Will Nokia Software Recovery Tool get you Cyan if you are on T-mobile?

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I am on Tmobile and have the Lumia 925. I am considering doing the Nokia Software Recovery Tool rollback. My question is: If I do this, will I get Cyan even though Tmobile has not yet released it? Or is it just not released for those who are on the Developer Preview?

Has anyone on a Tmobile L925 been successful getting Cyan using the Recovery Tool?

Thanks!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Cyan will have to be released for your phone for you to get it. If it's locked to T-Mobile and they haven't released it then you can't get it.

Once it is released you can use the recovery tool to go straight to Cyan if you want.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Then what's the advantage to using the Software Recovery tool if you have to wait for Tmobile to release the update anyway?

Munter2

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
You need to flash the ROM to product code: 059T883, variant name: RM-893 VAR LTA MV WHITE using the Nokia Care Suite. That is how you get out from under T-Mobile's holding up the updates. Look at recent threads and the instructions on how to do it are there. It takes about 20 minutes with most of the time is waiting on the ROM to download from Nokia/Microsoft's web site.

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
You need to flash the ROM to product code: 059T883, variant name: RM-893 VAR LTA MV WHITE using the Nokia Care Suite. That is how you get out from under T-Mobile's holding up the updates. Look at recent threads and the instructions on how to do it are there. It takes about 20 minutes with most of the time is waiting on the ROM to download from Nokia/Microsoft's web site.

While that WILL get you Cyan on your 925, you will lose any t-mobile specific modifications, such as WiFi Calling, and, uh... not sure what else. But it's supposed to be released sometime this month (October), so if you can wait a couple weeks longer.

Paedin

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
But it's supposed to be released sometime this month (October).....

I'll believe it when I see it. This is TMobile we are talking about here.

Munter2

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
While that WILL get you Cyan on your 925, you will lose any t-mobile specific modifications, such as WiFi Calling, and, uh... not sure what else. But it's supposed to be released sometime this month (October), so if you can wait a couple weeks longer.
The only thing you lose is WIFI calling. Unless you plan to use WIFI calling overseas it shouldn't be an issue. If you need it at your home or workplace, you really need to be on another carrier which the ROM I listed conveniently works great on AT&T's network also.

Munter2

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Can you flash back to T-Mobile rom if you want?
Yes, you can. I would download the T-Mobile ROM just to have it on hand in case something goes wrong, but you shouldn't need it if you download the ROM I mentioned earlier in this thread. There is only 1 T-Mobile ROM for the 925, the WHITE one that says T-Mobile, so it's not hard to figure out.

copjake

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Flash the rom to my 925 had to go back to TMO rom cell signal was too bad In my house I always have 100% signal and both at work and home I had only 2-3 bars.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

Agreed. I reached out to them via Twitter and they told me that their developers are still testing cyan. Really? C'mon AT&T has it for all their devices let soon Denim will be out before we get Cyan. I'm seriously considering going to AT&T and upgrading my wife's phone giving her my unlocked 925 while I get a 1520.

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
This might not be the place to ask, but for those of us using an international model 925 (RM-892, TW in my case), is there a way to get the Recovery Tool to restore back to 8.0 after any post-8.1 updates? It only seems to work for 8.1 itself, nothing afterwards--trying to restore just gets you an early version of 8.1.

I'm a little annoyed about losing internet sharing, and the 8.1 audio playback bug (which is also incorrectable apparently). I've never tried flashing a ROM, so I don't know that that would be the solution.

Munter2

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Flash the rom to my 925 had to go back to TMO rom cell signal was too bad In my house I always have 100% signal and both at work and home I had only 2-3 bars.
Did you actually get dropped calls and/or slower data speeds? Carriers and manufacturers have been known to tweak signal meters to make their signals report better than they are. I suspect you were getting the exact same signal, but the MV WHITE ROM was reporting a more accurate reading than the T_Mo ROM. On I-Phones you can dial *3001#12345#* to get the exact signal reading by db instead of a made up one by the carriers. I wish I did know how to enter test mode to do that on a Windows Phone, if that's even possible. When I first went on the AT&T network and still had the T-Mo ROM loaded, it always showed 5 bars and was very suspicious of the readings, just can't prove it. Now I see anywhere from 3 to 5 bars. That said, since the MV White is a South American ROM, your WIFI signal will read lower. I have seen that myself and it is due to South American routers having double the output power ours do and the ROM looks to have been adjusted for that.

copjake

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
OK I will flash again and test I am going out of town so good time to test. I have more than one phone worst case I just switch to another one.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

If I'm not mistaken you will lose Wifi Calling. The principle reason one buys a TMO 925.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, like rolling out OTA WFC for the peasant 521 but they couldn't be bothered to do so for the mid-upper range 810. If they had, I wouldn't have waste hundreds of hours of aggravation with 925's. I've been with TMO for twelve years. Mostly happy due to the big Bang for the Buck, great CS, but this **** is inexcusable.

OTOH, sometimes you just have to bend over and Vaseline is not an option.

Munter2

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken you will lose Wifi Calling. The principle reason one buys a TMO 925.
I think the camera, looks, operating system would be way above WIFI calling. If you really need WIFI calling, you really need a different carrier. I was like you and had been with T-Mo for a long time, since 2003. Once I finally had enough with the Cyan crap, I discovered the wonders of being on a real network. It's a whole different world out there. You have reception without the stupid WIFI calling that doesn't work half the time.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I'm giving T-Mobile to the end of October to release Cyan. If not I'm flashing a different ROM (probably AT&T) and will leave T-Mobile for good.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750