Why do I have a grey screen with static at times?

Andres Avila

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Grey screen with static at times

Hi, I just joined this community because I recently (yesterday) bought a Lumia 925, everything was great, used it all day and night, today i tried to unlock it to call someone, but the screen was frozen it doesn't do anything, it shows flashes of grey with static or something like that, and it doesnt respond, I can get calls and the phone rings and everything but I can't see a dam* thing... I hope someone could help me, i'm worried. :unhappysweat:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Grey screen with static at times

Hi, I just joined this community because I recently (yesterday) bought a Lumia 925, everything was great, used it all day and night, today i tried to unlock it to call someone, but the screen was frozen it doesn't do anything, it shows flashes of grey with static or something like that, and it doesnt respond, I can get calls and the phone rings and everything but I can't see a dam* thing... I hope someone could help me, i'm worried. :unhappysweat:

This has happened to my L1020 at least twice in 10 months of ownership. It was heart-stopping every time, but since nothing "bad" happened afterwards and since that has not happened again recently especially with the new OS updates, I didn't worry about it too much.

I'm suspecting it's a bug in how the phone handles itself in the wake-up process (e.g. when a call arrives (as in your case) and when I decide to check how much charge my phone has acquired after being plugged in for a certain amount of time (as in my case)). Just perform a soft reset* (press the volume down and power buttons together until your phone turns off) and see if that eliminates the fluke.

*- The date and time of your phone will also be reset, so you may want to make sure that gets automatically synchronized 5-10 minuets after the restart.

Andres Avila

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site

This has happened to my L1020 at least twice in 10 months of ownership. It was heart-stopping every time, but since nothing "bad" happened afterwards and since that has not happened again recently especially with the new OS updates, I didn't worry about it too much.

I'm suspecting it's a bug in how the phone handles itself in the wake-up process (e.g. when a call arrives (as in your case) and when I decide to check how much charge my phone has acquired after being plugged in for a certain amount of time (as in my case)). Just perform a soft reset* (press the volume down and power buttons together until your phone turns off) and see if that eliminates the fluke.

*- The date and time of your phone will also be reset, so you may want to make sure that gets automatically synchronized 5-10 minuets after the restart.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I tried several times with the soft reset and nothing, when the Phone tries to reboot and show the Nokia logo the screen iluminates and flashes but it doesn't show anything and stays black, I have noticed that when the phone is charging the screen tries to show the "glance screen" but it ends up getting black and the three buttons of home, back and search blink everytime the phone tries to do so, the phone stays in this cycle unless I cover the proximity sensor. And when I press the unlock button is when I see the grey static screen. I don't really know what else to do.

Should I be worried about the screen being broken or anything like that?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Is the blink rate of the three icons regular or irregular?

If it is regular, it may be software related. Have you installed either the Live Lock Screen BETA or the Tetra Lock Screen apps? You may want to uninstall them first if you did. If you haven't, you could try forcing your phone to update by downloading an additional language for your keyboard. This will prompt your phone to restart and "update".

If it is irregular, then it may be hardware-related, e.g. the proximity and/or ambient light sensor. Covering a functional ambient light sensor will illuminate the icons, while exposing it to light will deactivate the illumination.

At any rate, since your phone is still relatively fresh from the box, you may want to have it replaced while your warranty covers it. Take note of the IMEI# of your current phone and then compare it with the IMEI# of the "replacement" phone - they should be different* **.

*- Other service centers and stores do not actually replace the phone - they just tinker with it and then say that it is a different phone. In this case, the IMEI will be the same. Insist that it should be replaced due to factory defects.

**- Do not post your IMEI here - just a precaution since a lot of users here post their IMEI numbers here - this is a huge security risk.

Andres Avila

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for your advice and your help but dispate the phone still has its warranty, I bought it through Amazon in the US and shipped it to Venezuela (where i'm from), I talked to the guys of Nokia here in my country and they told me that i can take it to a mobile carrier that sells lumia phones and they'll know how to help me. Since they are all on vacations due to the holidays i've decided to update my phone's software with the Lumia Software Recovery Tool and see if it helps.

I'll be updating any news.

Thanks again.

Andres Avila

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site

I updated the software using the Lumia Software Recovery Tool and it didn't help, this is what the phone is doing currently, I runned out of ideas, if there's another advice i'll be glad to read it.

youtu.be
/
NyhQljbzUtk

Thanks.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

I updated the software using the Lumia Software Recovery Tool and it didn't help, this is what the phone is doing currently, I runned out of ideas, if there's another advice i'll be glad to read it.

youtu.be
/
NyhQljbzUtk

Thanks.

Ok, now it definitely looks like a hardware issue. I don't know the schedule of the malls and stores are there in Venezuela, but in my country the malls are open even in the holidays. Aren't there phone dealers in the malls there? They should be open at least until today.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3