Why is 925 so slow to boot/start up?

kdk24z

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I really know nothing of smart phones or how they work. My Lumia 925 is the first smart phone I've ever had. I've had it for about a year and a half and enjoy it and have never had any problems with it. I noticed a few months ago that when it was shut off and I would start it up, it would take a really long time for it to get passed the T-Mobile start up screen and be ready to go - I timed it and it would be a good two minutes and when I first got it the phone was very quick to start up.

I do a lot of tweaking with my desktop/laptop systems, and I enjoy doing a fresh install once a year just for the fun of it. I thought setting my Lumia 925 back to factory might be a good idea as I've never done so. I don't use my phone for much and don't install a lot of stuff on it, so it wouldn't be a hassle for me.

I did the factory reset and got it all back to current updates and such. I only have a few applications installed and have 11.17 GB of free space on the phone. The first couple of times it started up it took less than 30 seconds to be ready to go, much like it was when I first got the phone. It only took a day or so and it was back to taking a couple of minutes to be ready. I repeated the reset and update process just for the heck of it and again it was quick to start for a day or so and now is back to being really slow on the T-Mobile start screen.

Does anybody know why this is happening, what the cause is, or is this just normal? Thank you in advance for your help.

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi there. Sorry to hear of the condition of your 925 and the frustration you have to deal with.

I would suggest doing a clean flash (reinstall) of the OS via the Windows phone recovery tool or the Lumia Software recovery tool. Note that this will delete all data, so please do back up your important files etc etc.

If however it goes back to being slow, im afraid that it might be the internal memory starting to fail (like how Hard drives fail or pendrives after tonnes of read and write).

Lets keep our fingers crossed that its merely software.

kdk24z

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Well, I used the recovery tool that restored it to a fresh installation of the OS. It was again quick to start up. I piece by piece re-installed the few apps that I use and it continued to be quick to restart/start up. After about the fourth or fifth restart it went right back to being slow to restart. The actual operation of the phone and the apps don't seem to be impeded, so I guess I just won't worry about it. Thanks for the tips. :smile:

Ukyo

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm not an expert but my guess is it has to do w/ some of the apps you've installed. Maybe it's running on bootup and hogging resources. Only way to really test it out is to install apps individually and wait a few days between each app and restarts. Smartphones, especially for those who don't tinker/hack with custom firmware/roms should never restart on its own.

kdk24z

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Just an update to this thread. A while back I decided to give the Insider fast-ring a try and have been running the latest version of WM10 on my L925 and it always starts up super fast. There is none of that lagging that I was getting with 8.1 before. I haven't had any problems with WM10 on my L925 except for Edge. Edge on my phone is absolutely terrible and I really don't even use my phone for web browsing for now. I've tried using Surfy but that also crashes and closes. Other than the web browsing problem, WM10 on my L925 is working GREAT! :)

I also followed the video tutorial on how to make the L925 wireless charging and it has been working FANTASTIC! It was really quite easy and quick to do and it is SO wonderful to not have to deal with cords and plugging the phone in. I just set it on a wireless charging pad I picked up used and my phone keeps nice and charged up. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa