Need help and advice ! Secondary mic problem and backup issues

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys

I need your help / advice ! I am experiencing already very known problem with secondary microphone. I own Lumia 925. I tried soft reset, didnt helped. So far I read that hard reset doesnt help too but I can try.

The problem is that I am afraid that I will lose my data as I have another problem (with backup). on 97% it shows some error. I tried all the steps I found on the net. I deleted backup on Onedrive then tried to backup. No I dont have Tetra Lockscreen and I disabled Preview for developers. Also I tried to set some low file size screen on lockscreen. Nothing works. Altho when I deleted my backup and it failed to backup, it is showing me some 50 MB backup. So I dont know if it is safe to go hard reset or not.

Also, most of Ive read is that guys experienced problem with secondary microphone after 8.1 update. I experienced it sometimes in November (and I already was on 8.1 PD long time ago) I found out when I watched some videos I recorded in November that theres no sound or just a little and a noise in the background. When I switch to Lumia camera it just go mono and not stereo as the secondary one is broken.

So my questions is, it is worth to try had reset? Is it safe to go hard reset when I have backup issues? If hard reset wont work, I still have 1 year warranty but there is another problem, I dont have any spare phone and I need one to use. I dont have money for a new one I cant afford it right now. And If I would send it back with warranty. Should I somehow restore it? Is it possible they wont accept it cause I used preview for developers? Is it trackable? I disabled it already and the DENIM I installed wasnt from preview, it was installed with preview turned off.

Thanks for any input guys

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Backup 97%
People who deleted the backup on OneDrive and made a new one that "failed" but on OneDrive they saw a backup reported that after a factory reset/hard reset they could install the backup without problems.
So the risk that you loose all "data" is small.
The backup however "only" backs up apps and settings so even if you miss one app you can reinstall it from the shop.
Pictures, music, documents are not included in above backup. These you have to backup on your pc or OneDrive manual.
Also be aware that for example not all games can store the game results in a backup so even with a 100% backup you may loose some settings.
And if you have apps which are now removed from the store you also will not get them back.
But overall a hard reset is fairly safe.

If a hard reset does not solve your problem you still could use the Lumia software recovery tool. This flashes your phone with the latest official software and removes pfd. So after this there is no pfd on your phone and no problems with warranty.
But we also have reports from people who had pfd on there phone and still could get warranty.

No phone
With that i can not help you but could you not borrow an old phone (pre smartphone) from some or buy it for a few dollar/euro

If you still have questions please ask.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...singleTopic%26topic%3DFA142987&token=F2xUKI46

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Backup 97%
People who deleted the backup on OneDrive and made a new one that "failed" but on OneDrive they saw a backup reported that after a factory reset/hard reset they could install the backup without problems.
So the risk that you loose all "data" is small.
The backup however "only" backs up apps and settings so even if you miss one app you can reinstall it from the shop.
Pictures, music, documents are not included in above backup. These you have to backup on your pc or OneDrive manual.
Also be aware that for example not all games can store the game results in a backup so even with a 100% backup you may loose some settings.
And if you have apps which are now removed from the store you also will not get them back.
But overall a hard reset is fairly safe.

If a hard reset does not solve your problem you still could use the Lumia software recovery tool. This flashes your phone with the latest official software and removes pfd. So after this there is no pfd on your phone and no problems with warranty.
But we also have reports from people who had pfd on there phone and still could get warranty.

No phone
With that i can not help you but could you not borrow an old phone (pre smartphone) from some or buy it for a few dollar/euro

If you still have questions please ask.

FAQ - How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software? - Microsoft - UK

Thanks for fast answer !

I am not worried about games and saves, I am not that much of a gamer on phone. I rather am worried about text messages and overall setup of my start screen. But I guess the messages are part of the other backup which is completely safe right?

Are there any risks with flashing the phone? Is it hard? Is the flashing an "official tool" ? Isnt it something that will void my warranty?

There are some e-shops in my country where I can return the phone in timespan of 2 weeks and get moneyback so I am thinking of using that while my phone will be away.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for fast answer !

I am not worried about games and saves, I am not that much of a gamer on phone. I rather am worried about text messages and overall setup of my start screen. But I guess the messages are part of the other backup which is completely safe right?

Are there any risks with flashing the phone? Is it hard? Is the flashing an "official tool" ? Isnt it something that will void my warranty?

There are some e-shops in my country where I can return the phone in timespan of 2 weeks and get moneyback so I am thinking of using that while my phone will be away.

Indeed messages backup is part of another backup. If you use the same Microsoft account you get the messages on your phone after a reset and it does not matter if you do a fresh set up or not. And the overall setup should not be a problem, maybe a small hiccup here or there like if you have a app pinned to your start screen which is pulled from the shop then you have a empty space.

The Lumia software recovery tool is an official Microsoft tool and renews your software (flashes the software). It is official an official Microsoft tool and does not void your guaranty and the link in my above post is to an official Microsoft site.

You however also can flash a different ROM on your phone so if you have a German version you can flash an Italian version on your phone this however will void your warranty.

Basically a hard reset or the Lumia software recover tool are safe.
But ....
If you run out of battery or switch off your phone, during the process your phone can get bricked.
If you use the LSRT your phone is connected during the process with an USB if you disconnect it during the process your phone will be bricked or if you interrupt the program or switch off your computer.
But even if your phone is bricked you may use the LSRT to get it alive again.

But off course I can not give you a 100% guaranty that nothing at all can go wrong but a lot of people already did it without problems but some had bad luck and some bricked there phone due to "messing" around during the process.

MarkusDindu

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I still cannot figure out why some 925's are getting this microphone problem, and some aren't. My 925 is old, I bought it the first couple days it was released, and my mic's still work. I frequently worry that mine will eventually fail though.

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Indeed messages backup is part of another backup. If you use the same Microsoft account you get the messages on your phone after a reset and it does not matter if you do a fresh set up or not. And the overall setup should not be a problem, maybe a small hiccup here or there like if you have a app pinned to your start screen which is pulled from the shop then you have a empty space.

The Lumia software recovery tool is an official Microsoft tool and renews your software (flashes the software). It is official an official Microsoft tool and does not void your guaranty and the link in my above post is to an official Microsoft site.

You however also can flash a different ROM on your phone so if you have a German version you can flash an Italian version on your phone this however will void your warranty.

Basically a hard reset or the Lumia software recover tool are safe.
But ....
If you run out of battery or switch off your phone, during the process your phone can get bricked.
If you use the LSRT your phone is connected during the process with an USB if you disconnect it during the process your phone will be bricked or if you interrupt the program or switch off your computer.
But even if your phone is bricked you may use the LSRT to get it alive again.

But off course I can not give you a 100% guaranty that nothing at all can go wrong but a lot of people already did it without problems but some had bad luck and some bricked there phone due to "messing" around during the process.

Yea thanks, I was just making sure cause when I downloaded it there was a text saying (for older Lumia and Nokia phones) I guess they meant for every Lumia phone except new Microsoft phones.

But by using this tool, it will flash the right ROM.. right? :D I wont run out of battery I will take care of that nor I will touch it during the proces. I will try it and let you know how it worked out. Thanks

I still cannot figure out why some 925's are getting this microphone problem, and some aren't. My 925 is old, I bought it the first couple days it was released, and my mic's still work. I frequently worry that mine will eventually fail though.

Well mine was fine too until November, some update must bricked it but I dont know which one.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Yea thanks, I was just making sure cause when I downloaded it there was a text saying (for older Lumia and Nokia phones) I guess they meant for every Lumia phone except new Microsoft phones.

But by using this tool, it will flash the right ROM.. right? :D I wont run out of battery I will take care of that nor I will touch it during the proces. I will try it and let you know how it worked out. Thanks

Actual there are now 2 tools the Lumia software recovery tool and the Windows software recovery tool.
The Windows software recovery tool is a recent addition and introduced by Microsoft at the start of the release of the windows 10 preview for phones and it only works for Lumia phones.
The Lumia software recover tool is the "old" Nokia software recovery tool and is for Lumia phones but also other Nokia phones like the Asha phones .
When Microsoft took over part of Nokia they renamed it from Nokia to Lumia. But the Windows software recovery tool is "only" Microsoft.
So you could basically use both tools.

If you connect your phone to the tool it will determine which phone it is and which ROM is needed so you do not have to choose anything.

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Actual there are now 2 tools the Lumia software recovery tool and the Windows software recovery tool.
The Windows software recovery tool is a recent addition and introduced by Microsoft at the start of the release of the windows 10 preview for phones and it only works for Lumia phones.
The Lumia software recover tool is the "old" Nokia software recovery tool and is for Lumia phones but also other Nokia phones like the Asha phones .
When Microsoft took over part of Nokia they renamed it from Nokia to Lumia. But the Windows software recovery tool is "only" Microsoft.
So you could basically use both tools.

If you connect your phone to the tool it will determine which phone it is and which ROM is needed so you do not have to choose anything.

Thats what I thought about the tools. Btw, I just find out that there is an option in backup of my messages (download messages from timespan) 1 month option was selected, so it will only backup messages not older than 1 month? I want all of them so I picked the other option. When can I expect it to "refresh" or make a new backup?

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Well the hard reset didnt fixed the issue as expected. Should I try the flash too? Is there any differences between them? Btw: Hardreset removes any trace of PFD right? Theres no need to flash it or ?

Last edited:

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Well the hard reset didnt fixed the issue as expected. Should I try the flash too? Is there any differences between them? Btw: Hardreset removes any trace of PFD right? Theres no need to flash it or ?

No a hard reset does not remove the PFD only the flash does.
With a hard reset you "just" reinstall the software on your phone "again" and you still keep the PFD.
With a flash you renew the software and this software does not contain PFD.

A hard reset did not solve your problem so that indicates that it was not due to a "buggy" installed "driver".
So it is hardware or the software on your phone is "buggy".
If you use the recovery tool you renew the software.
So if it is software then it should work after the recovery tool.
If it still does not work then it is hardware.

Bye the way sorry that i did not replied earlier. Actual i do not know how long it takes for the SMS backup.
Size wise it should not take long but I do not know how to trigger it.
Maybe a "sync" of your account will do it.

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
No a hard reset does not remove the PFD only the flash does.
With a hard reset you "just" reinstall the software on your phone "again" and you still keep the PFD.
With a flash you renew the software and this software does not contain PFD.

A hard reset did not solve your problem so that indicates that it was not due to a "buggy" installed "driver".
So it is hardware or the software on your phone is "buggy".
If you use the recovery tool you renew the software.
So if it is software then it should work after the recovery tool.
If it still does not work then it is hardware.

Bye the way sorry that i did not replied earlier. Actual i do not know how long it takes for the SMS backup.
Size wise it should not take long but I do not know how to trigger it.
Maybe a "sync" of your account will do it.

No problem I took a risk and went for it. I have all of my SMS so its okay. Overall all is good, altho what is annoying and MS should work on this is that when I copied all of the photos back, they are not sorted by date anymore. They all show "March 2015". Somehow MS should add properties and dates to each file so the system can recognize it when they are copied out and back to phone. I hope W10 will fix this.

About the flash, oh well so I would have to flash it :/ Okay, wont do it today probably, I will let you know how it goes.

fdl3

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Nokia 928 with non-working secondary microphones. Still testing, but I suspect a software issue, not hardware.

The mics quit working shortly after upgrading to WP 8.1 DP. Prior to that, mics worked fine. Afterward: Cortana could not hear anything, speech to text could not hear anything, MS and Lumia Camera audio record only static.

On a whim, turned Cortana off, rebooted phone (as requested), and secondary mics work again.

However, first time use MS Camera to record video, only static. And mics stop working again.

Reboot seems to fix. Lumia Camera seems not to kill mics.

More testing.

WP: 8.1 Update - Denim
Firmware: 3051.50009.1446.0093

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Nokia 928 with non-working secondary microphones. Still testing, but I suspect a software issue, not hardware.

The mics quit working shortly after upgrading to WP 8.1 DP. Prior to that, mics worked fine. Afterward: Cortana could not hear anything, speech to text could not hear anything, MS and Lumia Camera audio record only static.

On a whim, turned Cortana off, rebooted phone (as requested), and secondary mics work again.

However, first time use MS Camera to record video, only static. And mics stop working again.

Reboot seems to fix. Lumia Camera seems not to kill mics.

More testing.

WP: 8.1 Update - Denim
Firmware: 3051.50009.1446.0093

It is hardware issue on 98%. I tried hard reset, updates, reinstall of OS. Now I am even go for W10 TP and try if it works there, then go back to W 8.0 if nothing helps I send it back with warranty.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro