04-15-2013 02:20 PM
269 ... 891011
tools
    Its good to hear that its a nice device. Interested in the comments about it being high profile. I remember reading the articles about it being promoted heavily - but honestly, that has been said before with AT&T ... and it's not been the case. The Lumia 900 and 920 were pushed for a couple of months, but then there was a heavy drop off. I really hope it does well, but it will need to be $99 on contract at most, which I think is likely. If they could get it to free on contract, it would be killer. Microsoft really needs market share right now. It doesn't make sense for Nokia to take a bath on these devices, but Microsoft should work out some way to make the devices more attractive.

Some ideas:

Free xbox live gold for 24 months
    Free Office 365 subscription for 24 months

They need to do something to disrupt. Sure, they'd have to book the costs of giving that stuff away for free, but it wouldn't be more than 50 bucks a device based on the volume they expect to sell. If it is a wild success and they sell 10 million, it's only 500 million dollars, and honestly, it'd help Office 365 adoption and the market share gains are VERY important for Microsoft right now.
    moh maya likes this.
    04-13-2013 06:28 PM
    They might bring back the free game like they did with the Trophy. They may also do 3-12 months of Xbox Music for free. None of this will be at launch though. This stuff would come after sales have dropped off.

I'll keep on posting stuff like this but I've gotta be tight lipped about the device and the release date. Sorry. It really is a fantastic device though. You will all be happy.
    hopmedic likes this.
    04-13-2013 06:58 PM
    They might bring back the free game like they did with the Trophy. They may also do 3-12 months of Xbox Music for free. None of this will be at launch though. This stuff would come after sales have dropped off.

I'll keep on posting stuff like this but I've gotta be tight lipped about the device and the release date. Sorry. It really is a fantastic device though. You will all be happy.
    Judging by that last sentence it has 32GB of storage AND a MicroSD slot.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    04-13-2013 07:48 PM
    I like the idea of an SD card, but the quality control on those things seems sketchy at best. I've heard all sorts of stories of issues with bad SD cards. I think 32GB and an SD card makes sense. 32GB is enough for most people, but an SD card may be needed for some.
    04-13-2013 09:39 PM
    This is going to be my wife's first smart phone. She has been complaining about her phone and our point and shoot. Best of both worlds.

I have an upgrade I can use in July and I am not sure how I am going to handle my wife having this before me. I LOVE my 822 but my wife having better tech than me is not cool at all.
    04-13-2013 10:30 PM
    I wish they would hurry up and announce specs and a release date. Maybe even start pre-orders.
    04-13-2013 10:59 PM
    you've contributed more than your fair share to the WPC community. Have an awesome weekend!
    I dont think anyone can doubt everything you have shared with us! Thanks and appreciate it!!!
    04-14-2013 06:30 AM
    I hope this isnt US exclusive :( My GS2 is driving me nuts.
    The event on May 15th in London thats supposed to announce Catwalk....makes me think this is US only though - Nokia wouldnt do a global handset (even if it is only an update) then a full whack new phone a month later
    04-14-2013 07:08 AM
    I hope this isnt US exclusive :( My GS2 is driving me nuts.
    The event on May 15th in London thats supposed to announce Catwalk....makes me think this is US only though - Nokia wouldnt do a global handset (even if it is only an update) then a full whack new phone a month later
    IF nokia announce something at the event in May then it will be the Catwalk, which the majority of blog sites and others commenting on this agree will be a lighter and thinner version of the 920 akin to the 720 but made out of aluminum, which likely means it wont have the xenon flash either because of size/weight constraints...and may not have the Qi wireless charging - again for thickness constraints (i would be surprised if they dont do this).
    So, the Catwalk - which might be the 92x will be available outside of the US and then later in the US with TMo.

The EOS - with the Pureview technology adapted from the 808 and OIS from the 92x series devices will be announced later this year - at Nokia World whenever that happens... this is my opinion based on what i have read on sites... but this really is speculation as its too far out yet.
    04-14-2013 08:01 AM

always a pleasure, sir.
    04-14-2013 09:16 AM
    IF nokia announce something at the event in May then it will be the Catwalk, which the majority of blog sites and others commenting on this agree will be a lighter and thinner version of the 920 akin to the 720 but made out of aluminum, which likely means it wont have the xenon flash either because of size/weight constraints...and may not have the Qi wireless charging - again for thickness constraints (i would be surprised if they dont do this).
    So, the Catwalk - which might be the 92x will be available outside of the US and then later in the US with TMo.

The EOS - with the Pureview technology adapted from the 808 and OIS from the 92x series devices will be announced later this year - at Nokia World whenever that happens... this is my opinion based on what i have read on sites... but this really is speculation as its too far out yet.
    Still, would make very little business sense for Nokia to put the 928 into production, given a large chunk of the components are unique to the device, then only ship it to the US
    04-14-2013 09:57 AM
    The Z10 is the hold up
    Well the Z10 is out, do we start the offical count down? I am getting so anxious, I just want to know the SD slot yea or nay. Then I'll go 822 *sigh*
    04-14-2013 10:14 AM
    Well the Z10 is out, do we start the offical count down? I am getting so anxious, I just want to know the SD slot yea or nay. Then I'll go 822 *sigh*
    I don't think the 928 will have an SD slot, but there is also a return policy, so if you buy the 822 and the 928 gets announced and it has an SD card, you could return your 822 and get the 928.
    04-14-2013 10:17 AM
    Judging by that last sentence it has 32GB of storage AND a MicroSD slot.
    He's also said that is not the norm with devices, it's 16gb and a MicroSD slot OR a 32gb device but, by that last comment, we should be happy but, I am not getting my hopes up. 32gb and a MicroSD slot would fit my needs, 16gb and a slot does not solve my issue with apps, as we cant install apps to the MicroSD card with Windows Phone 8....
    04-14-2013 10:18 AM
    I don't think the 928 will have an SD slot, but there is also a return policy, so if you buy the 822 and the 928 gets announced and it has an SD card, you could return your 822 and get the 928.
    True, but I am a patient fellow...anxious and excited, but patient nonetheless, I play with the WP7.8 Trophy in the meantime.
    baaahthesheep likes this.
    04-14-2013 10:46 AM
    I am very impatient and want this phone now! I will have much more free time when I don't have to check these boards every hour for new rumors!
    rmichael75, dnlbntl and hopmedic like this.
    04-14-2013 10:56 AM
    If they get the pricing and promotion right, it could be big. The competition is extremely tough though:

iphone 5 or 5s - will do well no matter what, and a cheaper iphone will do extremely well.
    Galaxy S4 - will also do well no matter what
    HTC one - will be the best device that not enough people buy because they are busy buying an S4 or an iPhone
    Lumia 928 - really needs to go after a different buyer - one that doesn't want to spend as much upfront and will make some compromises. Nearly all the concerns I have with the 928's success are WP8 related. A good friend is looking for a new smartphone, and I just can't recommend Windows phone - I know they will not be happy.

Anyway - solid pricing and good promotion will be the key here in the USA. $99 or below is critical.
    04-14-2013 11:00 AM
    Still, would make very little business sense for Nokia to put the 928 into production, given a large chunk of the components are unique to the device, then only ship it to the US
    The 822 and 810 say hello.
    jmajid likes this.
    04-14-2013 11:17 AM
    a large "chunk" of the components as you call it,will be re-used...from the 920.
    Why wouldnt they do that? That is the business model they want to follow - design around components you know you can reuse.
    Screen, SOC, antenna components, memory, battery perhaps....
    04-14-2013 11:55 AM
    He's also said that is not the norm with devices, it's 16gb and a MicroSD slot OR a 32gb device but, by that last comment, we should be happy but, I am not getting my hopes up. 32gb and a MicroSD slot would fit my needs, 16gb and a slot does not solve my issue with apps, as we cant install apps to the MicroSD card with Windows Phone 8....
    OK, i'll bite... :) In good humor though...
    With 16GB to begin with , lets assume you get 12GB on device when you receive it AND it comes with the fabled SD card...
    Just how many apps do you plan on installing to the mass memory? What is the average downloaded and then installed size of apps?
    How many will you fit into 10GB+ ?
    again, in good humor, but a question to you, how many apps do you really use and need?
    04-14-2013 12:00 PM
    I'm sure its more a general statement that we'd be happy. Not that specifically those of us wanting SD were going to be happy.
    04-14-2013 12:58 PM

I have an upgrade I can use in July and I am not sure how I am going to handle my wife having this before me. I LOVE my 822 but my wife having better tech than me is not cool at all.
    Well, if your wife is happy then you are going to be at peace. It is worth more than anything:). Let her have all the tech, you have peace..:)
    04-14-2013 03:27 PM
    I'm sure its more a general statement that we'd be happy. Not that specifically those of us wanting SD were going to be happy.
    I speculate that since he said that we would all be happy that it would include a SD slot. There has been lots of talk about SD slots for this phone, so I believe that there is one.
    04-14-2013 03:31 PM
    I have no idea when it comes out but I've finally seen the phone at least. Its a beauty
    Soooo you saw the actual device or an actual photo?
    04-14-2013 05:41 PM
    The fact that he is saying this is a beauty makes me think that Verizon hasn't screwed this up. What is really exciting is that if he has seen it then we are probably a week or two away. I think we may be reading into what he said but this is a rumor board and that's what we do. I do think that it was a subtle message to the sd crowd but we shall see!
    04-14-2013 07:37 PM
269 ... 891011