04-15-2013 02:20 PM
269 ... 56789 ...
tools
    04-05-2013 10:34 PM
    This needs to come out very soon so I can figure what to do. I pretty much like my 822 experience, but dropping the red color, makes me rethink using my upgrade on a new one, as opposed to keeping my used white one and then getting a 928. Colors and pricing will be key, especially if a cyan 822 comes out as Honestabebread stated. Come on Verizon...hurry up and out this thing!
    04-05-2013 10:45 PM
    I sure hope it releases with all colors available like the 920. I can't tell you how sexy this red 920 that I have in my possession is. It's soooo gorgeous.
    04-05-2013 10:49 PM
    720 look-alike
    04-05-2013 10:50 PM
    Well EV Leaks has outed some press photos. Looks like the 920 except with a Xenon flash and its a bit narrower. You can also see that its more curved like the 720.

Told ya so ;-)
    Looks like there's also a little mic hole at the bottom, a speaker(?) grill on the back and the Nokia logo is on the wrong side!
    04-05-2013 11:04 PM
    Just compared the dimensions from the leaked photo to the dimensions from the FCC filings and they pretty much match up! I had to crop and and then scale the image to verify this.

untitled121.jpg
    04-05-2013 11:06 PM
    It will be a nice lil touch if and when Nokia/MS get rid of those corny carrier logo's. They kill a good design with all that branding.
    04-05-2013 11:28 PM
    It will be a nice lil touch if and when Nokia/MS get rid of those corny carrier logo's. They kill a good design with all that branding.
    Never going to happen. Especially with Verizon as they seem to be getting worse about it (have a look at the Note 2). They want everyone to know from every angle that you're using a phone on Verizon's network.
    04-06-2013 07:54 AM
    Yea.. ATT does it too..
    04-06-2013 09:20 AM
    Hopefully next we will find out about the specs. Does it have micro sd? Memory etc.
    04-06-2013 09:55 AM
    looks like no notification light :/
    04-06-2013 10:07 AM
    Things must be quiet at Android Central these days huh?
    04-06-2013 01:26 PM
    I heard from @nokiapureview that it may have an aluminum base and just be coated with the polycarbonate.
    04-06-2013 07:40 PM
    I heard from @nokiapureview that it may have an aluminum base and just be coated with the polycarbonate.
    Stupidist idea ever. Poly is stronger than aluminium (youtube drop tests prove it). If that was ever to happen it would be poly with ali coating...but that would be too expensive.
    04-07-2013 07:14 AM
    and according to my other thread, @nokiapureview is just a guy on the internet. Daniel said he will post anything he sees with out confirming anything. Take it with a grain of salt... He is NOT part of Nokia, just a fan boy...

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...ml#post1925031
    04-07-2013 08:27 AM
    Stupidist idea ever. Poly is stronger than aluminium (youtube drop tests prove it). If that was ever to happen it would be poly with ali coating...but that would be too expensive.
    Coating harder material with aluminium... that makes sense.

I do really hope Catwalk will be aluminium like rumored. I'm more of a fan of metallic phones and one of the most rugged phones I have ever owned was all aluminium Nokia N8 back in the day.

Also i'm just as interested on what design Nokia goes for its global high ends next. All of the variations of the global phones are boring looking at best imo. Be it variations of Lumia 820 or Lumia 920.
    04-07-2013 08:37 AM
    YouTube drop test. Sounds pretty scientific. Maybe we should start building aircraft out of polycarbonate then?
    themkaufman likes this.
    04-07-2013 09:56 AM
    YouTube drop test. Sounds pretty scientific. Maybe we should start building aircraft out of polycarbonate then?
    They are pretty scientific. Its not rocket science its dropping a phone onto a hard surface....Every lumia has survived without barely a scratch from higher heights. HTC One and other ali phones dent very easily. Ali is only stronger when its made to be damn thick, which on phones it often isnt.
    04-07-2013 01:08 PM
    Also.....plastic planes are actually a thing :D
    04-07-2013 01:09 PM
    Also.....plastic planes are actually a thing :D
    plastic, when used in planes, is usually reinforced with fibers of glass or carbon.
    04-07-2013 02:50 PM
    They are pretty scientific. Its not rocket science its dropping a phone onto a hard surface....Every lumia has survived without barely a scratch from higher heights. HTC One and other ali phones dent very easily. Ali is only stronger when its made to be damn thick, which on phones it often isnt.
    you're talking about the strength of a system, not a material.
    04-07-2013 02:51 PM
    you're talking about the strength of a system, not a material.
    Lol im not trying to argue with you here mate, fact still remains a layered ali+poly shell is just not cost effective for a phone. Different parts of it yes, such as the battery cover being plastic and rest of body ali. Although I wouldnt expect it on a unibody design.

Also.....strength of system...not sure what your getting at, I meant poly tends to survive falls with less damage than aluminium
    04-07-2013 04:57 PM
    Lol im not trying to argue with you here mate, fact still remains a layered ali+poly shell is just not cost effective for a phone.

Also.....strength of system...not sure what your getting at, I meant poly tends to survive falls with less damage than aluminium
    I agree that Al+poly does not make a lot of sense. By system, I mean the unit as a whole, comprising the screen, glass and all innards which serve as reinforcement. If you are specifically referring to scratch resistance, bare aluminum does scratch easily, which is why it is usually anodized. Plastic is nice to use because it is cheaper in bulk and to process. You can easily make a mold featuring "ribs" to reinforce the structure and scale up production. Stamping such features out of aluminum is not really feasible; machining and casting is much more expensive. Usually aluminum on phones is used in thin stamped sheets and clear coated or cheaply anodized (see iPhone 5). So there's clearly a trade here. But as a bulk material, aluminum is stronger than polycarbonate. No point in making an issue out of it, that's the MechE's job. I apologize for the tangent; not trying to argue.
    diego15nets likes this.
    04-08-2013 08:40 AM
    I agree that Al+poly does not make a lot of sense. By system, I mean the unit as a whole, comprising the screen, glass and all innards which serve as reinforcement. If you are specifically referring to scratch resistance, bare aluminum does scratch easily, which is why it is usually anodized. Plastic is nice to use because it is cheaper in bulk and to process. You can easily make a mold featuring "ribs" to reinforce the structure and scale up production. Stamping such features out of aluminum is not really feasible; machining and casting is much more expensive. Usually aluminum on phones is used in thin stamped sheets and clear coated or cheaply anodized (see iPhone 5). So there's clearly a trade here. But as a bulk material, aluminum is stronger than polycarbonate. No point in making an issue out of it, that's the MechE's job. I apologize for the tangent; not trying to argue.
    MechE here....there are so many misinformed statements here, let's just stop. Generally aluminum is anodized because bare aluminum looks bad, (though some anodization can protect against scratching the main purpose is for cosmetics). As for the internal features being difficult to manufacture, that is really not the reason Aluminum is rarely used as full phone bodies. Overmolding plastic is common and so is die-casting which can create features similar to plastic. The real reason aluminum (or any other metal) is difficult to use as a body has to do with the antennas we have in modern smartphones, generally speaking a metal back cover will block signals.

Moving away from the plastic/metal debate....how about that xenon flash!
    diego15nets likes this.
    04-08-2013 11:03 AM
    how about that xenon flash!
    Literally the only reason I'm waiting for it. Mainly use the camera on my phone on nights out, whilst the low light performance on the 920 is good, it still will be much better with a xenon
    04-08-2013 06:55 PM
269 ... 56789 ...