Why is my Lumia 925 photo resolution so low?

nesspj

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 925 photo resolution is low

Hi there,

Recently (and i don't know if this was since my phone got the Denim update or due to some app), the photo resolution of the pictures my camera takes are drastically lower then normal.
Right now my camera is making pictures in the order of a 1600x900 resolution while the camera should be capable of making pictures around 3200x1600 resolution (or something of the sort...)
- I am not using my front cam
- I read that Skydrive can store compressed pictures for you, but i have never used and/or am not using Skydrive to store my picures.
- I checked my camera settings but can not find anything related
- I do not have any weird apps installed that could interfere with my camera. All i use is WP Camera and Lumia Camera/Panorama app.

Has anyone seen this before? I hope someone here knows how to solve this!

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 925 photo resolution is low

Did you try to use a third party camera app to compare the results? WC has done quite a few articles on good third party cam apps :)

nesspj

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion but that does not really solve the problem. Even if a third party app would work well, thats merely a workaround.
I just want to figure out what caused this issue to happen and how i can actually use the 8,7 MP camera thats on my phone. :)

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

Have you tried a factory reset. Denim update on some devices does not play nice and a reset is needed.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

Hi there,

Recently (and i don't know if this was since my phone got the Denim update or due to some app), the photo resolution of the pictures my camera takes are drastically lower then normal.
Right now my camera is making pictures in the order of a 1600x900 resolution while the camera should be capable of making pictures around 3200x1600 resolution (or something of the sort...)
- I am not using my front cam
- I read that Skydrive can store compressed pictures for you, but i have never used and/or am not using Skydrive to store my picures.
- I checked my camera settings but can not find anything related
- I do not have any weird apps installed that could interfere with my camera. All i use is WP Camera and Lumia Camera/Panorama app.

Has anyone seen this before? I hope someone here knows how to solve this!

Uninstalling and reinstalling Lumia camera app solved the problem for many of them facing similar issue!

nesspj

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site

Kaushik; Thank you for the tip but still no luck after reinstalling Lumia Camera i'm affraid. The normal Camera app from Windows Phone (Denim) seems to have the same problem as well.

blue1k; I'm bound to do a factory reset now, but here's the thing... My Apps & Settings backup will not complete to 100%! It will only complete to 97% (even if i delete the current backup that's supposed to be on my Skydrive). Skydrive also says the backup is only 11,02 MB in size.

Do you guys think i can reset my phone and get all my settings back with this "incompleted" backup ?
I don't really care about game settings (I barely play any games on this thing). The only thing i care about is phone settings and my start screen etc. (whatsapp messages etc).

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

Kaushik; Thank you for the tip but still no luck after reinstalling Lumia Camera i'm affraid. The normal Camera app from Windows Phone (Denim) seems to have the same problem as well.

blue1k; I'm bound to do a factory reset now, but here's the thing... My Apps & Settings backup will not complete to 100%! It will only complete to 97% (even if i delete the current backup that's supposed to be on my Skydrive). Skydrive also says the backup is only 11,02 MB in size.

Do you guys think i can reset my phone and get all my settings back with this "incompleted" backup ?
I don't really care about game settings (I barely play any games on this thing). The only thing i care about is phone settings and my start screen etc. (whatsapp messages etc).
WhatsApp message backup files can be found in Windowsphonebackup folder in Whatsapp folder so no risk of loosing messages, as for settings etc....i don't think an incomplete backup will help..so delete the incomplete backup first then soft reset your device and start a fresh backup...! After it gets done....pedorm the hard reset !

Diwagar

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

1. Which camera app you use by default?
2. Can you please check your camera setting and see what is the resolution chosen and what are the other resolutions you see over there? A screenshot would help here

nesspj

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site

How do you know the resolution is changed?

Can you use below app and compare an "old" and a new photo.
[....]

Hey, thanks for the handy app! I loaded some of the last photo's and the panorama's i took and the resolution is fine now!
Turns out that nothing changed, only that WP 8.1 is compressing the pictures by default when i send them to myself using E-mail or to a friend using Messenger/Whatsapp.

nesspj

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site

Kaushik; Thanks for all the help so far. I actually tried the instructions on that page before. I did it with a power down of my device instead of a soft reset though. So i just did a soft reset and tried again... still the same. It gives me the error and the backup is now 10,64 MB in size.
Should i solve this before giving my device a hard reset? I really don't want to lose any settings.

I tried to nail this problem by simply making sure i had no weird apps on my phone or any of the apps that people claim cause this issue, yet the problem is still there. :(
These are all of the apps i currently have installed:
9292, 9Gag, Files, Buienradar, Chat for Steam, Dumpert, eBay, E-Thermostaat, Facebook, Flappy Bird 3, Flashligt-X, Flitsmeister, Funny Sounds, Here Drive+, Here Maps, Here Transit, Kentekeninformatie, Kill my music, Level meter pro+, Lumia Beamer, Lumia Camera, Lumia Creative studio, Lumia help+tips, Lumia Panorama, Messenger, Mijn Pakket, MixRadio, Mobiel bankieren, Nu.nl, OV-chipkaart, OveropIBAN, PDF Reader, Picture Info, Regenmeter, Skype, Soundhound, Supertimer Free, Telegram beta, Thuisbezorgd.nl, TinyVNC, TVGids.nl, Tweakers.net, Twitter, Whatsapp, Windows Central, Youtube en Zinio

Any ideas?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Kaushik; Thanks for all the help so far. I actually tried the instructions on that page before. I did it with a power down of my device instead of a soft reset though. So i just did a soft reset and tried again... still the same. It gives me the error and the backup is now 10,64 MB in size.
Should i solve this before giving my device a hard reset? I really don't want to lose any settings.

I tried to nail this problem by simply making sure i had no weird apps on my phone or any of the apps that people claim cause this issue, yet the problem is still there. :(
These are all of the apps i currently have installed:
9292, 9Gag, Files, Buienradar, Chat for Steam, Dumpert, eBay, E-Thermostaat, Facebook, Flappy Bird 3, Flashligt-X, Flitsmeister, Funny Sounds, Here Drive+, Here Maps, Here Transit, Kentekeninformatie, Kill my music, Level meter pro+, Lumia Beamer, Lumia Camera, Lumia Creative studio, Lumia help+tips, Lumia Panorama, Messenger, Mijn Pakket, MixRadio, Mobiel bankieren, Nu.nl, OV-chipkaart, OveropIBAN, PDF Reader, Picture Info, Regenmeter, Skype, Soundhound, Supertimer Free, Telegram beta, Thuisbezorgd.nl, TinyVNC, TVGids.nl, Tweakers.net, Twitter, Whatsapp, Windows Central, Youtube en Zinio

Any ideas?

Not sure which app is the weird one.
But if you do the hard reset (even if it is 100%) you will loose the downloaded HERE maps, you will have to login in your HERE account again, have to reactivate the mobiel bankieren ( i have ING and i had to reactivate it), login again to OV chipkaart, login again to WP central and not sure what E-thermostaat, thuisbezorgen.nl, eBay, Mijn Pakket will do.
Furthermore there is an issue with EXTRAS+INFO so you probably will get an "older" version.

So if you wanted to hard reset because you wanted to fix the camera I would not do the hard reset.

PS Indeed pictures are compressed with e-mail and messenger/whatsapp.

nesspj

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site

Well, actually the camera issue is fixed now (thanks for that :) ).
All i wanted to do the hard reset for now is, to fix the Backup problem. But i have also read some reports that the "incomplete backup" problem could be Whatsapp related? Maybe i should try a backup with that uninstalled, before i try the hard reset.

I'm guessing for default phone settings + start screen + account settings, the incomplete backup of 97% will still be valid enough?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Well, actually the camera issue is fixed now (thanks for that :) ).
All i wanted to do the hard reset for now is, to fix the Backup problem. But i have also read some reports that the "incomplete backup" problem could be Whatsapp related? Maybe i should try a backup with that uninstalled, before i try the hard reset.

I'm guessing for default phone settings + start screen + account settings, the incomplete backup of 97% will still be valid enough?

Yes it will, because we got several feedbacks that 97% will give a good backup.
And people who did it could do afterwards a100% backup.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Hey, thanks for the handy app! I loaded some of the last photo's and the panorama's i took and the resolution is fine now!
Turns out that nothing changed, only that WP 8.1 is compressing the pictures by default when i send them to myself using E-mail or to a friend using Messenger/Whatsapp.

If you want to send a non compressed picture by email you can use below app.
http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=d2b228ba-39b1-4cb7-8e12-f9bf48e61281

Mark the box "Zip image file to prevent resizing" and the picture will be send "full" size.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

To send via email, you simply have to rename the file so it doesn't have a recognisable extension. So, install the MS 'Files' app if you haven't already, rename that full res jpeg to mypicture.pic (or some such) and freely send via email. Sorted.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss