Nokia Lumia 928 with PureView camera and aluminum body

Traldera

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I heard from @nokiapureview that it may have an aluminum base and just be coated with the polycarbonate.

Stupidist idea ever. Poly is stronger than aluminium (youtube drop tests prove it). If that was ever to happen it would be poly with ali coating...but that would be too expensive.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Stupidist idea ever. Poly is stronger than aluminium (youtube drop tests prove it). If that was ever to happen it would be poly with ali coating...but that would be too expensive.
Coating harder material with aluminium... that makes sense.

I do really hope Catwalk will be aluminium like rumored. I'm more of a fan of metallic phones and one of the most rugged phones I have ever owned was all aluminium Nokia N8 back in the day.

Also i'm just as interested on what design Nokia goes for its global high ends next. All of the variations of the global phones are boring looking at best imo. Be it variations of Lumia 820 or Lumia 920.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

YouTube drop test. Sounds pretty scientific. Maybe we should start building aircraft out of polycarbonate then?

Traldera

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
YouTube drop test. Sounds pretty scientific. Maybe we should start building aircraft out of polycarbonate then?

They are pretty scientific. Its not rocket science its dropping a phone onto a hard surface....Every lumia has survived without barely a scratch from higher heights. HTC One and other ali phones dent very easily. Ali is only stronger when its made to be damn thick, which on phones it often isnt.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
They are pretty scientific. Its not rocket science its dropping a phone onto a hard surface....Every lumia has survived without barely a scratch from higher heights. HTC One and other ali phones dent very easily. Ali is only stronger when its made to be damn thick, which on phones it often isnt.

you're talking about the strength of a system, not a material.

Traldera

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
you're talking about the strength of a system, not a material.

Lol im not trying to argue with you here mate, fact still remains a layered ali+poly shell is just not cost effective for a phone. Different parts of it yes, such as the battery cover being plastic and rest of body ali. Although I wouldnt expect it on a unibody design.

Also.....strength of system...not sure what your getting at, I meant poly tends to survive falls with less damage than aluminium

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Lol im not trying to argue with you here mate, fact still remains a layered ali+poly shell is just not cost effective for a phone.

Also.....strength of system...not sure what your getting at, I meant poly tends to survive falls with less damage than aluminium

I agree that Al+poly does not make a lot of sense. By system, I mean the unit as a whole, comprising the screen, glass and all innards which serve as reinforcement. If you are specifically referring to scratch resistance, bare aluminum does scratch easily, which is why it is usually anodized. Plastic is nice to use because it is cheaper in bulk and to process. You can easily make a mold featuring "ribs" to reinforce the structure and scale up production. Stamping such features out of aluminum is not really feasible; machining and casting is much more expensive. Usually aluminum on phones is used in thin stamped sheets and clear coated or cheaply anodized (see iPhone 5). So there's clearly a trade here. But as a bulk material, aluminum is stronger than polycarbonate. No point in making an issue out of it, that's the MechE's job. I apologize for the tangent; not trying to argue.

EDMmmmmmm

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I agree that Al+poly does not make a lot of sense. By system, I mean the unit as a whole, comprising the screen, glass and all innards which serve as reinforcement. If you are specifically referring to scratch resistance, bare aluminum does scratch easily, which is why it is usually anodized. Plastic is nice to use because it is cheaper in bulk and to process. You can easily make a mold featuring "ribs" to reinforce the structure and scale up production. Stamping such features out of aluminum is not really feasible; machining and casting is much more expensive. Usually aluminum on phones is used in thin stamped sheets and clear coated or cheaply anodized (see iPhone 5). So there's clearly a trade here. But as a bulk material, aluminum is stronger than polycarbonate. No point in making an issue out of it, that's the MechE's job. I apologize for the tangent; not trying to argue.

MechE here....there are so many misinformed statements here, let's just stop. Generally aluminum is anodized because bare aluminum looks bad, (though some anodization can protect against scratching the main purpose is for cosmetics). As for the internal features being difficult to manufacture, that is really not the reason Aluminum is rarely used as full phone bodies. Overmolding plastic is common and so is die-casting which can create features similar to plastic. The real reason aluminum (or any other metal) is difficult to use as a body has to do with the antennas we have in modern smartphones, generally speaking a metal back cover will block signals.

Moving away from the plastic/metal debate....how about that xenon flash!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs