Hi everyone
    i'm thinking to update my lumia to windows 10 but i would like to hear some reviews from you guys. It's my main phone so i cannot destroy it... what about app? battery? and everything...thanks!
    03-23-2016 06:39 PM
    Main phone = Don't do it in my book.

I had W10 10586.164 on my 925 and it was a mess.
    Camera was worse.
    Wi-Fi dropped constantly.
    Tiles weren't updating
    Apps like the WC beta app cashed
    Cortana quit working
    I had notification glitches
    The Skype integration with messaging was irritating.

Returned the phone to 8.1 where it should have stayed.
    Your experience may be different however.
    Last edited by Guytronic; 03-29-2016 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Gwammer :(
    03-23-2016 08:46 PM
    I updated my Lumia 925 to Windows 10 Mobile even though I shouldn't have done that - there is probably a reason why Microsoft didn't decide for releasing it officially for this device. While there are many points I like here are the pain points:

In general it works, but this is what I have observed:
    - Some tiles are not updating
    - News app crashes constantly when showing articles (re-installation didn't help)
    - Skype integration with messaging is irritating (I agree) and can't be switched off
    - In general everything becomes slightly laggy
    - Massive battery drain. I am still testing switching some background services off but even in flight mode the phone is just dead in the morning

I will probably revert back to Windows Phone 8.1...
    Guytronic and user-774 like this.
    03-25-2016 07:45 AM
    I updated my Lumia 925 to Windows 10 Mobile even though I shouldn't have done that - there is probably a reason why Microsoft didn't decide for releasing it officially for this device. While there are many points I like here are the pain points:

In general it works, but this is what I have observed:
    - Some tiles are not updating
    - News app crashes constantly when showing articles (re-installation didn't help)
    - Skype integration with messaging is irritating (I agree) and can't be switched off
    - In general everything becomes slightly laggy
    - Massive battery drain. I am still testing switching some background services off but even in flight mode the phone is just dead in the morning

I will probably revert back to Windows Phone 8.1...
    Hard reset the phone first before reverting to 8.1.
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-25-2016 11:41 AM
    Tool the plunge and installed Windows 10 on my 925 (slow ring). So far, after 24h seems to run ok, without any of the problems others have complained so far. The only problem was a signifficant drop in battery life, fixed so far by stopping un-necessary background services. Now Battery Sense reports something like 1.8% / hour, which I find acceptable.
    user-774 likes this.
    03-27-2016 02:54 AM
    Just have to reply to give another perspective.
    Updated to Windows 10 via the Fast Insider ring. Hard reset the phone. Despite people saying not to, I did let it restore my apps and data, and I haven't had a serious problem since. That was back in December. This is now the longest I've been running it on any version other than the one the phone came with. I can say in all sincerity, that the only recurring and mildly irritating things (which are just bugs in the version of the OS compounded by not having real firmware for Win10 on this phone) are the following:
    - Video played in-app or even from my recordings can sometimes cause flickering and the phone crashing out to the lock screen
    - The browser will very often load the last page you went to instead of the one you just clicked from another app. A quick touch of the back button reloads the page you want. Doesn't bother me enough to be a real issue.
    - getting too many texts at once or sending too many at once can slow the phone down a tiny tiny bit. This used to happen on 8.1 though.
    - The camera has a weird frame appear around it when you switch back and forth between landscape and portrait mode.

If I didn't mention it, it doesn't happen to me.
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-29-2016 06:26 AM
    Partly of stubbornness, partly of curiosity I haven't given up quickly on Windows 10 on my Lumia 925 - and it seems that I have the main pain point, the battery drain, sorted out:

First I simply deactivated all background services I didn't need, but over night the battery still drained out. While this did not help to fix the main issue, it certainly improved the battery life later. A night later I had the phone on, still in airplane mode, but without alarm on - and I didn't encounter the issue anymore. Over the weekend Microsoft released an update for its Alarm app, and after updating I tried it again with an alarm switched on for the next morning - this time without issue. In the release note they don't mention any fixes so this is just speculation, but maybe this helped solving this problem.

Anyway, now with many background services deactivated (notably Facebook), Outlook checking for emails only every hour, the battery life largely improved and if I don't use it a lot I make it nearly through two days.
    Guytronic and user-774 like this.
    03-29-2016 12:49 PM
    I was running W10 mobile on my L925 for a few months. It was nice, but I did have issues with it being jerky while scrolling for pretty much everything. Personally, I despised Edge browser and used Surfy instead, but different strokes for different folks. I had installed wireless charging into my L925 (which works GREAT!) so I never noticed any battery drain issues as when I'm not using my phone I would just set it on the wireless charging pad.

For me, it was mostly how much it had slowed everything down and the jerky scrolling that made me roll back to W8.1 mobile. Also was the fact that it didn't sound like the L925 would be getting any more W10 mobile updates through the Insider program, so I just rolled back to W8.1 one day when I was bored and felt like spending some time tinkering with my phone. I must say that comparing the features and how efficiently my L925 functions with W8.1, I'm going to stick with it. I'm not feeling left out or disappointed because I don't have W10 mobile on my L925 - it's an older phone and just doesn't have the oomph needed to run 10 as well as it does 8.1. Having my L925 run 10 felt a bit like running XP on a 486 PC - it worked, but not very well.

By comparison, I'm definitely not a power-user like most folks on this site are, so my take is likely more forgiving than others. I mostly just use the built-in apps and don't use the phone for anything other than phone calls, a few texts, checking the weather and browsing a couple of blogs. If I want all the zip-BANG that can come with W10 mobile, I'll purchase a 950XL or some other newer phone that can make use of W10. Most likely, I'll be fine with my L925 for a long time, but I'm curious to see if there will be a Surface phone in the future and see what that will be like.

My opinion is you certainly can install W10 mobile on your L925 via the Insider program and will enjoy it, but you may find some issues that are somewhat annoying, but not really a deal-breaker if you want to be on and using W10. I think you'd find W8.1 to work better on your L925, though. Do what I did - use the Insider program to try it out for a while and you can always roll back if you want.
    04-04-2016 04:06 PM
    How do you install Windows 10 on the 925 these days? I installed Windows insider fast ring and a have been checking for updates but nothing...

...that is what I did on our 1320 and 920 and they both almost immediately upgraded to win 10.
    04-05-2016 09:22 PM
    How do you install Windows 10 on the 925 these days? I installed Windows insider fast ring and a have been checking for updates but nothing...

...that is what I did on our 1320 and 920 and they both almost immediately upgraded to win 10.
    When did you do this with your 920/1320? As far as I remember, the builds that can be installed on the x20 devices - including the 925 - can now be found on the slow ring or the production ready ring. Fast ring is for Redstone which the x20 devices will never get.
    04-06-2016 12:43 AM
    Redstone is on fast and slow rings. For an x20 device you will need to select the 'Release Preview' ring.
    user-774 likes this.
    04-06-2016 01:00 AM
    When did you do this with your 920/1320? As far as I remember, the builds that can be installed on the x20 devices - including the 925 - can now be found on the slow ring or the production ready ring. Fast ring is for Redstone which the x20 devices will never get.
    End of Dec 2015 is when I updated the 920 and 1320...
    04-06-2016 06:25 AM
    End of Dec 2015 is when I updated the 920 and 1320...
    Did you manage to install Win10m on your L925?
    You would need to select the 'Release Preview' ring in the Insider app.
    04-06-2016 06:54 AM
    Yes, by selecting the release preview ring as you suggested...everything seems to be running just fine.
    04-06-2016 05:21 PM
    Has anyone been running production .164 with 925? I want to move my brother to windows 10. He's fine with windows 8.1 but I think he would benefit greatly from windows 10. Here are the things that are important.

*Cellular connectivity
    *Bluetooth car connectivity
    *Wifi connectivity
    *Call quality
    *general stability, he's not really big on apps he runs a few apps like BBM, facebook, 6tin, etc. Are apps like this more likely to crash on this phone?
    Battery is not super important as he typically charges it often enough. Is it that huge of a difference or are we talking maybe 30 minutes to 1 hour less battery?

Is it speedy? He already gets resuming often enough on 8.1. In fact my lumia 830 does resuming very often on 8.1 but it runs like butter in windows 10. Do transparent tiles slow things down greatly? He isn't super concerned about live tiles not updating as long as notifications work well.

I will start him off fresh and do all the installs for him but keep a backup of his 8.1 for rollback.
    04-09-2016 12:31 PM
    I wouldn't...i couldn't get the 925 to work with mobile data while running Windows 10.
    04-14-2016 07:10 AM
    just tried to update my wife's 925 via Windows Insider app to production build W10 .164, but it seems this is not possible anymore. Downloaded the Insider app yesterday but it seems that this is a newer version as I was not able to select Fast / Slow / Production etc, with the app just stating that after checking there are no builds for this phone. Anyone an idea on how to solve this and get W10 .164 on the 925? Runs ok on my spare 920 which I updated a few weeks ago when this was still possible. Any other source for W10 .164, or for an earlier version of the Insider app? Thanks
    04-22-2016 03:24 AM
    just tried to update my wife's 925 via Windows Insider app to production build W10 .164, but it seems this is not possible anymore. Downloaded the Insider app yesterday but it seems that this is a newer version as I was not able to select Fast / Slow / Production etc, with the app just stating that after checking there are no builds for this phone. Anyone an idea on how to solve this and get W10 .164 on the 925? Runs ok on my spare 920 which I updated a few weeks ago when this was still possible. Any other source for W10 .164, or for an earlier version of the Insider app? Thanks
    Try again today, my friend had the same problem but now it started working. Try Preview Release.
    05-01-2016 03:23 AM