't even know it. In other words, it's only good for outbound calls! To make things even worse, if that's possible, if you turn of the wifi so that the phone would theoretically shift to cellular, it doesn't. The icon continues to show "Wifi Calling" forever. If you turn off the WFC, it eventually does so, but the Start Screen icon still shows you are on WFC. If you try to call the phone, it shoots directly to voicemail. You still cannot send or receive texts. The only way to get back to basics is a reboot.

This is beyond unsatisfactory! A first class cluster fornication. This isn't even beta level workings. And some Binging around shows that at least as far as the SMS debacle, it goes back to at least April.

As far as I'm concerned, the TMO 925 is a worthless piece of hardware, no matter what virtues it otherwise has. ("Oh, sure, baby, I love you, let me look at you and hold you just a bit longer.....")

I have spent money on phones, on cases and glass screen protectors, and gawd only knows how many hours setting up, getting disappointed, cruising forums etc.. And what are my options? At TM, an old 521 - and I think it and all WP's have the WFC/SMS issue, or a new 635....that doesn't have flash in the camera and is a step down from both my phones. Wait till TM comes out with a newer mid/high level? Without a camera button? With the same WFC issues?

Like an alcoholic (I know this well,) I've come to acknowledge I have a big problem and I'll never get satisfied with the 925. I've grown to love WP, I've preached it, I like the MS ecosystem, but at the end of the day I need a phone that does what it implies it will do. I consider myself stuck on TM because I've been there for 12 years and no other major carrier delivers the bang for the buck, to say nothing of WFC.

There are two famous words to describe this: "It sucks."

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I suggest getting a 635 as a temporary WP.
Yes you do lose out on some features but at the same time, it is relatively inexpensive due to it being a lower end device and it has Lumia Cyan, WP8.1 preinstalled. I really believe that Cyan and 8.1 will solve all your problems. Give the 635 a try! It's only $168! Heck you can sell one of your 925 and get more than enough money for it.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I suggest getting a 635 as a temporary WP.
Yes you do lose out on some features but at the same time, it is relatively inexpensive due to it being a lower end device and it has Lumia Cyan, WP8.1 preinstalled. I really believe that Cyan and 8.1 will solve all your problems. Give the 635 a try! It's only $168! Heck you can sell one of your 925 and get more than enough money for it.

I'm certainly aware of the 635 and I know what you get and you don't. The MS store was selling them for $120, I think, not long ago.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I'll be curious how many try to knock down your doors to buy them off you. Especially since you have described in great detail how bad they are.

Just a thought.

djslofstra

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I found the 925 to have decent reception, sure it could be better but even in bad reception areas I had a decent enough reception to call and text, I couldn't use 3G in that area properly though. So I would suggest: Sell your phone and buy a Nokia 3310, that one had a great reception. :D

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
odd, I've never had any of your issues with my 925, wifi calling works both ways.. the text thing is there, but thats because that requires wifit to work. reception I cant really say much on because, different areas = different quality service

anyway, I'm planning to upgrade to the HTC One M8 for Windows on T-Mobile, only thing its dropping is the fantastic camera, which could be a deal breaker depending on the person, if the camera is a deal breaker for you, you could get a temp phone and hold out for the Lumia 830 or 1525, though neither of those have a release date, and a worker at T-Mobile told me the 830 isn't coming to T-Mobile, though I'd listen to leaks that say it is over those dimbos.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I found the 925 to have decent reception, sure it could be better but even in bad reception areas I had a decent enough reception to call and text, I couldn't use 3G in that area properly though. So I would suggest: Sell your phone and buy a Nokia 3310, that one had a great reception. :D

I was going to send one into Nokia for warranty repair and ***** about the reception, but with my experience - and so many others - with WFC, I decided to not even bother.

Brother, while I don't know the 3310, I've owned many higher end Nokia phones including almost all of the Communicators. I know what Nokia is capable of, this phone sucks.

wiseguywood

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Signal reception is certainly not as good on the 925 as the 810, agreed for sure. WiFi calling?? Turned it off, too funky about sending texts. I get great coverage at home anyway LTE included. It isn't the greatest radio wise, but on looks?? I'll take it anyday --at least for now...

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
It's funny, I find I usually get better reception with my 925 than my 920 when both are on LTE. I've had absolutely zero problems with my 925 except for the usual Wi-Fi calling not working with texting since the 8.1 developer preview update.

Last edited:

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you have the Developer Preview installed in your 925's?

That can cause poor reception. We just yesterday had a conversation about that in the 1520 forum. The thing is that Developer Preview is missing the firmware which means the radio upgrade meant to go with it. The user in 1520 forum saw he's reception get better, when he downgraded to the latest official rom using the Nokia Software Update Tool.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I was going to send one into Nokia for warranty repair and ***** about the reception, but with my experience - and so many others - with WFC, I decided to not even bother.

Brother, while I don't know the 3310, I've owned many higher end Nokia phones including almost all of the Communicators. I know what Nokia is capable of, this phone sucks.

So are you selling them and for how much? Is it T-Mobile in the US or UK or elsewhere?

Will you ship overseas? What's the spec? Deal for both?

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Do you have the Developer Preview installed in your 925's?

That can cause poor reception. We just yesterday had a conversation about that in the 1520 forum. The thing is that Developer Preview is missing the firmware which means the radio upgrade meant to go with it. The user in 1520 forum saw he's reception get better, when he downgraded to the latest official rom using the Nokia Software Update Tool.

Well, that's certainly very interesting! Since I had zero issue going to 8.1 via PD, I sure never expected something different on the 925. So, updating was the very first thing I did on both phones. Seems logical to me, ya know? "Hey, while we are writing new code, let's eff up the reception!"

Downloading NSU as I type.

I can't/won't live with 8.0, I hated it. Anyone on this thread know if TM did official OA on the 925 to 8.1 or is this another orphanced phone? The Nokia site says that Cyan is "Under Testing," although ATT is out and about.

anon(5316299)

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
FWIW...i have an at&t 925, as well as a 1020, a Moto X, and an Xperia Z2. 925 has by far the worst reception. I've had it with 8.0, 8
1 preview, 8.1 official with cyan. My 1020 is loads better. It's the design...get something else.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, that's certainly very interesting! Since I had zero issue going to 8.1 via PD, I sure never expected something different on the 925. So, updating was the very first thing I did on both phones. Seems logical to me, ya know? "Hey, while we are writing new code, let's eff up the reception!"

Downloading NSU as I type.

I can't/won't live with 8.0, I hated it. Anyone on this thread know if TM did official OA on the 925 to 8.1 or is this another orphanced phone? The Nokia site says that Cyan is "Under Testing," although ATT is out and about.

My 920 definitely has worse reception on the DP branch than it did with vanilla 8.0. I put that down to not having the Cyan firmware installed though...

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

The last DP update sent my 1520 from full coverage on both wifi and phone to 1 or 2 bars. I hope Microsoft is going to fix it (provided they are aware and awake and not playing golf...that's for the old men...the young ones may be playing videogames)

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Good luck on selling it. I have never used WIFI calling so I will never understand where you are coming from. I hope you can find comfort on other phones.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
It is of course Nokia Software Recovery Tool.

It IS the Updater..........a link I used got me a slightly older version, then when I went to use it there was MANDATORY upgrade which let it interface with Cyan. Sigh. All told, at least an hour of downloading and installations. And then it "failed," but when I did "Recover" it went back to 8.0 Black as intended.

Mixed results, I'll write more later. Off to the beach for a dawn run on the sand.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I never had problems like this with my two Lumia 925. Either my friends. Just a great smart, one of the bests in all aspects.

You should look for Nokia Care. I don't no why, but even software problems are solved in Nokia Care and not with homemade NCS or Nokia Recovery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre