Nokia Lumia 928 with PureView camera and aluminum body

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
i take it you are in the supply chain field? not too many people think that way unless they are in supply chain

No I'm in IT, but, been following this type of stuff for years and even with Video games it's the same thing. If you think about it, unless there is going to be a big delay and a later release (we have no proof that the phone is even real right now besides rumor and a phone that passed through the FCC), they would be making them if not already shipping them to the carriers now. they would have to be if it was a planned release for this month sometime...

This kind of thinking can be applied on so many levels in so many other fields.

The other thing is that with Just In Time processes and capabilities, this may NOT always be the case. Some industries only keep 24 hours worth of materials on hand to reduce the amount of storage space on the production site. Space=money.

Right but, knowing a company like Verizon, they would keep them in a warehouse to pass them to the stores as needed or for release. If Verizon does not have them, they will have them soon. The thing is, Nokia has them built, in boxes ready to go by now as they could never make a release of this month if they were not.

This still does not solve the problem or answer any questions, What is this phone ? What is it's true specs ? and WHEN will it be released ?

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I really hope it doesn't have a 12MP camera - that's such a step in the wrong direction. Low light and image quality will suffer yet again at the hands of the marketers that just don't know when to stop beating a dead horse.

Nokia N8 (12MP) and 808 PureView (41MP) take better pictures than Lumia 920.

You can't really say anything out of MP count alone, positive or negative. Sure, 2MP is probably not sufficient enough for the size of PC monitors we are watching these pics, but other than that.

This will blow your mind a little but, think about it. This phone is scheduled for a release this month sometime, according to all the rumors. Know what that means ? Someplace in the world, there is a bunch of pallets loaded with the Lumia 928 in brand new boxes ready to ship. There are hundreds if not thousands of them waiting to ship, if not already in Verizon's warehouses....<mind blown>

And we still dont know anything about this phone yet...ugh

True, though it being only manufactured for Verizon could be part of the reason for no leaks. Actually i'm pretty sure that is the reason.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
No I'm in IT, but, been following this type of stuff for years and even with Video games it's the same thing. If you think about it, unless there is going to be a big delay and a later release (we have no proof that the phone is even real right now besides rumor and a phone that passed through the FCC), they would be making them if not already shipping them to the carriers now. they would have to be if it was a planned release for this month sometime...

Right but, knowing a company like Verizon, they would keep them in a warehouse to pass them to the stores as needed or for release. If Verizon does not have them, they will have them soon. The thing is, Nokia has them built, in boxes ready to go by now as they could never make a release of this month if they were not.

This still does not solve the problem or answer any questions, What is this phone ? What is it's true specs ? and WHEN will it be released ?

Why am I thinking about a crowdsourced movement along the lines of "Free the 928's!!!" that would brak them out of their warehouse prisons? ;-)

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nokia N8 (12MP) and 808 PureView (41MP) take better pictures than Lumia 920.
You can't really say anything out of MP count alone, positive or negative. Sure, 2MP is probably not sufficient enough for the size of PC monitors we are watching these pics, but other than that.

You're right, but both of those phones have larger sensors afforded by a fat form factor. The 928 is supposedly even thinner than the 920, so I'm not getting my hopes up for a major breakthrough in sensor tech for it. I'm thinking the sensor will just be the same size but packed more densely with pixels, which makes for worse results. Maybe the processing will be better on the back-end which will help clean up the noise this is going to introduce, but think of what they could do if they didn't have to keep upping the MP count just to put a bigger number on the box.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
So according to Tom Warren the 928 and Catwalk are different and they will have different bodies + different cameras.

It sounds like the T-Mo version will be neutered :unhappy:

Traldera

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
The take away message is a new high end device with a global (US and EU) launch will be next month. Whether its 928 or catwalk is irrelevant given the rumours about the two devices have been so mixed up over the last 2 months most sites think they are the same thing (920 with ali body, card reader, AMOLED, improved camera)

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
So according to Tom Warren the 928 and Catwalk are different and they will have different bodies + different cameras.

It sounds like the T-Mo version will be neutered :unhappy:

Why so?
Catwalk is the global version and should be the last to be neutered. Same with Lumia 820 and its variants.

If anything to me it feels like Lumia 928 is more of a Lumia 920 variant and Catwalk will introduce new aluminium design from Nokia. Though like Traldera said, there's so much of overlapping info from "insiders" here in forum and elsewhere that who really knows.

baaahthesheep

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Just thought this was interesting to note, but if you look at the leaked picture of the Verizon inventory listing the white, black, and red 822s, and a 928, the dates listed for the 822s are a little less than three months before the release dates. If the 928 follows suit, it should be out in a week or two maybe...which doesn't really change anything. Nothing concrete too...just thought it was neat observation.

benrp

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Just a thought, shouldn't the next major update be the 930, to keep with the naming pattern of Flagships. Calling a completely new flagship the 928 doesn't make much sense, sounds like a carrier variant to me.

Mirtas

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Just a thought, shouldn't the next major update be the 930, to keep with the naming pattern of Flagships. Calling a completely new flagship the 928 doesn't make much sense, sounds like a carrier variant to me.

Probably is. It is the 920 version for Verizon and it will probably have some minor improvements over the 920, but the major improvement will be with the 93x.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
You: I am looking to move from TMo to Verizon

Travis: Awesome!

You: but am waiting for the Nokia Lumia 928 to arrive at Verizon

You: A rep in a Verizon store said it would be arriving in April

You: My current phone needs to be replaced badly and I am wondering if I can hold out for the 928 or go to ATT and the Lumia 920

Travis: Alright. We currently don't have information of when exactly it will arrive.

waym1962

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I asked Tom warren on twitter whether info on catwalk and 928 would come at the same time and if it'd be smart for people on Verizon to wait. He responded saying

"well Catwalk isn't coming to Verizon. The 928 is a separate device, almost identical to 920"

He also previously said that catwalk isn't coming to AT&T while seeming to hint it'd be a carrier exclusive in the US.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I asked Tom warren on twitter whether info on catwalk and 928 would come at the same time and if it'd be smart for people on Verizon to wait. He responded saying

"well Catwalk isn't coming to Verizon. The 928 is a separate device, almost identical to 920"

He also previously said that catwalk isn't coming to AT&T while seeming to hint it'd be a carrier exclusive in the US.

please let that be t-mobile's exclusive

waym1962

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I hope it would be for T-Mobile if Verizon and AT&T aren't getting it. I don't think Sprint deserves a Nokia exclusive before T-Mobile after their attitude towards WP8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs