How does the 925 camera compare with the LG G3?

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Long story short, I broke my 925. The 930 is disappointing, and there's nothing else on the horizon, so I bought a G3 in the interim.

I was very happy with the 925's camera and was wondering if anyone has experience with these two devices. Lowlight performance of the 925 was especially impressive for such an inexpensive device.

Something fun to read about while I await delivery...

Thanks

dda_k

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Actually I just bought 930(I had 925) and I really can't complain. Device is fast, seems strong and everything runs perfectly.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Both the 925 and LG G3 have a 1/3" sized sensor, but the G3 is a 13MP camera which means more pixels on the same sized sensor, and hence smaller size of pixels themselves. The 925 would obviously have a larger pixel size which means less noise and a clearer photo. Couple that with the Nokia Pureview algorithms that do a pretty good job at removing the noise that's already there, I have no doubt that the 925 camera is superior to the G3 in every way that matters. Especially places with low light situations.

There were some issues that some users complained of with the yellow/green tint in pictures that were predominantly white, but I have yet to notice it in my own photos. I usually just use Automatic settings.

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Both the 925 and LG G3 have a 1/3" sized sensor, but the G3 is a 13MP camera which means more pixels on the same sized sensor, and hence smaller size of pixels themselves. The 925 would obviously have a larger pixel size which means less noise and a clearer photo. Couple that with the Nokia Pureview algorithms that do a pretty good job at removing the noise that's already there, I have no doubt that the 925 camera is superior to the G3 in every way that matters. Especially places with low light situations.

There were some issues that some users complained of with the yellow/green tint in pictures that were predominantly white, but I have yet to notice it in my own photos. I usually just use Automatic settings.

ah, that's unfortunate. i was hoping the cameras would at least be on par.

oh well

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
ah, that's unfortunate. i was hoping the cameras would at least be on par.

oh well

In good lighting/outdoors you probably won't be able to discern much of a difference. I haven't read about any glaring criticism of the G3's camera.

If you don't mind my asking, why didn't you get an Xperia Z3 instead? From what I've read, it has exceptionally good specs.

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If you don't mind my asking, why didn't you get an Xperia Z3 instead? From what I've read, it has exceptionally good specs.

Well, i had to make my purchase unsubsidized, so cost was an issue. Used market prices on the g3 are cheaper than the 930 and definitely cheaper than the z3. 3rd party support on the xperias aren't as good as samsung, lg, or htc phones, and that's pretty much the only reason to go with andriod (IMO). Z3 is also a bit larger than the g3, which is already pushing my boundaries.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Well, i had to make my purchase unsubsidized, so cost was an issue. Used market prices on the g3 are cheaper than the 930 and definitely cheaper than the z3. 3rd party support on the xperias aren't as good as samsung, lg, or htc phones, and that's pretty much the only reason to go with andriod (IMO). Z3 is also a bit larger than the g3, which is already pushing my boundaries.

The cost thing is so true, both the Z3 and Z3 Tab are so obscenely priced where I live as well. :( Which is a shame since they're both such delicious pieces of tech.
Yes @ the 3rd party support as well, but from owning Android devices in the past, Sony has been the kindest towards ROM devs (like Cyanogenmod).

I love the G3, though, but no one around me has one (yet). Is the display really drool-worthy as some say? :)

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
FWIW I am not that impressed with the Lumia 925's camera (Black, Developer Preview).
The post processing cripples my photos. When I snap and see the preview the photo looks sharp, and the colors are great. When I go into the photo roll I get something far inferior. Gritty, yellowish, and ugly :(

G3 does not have this issue, and from what I have seen it does seem to take better daylight photos. Cousin has some wonderful shots! No idea about night photography.

Overall the G3 is a much better phone than the 925.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
FWIW I am not that impressed with the Lumia 925's camera (Black, Developer Preview).
The post processing cripples my photos. When I snap and see the preview the photo looks sharp, and the colors are great. When I go into the photo roll I get something far inferior. Gritty, yellowish, and ugly :(

G3 does not have this issue, and from what I have seen it does seem to take better daylight photos. Cousin has some wonderful shots! No idea about night photography.

Overall the G3 is a much better phone than the 925.

In terms of speed and raw power, I would think the G3 blows past the 925.

Which camera application are you using to make photographs? Post-processing isn't that harsh for me. The only place I see it turn photos bad is in the Lumia selfie app if the lighting is bad. Honestly, ffc is not at all impressive on the 925. I just use the rear camera. Even for selfies :p

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In terms of speed and raw power, I would think the G3 blows past the 925.

Which camera application are you using to make photographs? Post-processing isn't that harsh for me. The only place I see it turn photos bad is in the Lumia selfie app if the lighting is bad. Honestly, ffc is not at all impressive on the 925. I just use the rear camera. Even for selfies :p

Rear Camera - Nokia/Microsoft Camera Applications.

I have seen this happen on my Lumia devices after the Amber update. (Lumia 822, Lumia 920)
Photos are terrible, never did find a fix.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Long story short, I broke my 925. The 930 is disappointing, and there's nothing else on the horizon, so I bought a G3 in the interim.

I was very happy with the 925's camera and was wondering if anyone has experience with these two devices. Lowlight performance of the 925 was especially impressive for such an inexpensive device.

Something fun to read about while I await delivery...

Thanks

As a third generation published photographer and well acquainted with digital cameras and phone for some 15 years, I ask you to ask yourself, "Does this matter?" Are your potential images so ******* important and perfect in composure, etc. that what phone/camera you use matters? I rather think not.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Rear Camera - Nokia/Microsoft Camera Applications.

I have seen this happen on my Lumia devices after the Amber update. (Lumia 822, Lumia 920)
Photos are terrible, never did find a fix.

Well I don't have access to an 822 or 920, but the 720 and 925 I do have access to aren't showing severe issues like you described. But then again I probably didn't run into an instance where this would show up as a problem (like how some people are complaining of colour tints in predominantly white areas).

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
As a third generation published photographer and well acquainted with digital cameras and phone for some 15 years, I ask you to ask yourself, "Does this matter?" Are your potential images so ******* important and perfect in composure, etc. that what phone/camera you use matters? I rather think not.

As much as I like a touch of arrogance here and there, you need to calm your tits. -_- What's wrong with them wanting know how two phones' cameras compare? Maybe they just like their photos to be the best they can be. Chill.

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

You're really not breaking the whiny passive aggressive artist stereotypes with this kind of post, jerk-o.

Anyway, I prefer the camera over the 925. Lowlight performance a little worse for my super important indoor cat photos, but the focus speed more than makes up for it.

Buttttttt.... I'll be getting rid of this phone in favor of the z3 compact. This thing is too damn big -- doesn't fit in suit breast pocket (let alone pants pocket) well without looking awkward from the outside. I didn't realize the z3 compact had the same specs as the flagship z3, minus 1gb of ram.

I'm liking the android OS so far after all the customizations I did. Seems lag free for me after switching to ART and using nova launcher (ditched the winphone launcher). Only downside is the mobile office app is sorely lacking in comparison to the winphone version, and we don't have complete cloud integration with onedrive, but i can deal with it.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I had a G3 for a month or so this summer, glaring problem is you will need to get (buy) a 3rd party app to get any real manual control to see what real low light capabilities it has.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
@tofu: Obviously, you are deprived of animal derived fat soluble vitamins. (BTW, drive by a tofu factory. You will wretch. I did for a long time. Drove by, that is, not wretched. Disgusting.) "You're really not breaking the whiny passive aggressive artist stereotypes with this kind of post, jerk-o." Do you know what a nonsequitur is? Have you spent a half century "into" photography as I have? Do you know how to wipe your glutes w/o making a mess?

A lot of the world's great photographic art was made with primitive technology. Owning a high tech device doesn't mean your images have value. In fact, by the fact that you make thousands of the, the value is decreased.

My father, his father, and I are all published photographers. Not saying I know everything, but I'm going to guess that I know a hell of a lot more than you do in these matters.

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
keep milking the thread for an opportunity to display how great you want people to think you are.

meanwhile, just scored a z3 compact for a great price. hopefully root without boot loader unlock comes soon. currently, when you unlock the bootloader, you lose sony's propriety camera software algorithms. will keep you guys updated with my valuable cat photograph commentary

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
keep milking the thread for an opportunity to display how great you want people to think you are.

meanwhile, just scored a z3 compact for a great price. hopefully root without boot loader unlock comes soon. currently, when you unlock the bootloader, you lose sony's propriety camera software algorithms. will keep you guys updated with my valuable cat photograph commentary

I'm not great. Not at all. I've just grown up enought to understand some people know more than others. My art is way below many others, but OTOH, way, way above many others. Like you. Check yourself out in fifty years. You'll be embarrassed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb