Is upgrading to Windows 10 legal for the Lumia 925

kasfig

Aug 21, 2018
Visit site
Dear colleagues
I have done the process to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 but because I understand this model was not "officially" upgradable I am worried that I might be inadvertently flouting the copyright law on this matter?

If anyone can kindly advise please I would be most grateful

Best wishes
Ian

kasfig

Aug 21, 2018
Visit site
Dear Xandros
Thank you so much for kindly re-assuring me about this. It's a relief.
Mind you, I would be glad to know whether technically its illegal and whether Microsoft would frown on persons doing this particular upgrade

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not illegal, nobody is going to bang down your door and honestly I'm sure Microsoft couldn't care less about a single user upgrading to 10. It's not like they're going to support you either way.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Isn't w10m free on less than 10 inch display device?

If so, you can load it on any such device if there's a way to do it.

kasfig

Aug 21, 2018
Visit site
I know they would never enforce it or take any action but I was interested to find out if possible whether it is in fact "technically" legal or illegal.

fin11

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
When wm10 was released you could update these x2x devices from 8.1 officially by joining the insider program. Microsoft removed this possibility in march 2016, but those who updated before that would still be on wm10 10586 build. Later Microsoft released a tool to officially update older phones from 8.1 to wm10, the Over The Cable (OTC) offline update tool that was updated in march this year. https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ad%2Fdetails.aspx%3Fid%3D56726&token=taQ6iixE I haven't tried it myself and dont know if it works on lumia 925 or if it only works on models officially supported for wm10. Not sure about the technical aspects, but I guess it means you will not be able to complain if your phone is "bricked" when updating it or if it doesn't work properly after update, since Microsoft doesn't support wm10 on this device anymore. Warranty will probably also be void after update, but none of these phones are under warranty anymore anyway.

kasfig

Aug 21, 2018
Visit site
Dear Fin
Thank you for kindly providing this supplementary background information
As regards the "over the cable" software, I have had a look at the page and notice two aspects of the matter:
1. Updates eligible Windows phones to the latest version of WIndows 10 Mobile
In this regard it doesn't specify which phones are eligible and which if any are not. Therefore the legalese language could well be described as "vague"
2. In the licence terms that are shown on the page; no mention is made of any specific phones not being eligible. Again it seems fairly open language. Therefore I would guess that in the event the "over the cable " method does work on whichever model one is trying to upgrade, that one might conscientiously consider no legal offence is caused.

Thank you .
Ian

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb