Nokia Lumia 928 with PureView camera and aluminum body

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
@woodbane Thanks for the info and the post. I too am a gsm carrier customer (ATT) but travel outside of the US frequently. I want a phone i can use when i travel and have always purchased my phones outright...but if Verizon have a device that turns out to be something i want from the camera side, then i have no qualms about moving from ATT to Verizon and using the phone with Verison when in the US and using my other SIMs when in other countries.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Actually I agree with cckgz4 . If you've been following high end smartphones at all lately on Verizon, they are all 'world phones' coming with the SIM slot factory unlocked - meaning that you absolutely CAN stick in your GSM SIM card (cut to the right size but dollars to donuts it will be microSIM) and the phone will function just fine. SIM card cutters are like $9 on eBay.

This is an agreement they had to sign up to with the FCC when they purchased the 700MHz(c) LTE band - they are not allowed to SIM lock their devices.

Here's the actual text according to the FCC's CFR Title 47 Part 27.16 paragraph (e):

(e) Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b) of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks.

Believe it or not it was GOOGLE of all people that pressured the FCC in to making this a requirement! Guess we have them to thank for that then eh? (Never thought I'd be uttering those words.....)

Also - given Nokia's long history of making 'world' phones I would say there's every likliehood this will support four of the major 3G bands for the SIM slot (pentaband is still rare as I believe there's one 3G frequencey that's only used somewhere in APAC). Most of the Nokia handsets I've come across support 850/900/1900/2100Mhz 3G bands meaning they will work in the US and Europe. LTE obviously won't work - different radio technology.

I don't see how this would in any way void any warranty or carrier restriction - particularly if you buy the phone outright as you then own it outright (i.e. not tied to a contract sue to subsidized handset). You're not circumventing anything at all to do this, merely putting in a GSM SIM card. And it's been well evidenced in the 920 forum that those people running the 920 on Straight Talk or other MVNO's have received the latest Portico update just as if they were on a mainstream carrier.

Sorry to trash your post but I think you're just factually incorrect.

I for one, will be seriously looking at this handset when it's released as my potential next and I'm currently on Straight Talk.

Interesting! Wasn't aware of that change - I guess the aggravation of trying to get my "unlocked" Verizon iPhone 4S running on AT&T prior to getting the 920 was still kind of fresh in my mind. Glad to know that changed - that's the way it should always have been.

Guess I'll have to revise my post:
31564022.jpg

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
interesting! Wasn't aware of that change - i guess the aggravation of trying to get my "unlocked" verizon iphone 4s running on at&t prior to getting the 920 was still kind of fresh in my mind. Glad to know that changed - that's the way it should always have been.

absolutely!

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I wish some pictures of the actual phone would leak. I want to see what it looks like.

NokiaPowerUser has some measurements from the FCC filing, but it's hard to tell if the measurements have much to do with the case dimensions or if they are ONLY related to antennae spacings within the device.

Lumia 928 to be taller and less wider than Lumia 920. So, what design language fits this description? | Nokiapoweruser

This one compares Lumia 920 and Lumia 928 FCC dimensions. They seem to be the phone dimensions, not boards or something internal.
Lumia 928 dimensions revealed on a FCC filling. Narrower than Lumia 920 | nokiagadgets.com

pavlovscow

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm. Well it looks like its visual cues are coming from the 822. Has the larger chin and similar taper. Don't mind my 822, but it isn't the most fashion forward. I hope it isn't bulky like the 822. And gets an aluminum body.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
does thinner and narrower equate to lighter too?
I am NOT one of those people who thought the Lumia 920 was heavy - but I am a N8 and PureView 808 owner:)

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
does thinner and narrower equate to lighter too?
I am NOT one of those people who thought the Lumia 920 was heavy - but I am a N8 and PureView 808 owner:)

I'm hearing 9.7mm thick, and yes, the aluminum makes it lighter. About the same weight as the 8X. It will only be a tad narrower than the 920 though. Probably not even noticeable.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Let's keep things in perspective. 1mm is roughly 1/32 of an inch. So even with a phone that is roughly 3mm thinner, you are still talking less than 2/16, or 1/8 of an inch thickness difference. If the 928 is 11.3mm versus 10.7mm for the 920, I would have to say that it would be highly unlikely anyone could tell with your own hands since you are dealing with nearly 1/64th of an inch difference. Basically, we are dealing with ~3 sheets of quality copy paper. In my own personal opinion, when you start going under 8mm in thickness, I think you start running into issues with structural stability. The 920 is only 1.4mm thicker than an iPhone 4 and I can barely tell the difference between my wife's iPhone 4S and my 822 which is 11.2mm thick. Now, if the phone is 9.7mm, it's still likely not noticeable, and still not worth caring about, IMHO.

The fact that every iPhone I see has a case strapped to it, blowing its thickness right past my 822, while I don't feel the need for a case, kind of illustrates my point. A 928, assuming it has the same build, or better, as the 920, doesn't really need a case like an iPhone and other similarly thin Android sets (I never see S3's without a case - though I'm sure some use it without - while I generally see Lumias without cases). So...does moaning about ~half a mm really amount to anything?

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Let's keep things in perspective. 1mm is roughly 1/32 of an inch. So even with a phone that is roughly 3mm thinner, you are still talking less than 2/16, or 1/8 of an inch thickness difference. If the 928 is 11.3mm versus 10.7mm for the 920, I would have to say that it would be highly unlikely anyone could tell with your own hands since you are dealing with nearly 1/64th of an inch difference. Basically, we are dealing with ~3 sheets of quality copy paper. In my own personal opinion, when you start going under 8mm in thickness, I think you start running into issues with structural stability. The 920 is only 1.4mm thicker than an iPhone 4 and I can barely tell the difference between my wife's iPhone 4S and my 822 which is 11.2mm thick. Now, if the phone is 9.7mm, it's still likely not noticeable, and still not worth caring about, IMHO.

The fact that every iPhone I see has a case strapped to it, blowing its thickness right past my 822, while I don't feel the need for a case, kind of illustrates my point. A 928, assuming it has the same build, or better, as the 920, doesn't really need a case like an iPhone and other similarly thin Android sets (I never see S3's without a case - though I'm sure some use it without - while I generally see Lumias without cases). So...does moaning about ~half a mm really amount to anything?

That is excelling perspective on the whole thickness debate and I said similar things when people were complaining about how the 920 was too big for some people. Unfortunately many people in the tech world like to read off spec sheets instead of holding an actual device so they will still pan a new phone for being too chunky in their eyes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos