04-15-2013 02:20 PM
269 12345 ...
tools
    They're saying it's going to be thicker than the 920? I can imagine a lot of people will be upset over that.
    Agreed, thin is in.... for reasons that completely escape me. Thin phones are not as comfortable in my hands - put a little junk in that trunk!
    Gungzwei and hopmedic like this.
    03-16-2013 12:27 AM
    I am doing the same. Nothing like Nokia Hardware. The best! I'm tired of the bad ear piece volume on the note 2.

I am probably dumping my Galaxy Note 2 for this phone. Nokia FTW!
    03-16-2013 04:03 AM
    I am doing the same. Nothing like Nokia Hardware. The best! I'm tired of the bad ear piece volume on the note 2.
    But, but I thought Samsung made quality devices. /sarcasm
    03-16-2013 07:23 AM
    They're saying it's going to be thicker than the 920? I can imagine a lot of people will be upset over that.

Catwalk seems to be answer to this. Though i doubt Verzon will get the phone.
    Last edited by tissotti; 03-16-2013 at 04:02 PM.
    03-16-2013 09:29 AM
    I have had a lot of lock up issuee with mine. I am kind of sick of the OS as well.
    03-16-2013 11:16 AM
    I hear its thinner and narrower than the 920.
    03-16-2013 12:07 PM
    does thinner and narrower equate to lighter too?
    I am NOT one of those people who thought the Lumia 920 was heavy - but I am a N8 and PureView 808 owner:)
    03-16-2013 03:30 PM
    does thinner and narrower equate to lighter too?
    I am NOT one of those people who thought the Lumia 920 was heavy - but I am a N8 and PureView 808 owner:)
    I'm hearing 9.7mm thick, and yes, the aluminum makes it lighter. About the same weight as the 8X. It will only be a tad narrower than the 920 though. Probably not even noticeable.
    jmajid likes this.
    03-16-2013 07:03 PM
    Let's keep things in perspective. 1mm is roughly 1/32 of an inch. So even with a phone that is roughly 3mm thinner, you are still talking less than 2/16, or 1/8 of an inch thickness difference. If the 928 is 11.3mm versus 10.7mm for the 920, I would have to say that it would be highly unlikely anyone could tell with your own hands since you are dealing with nearly 1/64th of an inch difference. Basically, we are dealing with ~3 sheets of quality copy paper. In my own personal opinion, when you start going under 8mm in thickness, I think you start running into issues with structural stability. The 920 is only 1.4mm thicker than an iPhone 4 and I can barely tell the difference between my wife's iPhone 4S and my 822 which is 11.2mm thick. Now, if the phone is 9.7mm, it's still likely not noticeable, and still not worth caring about, IMHO.

The fact that every iPhone I see has a case strapped to it, blowing its thickness right past my 822, while I don't feel the need for a case, kind of illustrates my point. A 928, assuming it has the same build, or better, as the 920, doesn't really need a case like an iPhone and other similarly thin Android sets (I never see S3's without a case - though I'm sure some use it without - while I generally see Lumias without cases). So...does moaning about ~half a mm really amount to anything?
    03-16-2013 10:25 PM
    Let's keep things in perspective. 1mm is roughly 1/32 of an inch. So even with a phone that is roughly 3mm thinner, you are still talking less than 2/16, or 1/8 of an inch thickness difference. If the 928 is 11.3mm versus 10.7mm for the 920, I would have to say that it would be highly unlikely anyone could tell with your own hands since you are dealing with nearly 1/64th of an inch difference. Basically, we are dealing with ~3 sheets of quality copy paper. In my own personal opinion, when you start going under 8mm in thickness, I think you start running into issues with structural stability. The 920 is only 1.4mm thicker than an iPhone 4 and I can barely tell the difference between my wife's iPhone 4S and my 822 which is 11.2mm thick. Now, if the phone is 9.7mm, it's still likely not noticeable, and still not worth caring about, IMHO.

The fact that every iPhone I see has a case strapped to it, blowing its thickness right past my 822, while I don't feel the need for a case, kind of illustrates my point. A 928, assuming it has the same build, or better, as the 920, doesn't really need a case like an iPhone and other similarly thin Android sets (I never see S3's without a case - though I'm sure some use it without - while I generally see Lumias without cases). So...does moaning about ~half a mm really amount to anything?
    That is excelling perspective on the whole thickness debate and I said similar things when people were complaining about how the 920 was too big for some people. Unfortunately many people in the tech world like to read off spec sheets instead of holding an actual device so they will still pan a new phone for being too chunky in their eyes.
    03-16-2013 11:36 PM
    Unfortunately many people in the tech world like to read off spec sheets instead of holding an actual device so they will still pan a new phone for being too chunky in their eyes.
    They do that for the camera and screen as well, and it drives me crazy.
    hopmedic likes this.
    03-16-2013 11:48 PM
    They do it for processor cores and RAM too even while admitting that on lower specs that use less power WP still runs better than high powered Android devices.
    hopmedic likes this.
    03-17-2013 11:44 AM
    They do it for processor cores and RAM too even while admitting that on lower specs that use less power WP still runs better than high powered Android devices.
    Truth^. My old tech Trophy is just as fast and fluid as the day I bought it and it's running a single core.

The whole spec thing is getting completely out of hand. At what point can the human eye differentiate 720 vs. 1080 on a 5" screen?
    ibbyj likes this.
    03-17-2013 02:09 PM
    Truth^. My old tech Trophy is just as fast and fluid as the day I bought it and it's running a single core.

The whole spec thing is getting completely out of hand. At what point can the human eye differentiate 720 vs. 1080 on a 5" screen?
    You can when the 1080 screen is craptastic PenTile ;)
    Dadstar0410 likes this.
    03-17-2013 02:48 PM
    They chose to switch to the aluminum to make it lighter (pro) but thebiggest issue with the aluminum is that it will scratch very easily (con)
    03-19-2013 12:44 PM
    They chose to switch to the aluminum to make it lighter (pro) but thebiggest issue with the aluminum is that it will scratch very easily (con)
    I would not be worried about that. The aluminium Symbian devices Nokia made (N8 + E7) were very durable despite them being aluminium. Keys or coins could not make scratches to my E7 even if I tried.
    03-19-2013 02:12 PM
    Do Verizon phones work on T-Mobile?
    Traditionally cdma carrier phones are not compatible with gsm carrier devices. so verizon and sprint phones never worked with att and tmobile phones.

However... someone on WP central stated that most newer LTE Verizon phones were coming unlocked, and that the 8x on Verizon also had a SIM card tray. I went to the Microsoft store yesterday and the associate confirmed it and showed me the SIM card tray. So, I plan on trying out the new Verizon Nokia flagship with a mobile SIM card and see how it goes. Of course I'll probably have to configure things like mms settings but its worth giving it a shot if the new 928 will have a SIM card like the 8x does. :)
    03-19-2013 03:10 PM
    Traditionally cdma carrier phones are not compatible with gsm carrier devices. so verizon and sprint phones never worked with att and tmobile phones.

However... someone on WP central stated that most newer LTE Verizon phones were coming unlocked, and that the 8x on Verizon also had a SIM card tray. I went to the Microsoft store yesterday and the associate confirmed it and showed me the SIM card tray. So, I plan on trying out the new Verizon Nokia flagship with a mobile SIM card and see how it goes. Of course I'll probably have to configure things like mms settings but its worth giving it a shot if the new 928 will have a SIM card like the 8x does. :)
    The SIM card is for LTE and not the 3G (which most of the voice still travels over), the 3G for voice still uses the DIN or EIDEN or what ever the heck it is. (too many acronyms to remember in my moderate age). AFAIK. I could be wrong it happens often.
    03-19-2013 03:58 PM
    The SIM card is for LTE and not the 3G (which most of the voice still travels over), the 3G for voice still uses the DIN or EIDEN or what ever the heck it is. (too many acronyms to remember in my moderate age). AFAIK. I could be wrong it happens often.
    There is a thread floating around here where someone mentioned that they were using a Verizon 8x on T-Mobile. Let me see if I can find it and I'll supply the link. Un momento :)

I couldn't find the exact one, but someone commented on this thread

"If you've been following high end smartphones at all lately on Verizon, they are all 'world phones' coming with the SIM slot factory unlocked - meaning that you absolutely CAN stick in your GSM SIM card (cut to the right size but dollars to donuts it will be microSIM) and the phone will function just fine."

Also the post below me also states something similar.
    Last edited by peacefulberry; 03-19-2013 at 04:47 PM.
    03-19-2013 04:10 PM
    New Verizon phones use the SIM card just like a GSM phone does. When I upgraded my sister and mom's phones (to 822s) the numbers got set up on the wrong phones. All we had to do to fix it was swap the SIM cards and it switched their numbers. I love that Verizon is all aboard with SIM cards now.
    03-19-2013 04:26 PM
    The SIM cards are there because of LTE which is GSM based. All Verizon smartphones have GSM radios in them. My Trophy is a world phone with a GSM & CDMA radio but no SIM card. Verizon hopes to use LTE for data & voice on all its smartphones by the end of 2014.
    03-20-2013 03:24 AM
    wow. I thought I was the only one with this issue. It's so hard to hear people sometimes. I am so excited for the Lumia 928.
    03-20-2013 04:37 AM
    Looking to jump ship from 'ole T-Mo in April or May. We've been favoring AT&T because of their support of Windows Phone, but this could shift the balance to Verizon. Both have about the same coverage out here in Phoenix, so it may just come down to who has the best phone deal in the next 6-10 weeks.

I surely hope they wouldn't downgrade it to only 16GB internal memory from the 920's 32. My wife and I are still using our T-Mo HD7's (7.8), but at 2 years old, they are starting to freeze up on a weekly basis. They've been great phones though. Just hate the data performance on T-Mo.
    if u upgrade your device on mobile your speeds will improve. Hd7 is 3G only
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express
    03-20-2013 05:33 AM
    Thanks guys, news to me... Pretty cool, surprising for VZ, but cool none the less.
    03-20-2013 11:02 AM
    In the pictures that have been posted, I wonder if anyone has them with the EXIF intact? I'm curious about the ISO settings. On the motorcycle ones it was ISO800, which explained the grain. I'd like to see the full data on the beach and theme park shots.
    03-20-2013 11:18 AM
269 12345 ...