Lumia 925 sudden battery drops. Will a rest help?

Narada93

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm noticing sudden drops of one or two percentage at once within few seconds at some points (not the whole battery). And it's not happening in the same exact point every time, so i guess it's not a hardware issue. Will a soft rest or hard rest help? If yes a soft reset or hard rest?
But chances are there that it could be hardware issue since I bought this few weeks back and it has been in stores for almost a year in it's box. Any solutions? anyone having same issue? Will a rest help this?
someone please give an answer :confused:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
You probably just need to use the battery a bit more, to "wake up" those Li-ions and electrode matrices after being stored for a long time - Li-ion batteries are best stored with a charge of around 50%, but we're not sure just how much charge it had when it was kept for that long in the store. So, give it a few more weeks of normal use. However, try to follow the general tip in the next paragraph.

Here's a general tip on how to make your battery last longer. Keep the difference between charge and discharge less than 40-50% at a time, e.g. if you intend to discharge your phone from 100% to 10%*, once you get to 50% charge it back up to 60% and then continue to 10%. Better would be 100-70-80-50-60-30-40-10... basically, the lower the difference, the less chemical stresses the battery will be subjected to and the longer it will last (service life, not battery life). The same is true for charging. Best practices involve keeping the charge between 50-80% - although that would increase the battery service life several times, it could become impractical, especially that would imply having to charge the phone more often which can become really obstructive.

*- Doing this sometimes forces the battery circuitry to re-calibrate itself, hence making the charge estimates more accurate. It is, however, not really needed in my opinion. Battery charge indicators are mere estimates within 1-5% of the actual power content, as long as the battery does not report 50% for an actual power content of 10%. Calibrating the battery (by that method) more often than needed actually does more harm to the battery than normal use will.

Narada93

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, much appreciated your help. But I even noticed that sometimes when I use it heavily for some time, some amount of battery drains. and also after stopping the work and keeping the device on stand by, it loses another few percentages on standby at the rate of as on heavy use and stops at some point. is it normal? if not software problem or hardware problem?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
That's part of the inaccuracy of the estimation scheme implemented in battery circuits - it's not physically convenient to determine the absolute/exact number of ions still available for power in a battery cavity, so what battery circuits do (in addition to regulating and protecting the battery from over-charge and over-discharge) is to estimate the amount of power remaining based on the output voltage of the battery. Now there is some hysteresis/delay between the actual output voltage and the rate of discharge, hence the reported charge amounts will also have a delay. This could explain why a phone remains at 100% for some time given the logical fact that the battery can't remain at 100% right after the phone is unplugged from the charger (law of conservation of energy).

So, (pardon for my long text), yes - at the current level available technology, that is quite normal.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre