battery-drained-endless-boot-loop

yxc2010

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
When I drained 925's battery and I want to charge it again, it falled into battery-drained-endless-boot-loop. I have to use an bigger charger like 2A to get out of this loop.:unhappysweat:

Any advices?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
When I drained 925's battery and I want to charge it again, it falled into battery-drained-endless-boot-loop. I have to use an bigger charger like 2A to get out of this loop.:unhappysweat:

Any advices?

It is not advisable to frequently drain your battery, since Lithium-based batteries get damaged in the process of extreme discharge and recharge. But given that your battery is now entering the that drained notification loop, it's likely that considerable damage has already been done on the battery - enough damage to prevent start up but not enough to make the battery useless (it still can be used).

As much as possible, keep the charge above 50% (70-80% is ideal).

yxc2010

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I want my battery to be charged all the time, but full drain happens to every one sometimes. WP should be able to handle these special cases.

The easiest way is to allow the phone to turned off while charging. ios and android could do it, while WP doesn't.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I want my battery to be charged all the time, but full drain happens to every one sometimes. WP should be able to handle these special cases.

The easiest way is to allow the phone to turned off while charging. ios and android could do it, while WP doesn't.

It's not the OS the handles the damage draining the battery causes on the battery, but rather it's the internal circuitry built into the battery - which is a totally separate entity from the phone hardware. Once the battery is replaced, so will the internal circuitry. This means that the damage will be the same regardless of the brand. The only difference would be in how the OS presents the data the internal circuitry reports and how the OS sets the threshold before it "decides" that low is "low enough" and the phone needs to power down BEFORE damage is done.

I heard that one of the Windows Phone updates released several months ago enabled charging the phone while it is turned off.

yxc2010

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I seldom drain my battery, probably less than 10 times. I can't believe my battery is so weak.

It is more about the charger I believe, because I lost my original one and have to buy one from Amazon.

I do remember that when I had battery fully drained before, I charged it from usb and it won't boot up.

Maybe the OS threshold need to be changed to make a little more difference between "boot up" and "power down".

There might be one update, but I didn't see any windows phone could do it now.

It's not the OS the handles the damage draining the battery causes on the battery, but rather it's the internal circuitry built into the battery - which is a totally separate entity from the phone hardware. Once the battery is replaced, so will the internal circuitry. This means that the damage will be the same regardless of the brand. The only difference would be in how the OS presents the data the internal circuitry reports and how the OS sets the threshold before it "decides" that low is "low enough" and the phone needs to power down BEFORE damage is done.

I heard that one of the Windows Phone updates released several months ago enabled charging the phone while it is turned off.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I seldom drain my battery, probably less than 10 times. I can't believe my battery is so weak.

It is more about the charger I believe, because I lost my original one and have to buy one from Amazon.

I do remember that when I had battery fully drained before, I charged it from usb and it won't boot up.

Maybe the OS threshold need to be changed to make a little more difference between "boot up" and "power down".

There might be one update, but I didn't see any windows phone could do it now.

I see. Thanks for these info. It's not really advisable to use chargers not specifically designed for your device, especially those that have a different output voltage and current since these may damage the internal circuitry built into the battery pack. I'm suspecting that the output current of your current charger is too low - the same is true for USB 2.0 ports.

Phones usually need a lot of power to start up from being turned off completely - it has to load a lot of things into working memory hence the energy requirement. This is the reason why a simple phone restart eats away at least 15% of the battery charge immediately. So if your battery is nearly drained and if your charger doesn't have the minimum output voltage and current, then your phone will not be able to boot up successfully.

Note that some chargers, especially the "affordable" ones, would have a power rating somewhere in there, but that doesn't guarantee its faithfulness to the indicated values. It may say 1A and 4.5V, but it may only be providing 800mA at 4.2V. That's the risk in having "those" chargers. For the safety of your phone, I'd recommend getting a high quality charger with the same output rating with the original charger, if not the original charger itself.

yxc2010

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

The charge is the Nokia OEM one I bought from Amazon.com with 5 star reviews. I find the problem, it is not about the charger, but it is about the cable, I think the cable I used is for bluetooth device. With the original cable, it works fine.

But I do believe that this is still a potential bugs for WP. Because many people might use the computer to charge the cellphone. If it could only gets 500mA from usb, it should still boot correctly or wait until the user presses power on button.

I see. Thanks for these info. It's not really advisable to use chargers not specifically designed for your device, especially those that have a different output voltage and current since these may damage the internal circuitry built into the battery pack. I'm suspecting that the output current of your current charger is too low - the same is true for USB 2.0 ports.

Phones usually need a lot of power to start up from being turned off completely - it has to load a lot of things into working memory hence the energy requirement. This is the reason why a simple phone restart eats away at least 15% of the battery charge immediately. So if your battery is nearly drained and if your charger doesn't have the minimum output voltage and current, then your phone will not be able to boot up successfully.

Note that some chargers, especially the "affordable" ones, would have a power rating somewhere in there, but that doesn't guarantee its faithfulness to the indicated values. It may say 1A and 4.5V, but it may only be providing 800mA at 4.2V. That's the risk in having "those" chargers. For the safety of your phone, I'd recommend getting a high quality charger with the same output rating with the original charger, if not the original charger itself.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

The charge is the Nokia OEM one I bought from Amazon.com with 5 star reviews. I find the problem, it is not about the charger, but it is about the cable, I think the cable I used is for bluetooth device. With the original cable, it works fine.

But I do believe that this is still a potential bugs for WP. Because many people might use the computer to charge the cellphone. If it could only gets 500mA from usb, it should still boot correctly or wait until the user presses power on button.

It's great to know that your original cable works, thanks for this info.

Yes, the phone should start up as long as the minimum battery charge is present. This means that when your battery is fully drained (and still capable of being charged), you need to wait for the battery to reach this minimum start-up charge. This also means that a lower mA source (such as USB ports) would take more time than fast chargers would to make the phone "bootable".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro