Lumia 920, Lumia 925 & Lumia 1020 won?t get the camera speed improvements with Lumia Denim

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I started to get confused myself, when I started seeing so many threads asking and saying that they were getting some type of denim update. MS stated at the keynote and it was also stated on "Lumiaconverstions.com" that only 830/930/icon/1520 would see any benefit. So I didn't understand why so many ppl got confused.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Please do not become confused if other people can not read. (or understand what they read).
Merry Christmas

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Only newer hardware can benefit from the faster speeds, because in one way or another, they're faster.

I'm still surprised at the decision Microsoft made for this, considering that it would be simpler for the PR Unit to just declare that the older and lower-end models would get smaller improvements from this.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
While I understand the outdated hardware argument, it doesn't make sense as to why Lumia Camera was slow in the first place, for devices that have much smaller cameras than the 1020. The hardware has supported instant capture for quite a lot of years now. Android had instant capture since 4.0, which was released in 2011, so clearly it's not a hardware setback.

For all the marketing on camera MS did/does, it should have been properly-coded out of the gate.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
While I understand the outdated hardware argument, it doesn't make sense as to why Lumia Camera was slow in the first place, for devices that have much smaller cameras than the 1020. The hardware has supported instant capture for quite a lot of years now. Android had instant capture since 4.0, which was released in 2011, so clearly it's not a hardware setback.

For all the marketing on camera MS did/does, it should have been properly-coded out of the gate.
Try default system camera. Not Lumia camera

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not a hardware limitation. Denim for x2x is a joke, I bet they won't even fix the camera processing junk post portico update (amber+).
Support with Microsoft is ALWAYS a mixed bag.

Microsoft should take some cues from Apple. Can hate on iOS and iPhones all day but at least the support is top notch. For example, why can't we get "Hey Cortana" functionality when plugged into an outlet?

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
It's absulutly confirmed that for old lumia device the lumia denim upg is ONLY a OS upgrade (and NOT also fw upg). Is very simple to see if you go at this site:
Availability in Europe - Nokia
and compare fw version between cyan upd and denim upd from the same models

You don't know. I mean, I agree, so far, x20 devices are getting a minor Cyan update and latest GDR1.

But the 930 got GDR1 ahead of Denim in October, so it may be a similar operation where OS is updated first.

Plus there is a .1447.0001 firmware (so Cyan, but the difference is bigger that the incrementation you can see for 520 for instance) being tested on Finnish 1020 and 925. Microsoft said in early December that "it was an update to Cyan ahead of the Denim update".

So nobody knows if ultimately, there will be a major FW upgrade (I mean, in versions) for let's say 1020. But for sure, it won't bring anything camera-wise.

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Some things all Lumias could have received.
As HDR and new algorithms images (the first, even Android low-ends like Moto E have and the second, ALL PHONES IN THE EARTH CAN HAVE)
But why Microsoft did it?
For you to buy a new Lumia.

supershi80

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
You don't know. I mean, I agree, so far, x20 devices are getting a minor Cyan update and latest GDR1.

But the 930 got GDR1 ahead of Denim in October, so it may be a similar operation where OS is updated first.

Plus there is a .1447.0001 firmware (so Cyan, but the difference is bigger that the incrementation you can see for 520 for instance) being tested on Finnish 1020 and 925. Microsoft said in early December that "it was an update to Cyan ahead of the Denim update".

So nobody knows if ultimately, there will be a major FW upgrade (I mean, in versions) for let's say 1020. But for sure, it won't bring anything camera-wise.

Very Simple to see that the Denim upg only upgrade the OS (and not the FW), see this:

Product Lumia 925 Description O2 Release Denim OS ver8.10.14176.243 Firmware version 3051.50009.1424.0005
Product Lumia 925 Description T-Mobile Release Cyan OS version8.10.12393.890 Firmware version 3051.50009.1424.0007

Last edited:

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

This is most likely the update for the freezing issues of the 925 & 1020 which Microsoft promised a few weeks ago in their support forums.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Try default system camera. Not Lumia camera

I do use it, and it's plenty fast. But the results don't come out the same way for me as they do for Lumia Camera. Maybe's it's placebo, I don't know. Or perhaps the Lumia Cam has better software processing (which after is what PureView is), and the stock camera doesn't take advantage of that.

supershi80

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
For me the only important thing is that MS solves the postprocessing issue introduce by Amber upgraded (and remained on Black and Cyan). With this My photos are not very sharp and with a horrible yellowish/greenish tint.

Denim will not fix this incredibile issue :-((((((

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
This is most likely the update for the freezing issues of the 925 & 1020 which Microsoft promised a few weeks ago in their support forums.

nope the fix is either not released or it's not working. I have Denim on my 1020 o2 germany and tge freezing issues are still present

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
nope the fix is either not released or it's not working. I have Denim on my 1020 o2 germany and tge freezing issues are still present
No you don't have Denim as a FW, you have GDR1 and the worst part is that you don't even have latest gdr1 like a simple 520. Your fw version is still in 1424.xxxx when the cyan update I mentioned and that is believed to fix the freezes is versioned 1447.xxxx

So even if I've read above "it's easy to see denim won't change the fw", I insist: A Cyan update is being tested on FI 925 and 1020. All 925 or 1020 which have "received" denim are branded (O2), they got GDR1 (but not the latest version so no Cortana in Europe for instance) and they're still running 1424.xxxx firmware.

I hope you guys with O2 variants will receive another update to catch up OS (latest GDR 1) and FW ;)

supershi80

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
No you don't have Denim as a FW, you have GDR1 and the worst part is that you don't even have latest gdr1 like a simple 520. Your fw version is still in 1424.xxxx when the cyan update I mentioned and that is believed to fix the freezes is versioned 1447.xxxx

So even if I've read above "it's easy to see denim won't change the fw", I insist: A Cyan update is being tested on FI 925 and 1020. All 925 or 1020 which have "received" denim are branded (O2), they got GDR1 (but not the latest version so no Cortana in Europe for instance) and they're still running 1424.xxxx firmware.

I hope you guys with O2 variants will receive another update to catch up OS (latest GDR 1) and FW ;)

Denim for old x2x lumia device maintains the fw 1424 (the same of cyan)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte