Nokia Lumia 928 has a MicroSD slot, newer CPU and release

locokip

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
And I was getting all excited until Daniel had to ruin all the fun. Oh well, I still hope this sucker gets released in a few weeks and there's a decent incentive pricing to get folks to port over to WP.

Mirtas

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Why would a newer CPU matter, unless it's more battery efficient? I've yet to run anything on my 920 and think "gee, I wish this was faster".

Because people buy a phone that lasts 18 to 24 months. A Q1-2012 CPU is great for now, but how will it perform in 12 months or in 18 months?

When paying a premium price, you want the best for your money. When there are phones out there with Q4-2012 CPU and GPU and even Q1-2013 CPU and GPU that are 2x as fast (even if you don't need it now) for the same price. It is a bummer.

2 Years ago a lot of people, including myself, said "Who needs more than 8GB storage" and back then I was only using 2.4GB and 8GB seemed a lot. The more pictures I take, the more video I shoot, the more offline navigation I use, the more space is needed. I am now using 7.4GB.

Plus, from a marketing perspective it would be better to have a newer CPU+GPU.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Specs only matter to android users. Because the OS is so buggy, they think faster processor etc will make it run better.

But 8 cores and 16gb of memory, the phone will run just as sluggish because that's how the OS is. It's not optimized. Its so fragmented .

I remember a friend once told me his bb10 is better than my Lumia because it has more memory. Its just how people think these days that more is better.

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Specs only matter to android users. Because the OS is so buggy, they think faster processor etc will make it run better.

But 8 cores and 16gb of memory, the phone will run just as sluggish because that's how the OS is. It's not optimized. Its so fragmented .

I remember a friend once told me his bb10 is better than my Lumia because it has more memory. Its just how people think these days that more is better.

a windows phone with a quad core processor and 2GB would strike my fancy.

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site

My friend is a computer science student, he once told me never look at quantity these days, look for quality.

I bet anyone of you that my lumia 920 can outperform SGS4 when both are fully loaded with apps/games, you guys haven't seen the amount of ram android apps reserve.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Because people buy a phone that lasts 18 to 24 months. A Q1-2012 CPU is great for now, but how will it perform in 12 months or in 18 months?

It'll be great then, too - these are phone apps it's running, not Crysis or Maya. It's only the very specialized apps that are written to take advantage of a fast CPU. If a dev really wants to sell an app, they make it run just fine on a two-year old processor, because that's the lifespan of an average carrier contract and the goal is to get it on as many handsets as possible. If you're doing something that's taxing the processor on your phone that much, you should probably consider a laptop for that task.

2 Years ago a lot of people, including myself, said "Who needs more than 8GB storage" and back then I was only using 2.4GB and 8GB seemed a lot. The more pictures I take, the more video I shoot, the more offline navigation I use, the more space is needed. I am now using 7.4GB.

Storage is something else entirely, and that's heavily user-controlled, whereas CPU usage is entirely dev-controlled. Storage is a spec that's worth advertising for a phone, like screen size, and it's something that should influence a decision to get one phone over another. CPU is not.

That's probably the only reason. It's distracting and annoying like the megapixel spec, but you're right, it probably helps sell more phones.

Ron Penton

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

When paying a premium price, you want the best for your money. When there are phones out there with Q4-2012 CPU and GPU and even Q1-2013 CPU and GPU that are 2x as fast (even if you don't need it now) for the same price. It is a bummer.

Three years ago I owned a Zune 64gb, and wondered why none of these newfangled "smart"phones couldn't store anywhere near as much. I still don't own one because my Zune now has 56 gigs filled with music, and there's no way any current phone can match that.

On the other hand, my cell phone is now 8 years old and still to this day runs everything I need it to, and still lasts 7 days per charge (20 days per charge when I first bought it).

CPU+GPU upgrades don't provide anything useful to me, and increasing them decreases the battery life dramatically. On the other hand, I *would* buy a phone that lasted a week per charge like my Zune does and has 64gb of storage just so I wouldn't have to carry 2 devices around. Because that's what I need, and it boggles my mind that anyone actually cares about CPU speed on phones when they run just fine as it is, and have for a long time.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Will the 928 have a removable battery? Permanent batteries are a deal breaker for me.
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My guess would be hardware taxing games that hopefully come out over the next 2 years.

By the time that's an issue, gaming phones will cost $200 off-contract and displace devices like the Vita. Maybe then, they can compete on HW specs. Right now, phones are too expensive and general-purpose for that.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

WP8 and its app model are designed and spec'ed to run efficiently and deterministically with limited resources, the most important of those resources being RAM. As a result, even if a WP8 device had 128GB of RAM, WP8 would never use more than 1GB of that amount. Likewise, having 2GB of RAM would achieve/improve absolutely nothing. RAM utilization won't change until WP9. For all these reasons, wanting 2GB on WP8 is rather ridiculous.

Not quite as ridiculous, at least in theory, is the desire for a quad core CPU. The misunderstanding here is, as always, that more cores=faster. We've already seen dual core CPUs blow quads out of the water (last years snapdragons) but apparently, people prefer the simple spec sheet numbers over actual benchmarks. Fancy faster CPUs, not more cores, otherwise your just following the carrot that marketing departments dangle infront of those that don't actually understand CPU tech.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

It will perform just as well as it does now! The largest WP8 market will be 620's and 520's, even a year from now. That is what ALL professional devs will target. One year from now, you won't find a single app that performs poorly on today's WP8 devices. That is one of the benefits of standardizing the WP8 hardware/software platform.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
WP8 and its app model are designed and spec'ed to run efficiently and deterministically with limited resources, the most important of those resources being RAM. As a result, even if a WP8 device had 128GB of RAM, WP8 would never use more than 1GB of that amount. Likewise, having 2GB of RAM would achieve/improve absolutely nothing. RAM utilization won't change until WP9. For all these reasons, wanting 2GB on WP8 is rather ridiculous.

Not quite as ridiculous, at least in theory, is the desire for a quad core CPU. The misunderstanding here is, as always, that more cores=faster. We've already seen dual core CPUs blow quads out of the water (last years snapdragons) but apparently, people prefer the simple spec sheet numbers over actual benchmarks. Fancy faster CPUs, not more cores, otherwise your just following the carrot that marketing departments dangle infront of those that don't actually understand CPU tech.

More CPU cores = faster video processing in Premiere Pro and After Effects because it can render multiple frames simultaneously. You have to have enough RAM per core to make this run as efficiently as possible, though, so 2GB isn't going to cut it - you really want at least 8 dedicated (2GB/core), though 16 (4/core) would probably be ideal. Of course this is meaningless unless you have a fast enough disk array to keep up with it, so we should really make sure to put a 900MB/s+ RAID in there as well, and make sure the bus is fast enough to support it. A 5lb phone that's 8.5"X11"x1" may _seem_ unreasonable, but Samsung will probably release one soon if they keep up on their current path.

Leonard Alfred

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
The lack of a MicroSD for the Lumia 920 is due to the unibody construction. They (Nokia) wanted specific asthetics. Adding a microSD would have degraded the look they wanted.

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so by saying I would be drawn to a WP8 device with higher specs, I'm a dum dum who doesn't understand memory allocation or clock speed vs. Number of cores?

I'll be honest. I like the spec sheet. I'm not saying my WP underperforms, by any means. In fact, quite the opposite. But I always like the option of more.

So, before you get your panties in a twist and write inflammatory comments based on my dreams of 2013 hardware wishes for WP, do yourself a favor and scream all your nerdy ****** defense into your pillow.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
More CPU cores = faster video processing in Premiere Pro and After Effects because it can render multiple frames simultaneously..

Ehmmm, yes, absolutely, however, I mentioned WP8 specifically multiple times, and was referring only to that OS! Memory management on Windows and WP are entirely different beasts. Everything I've said comes straight from MS' own WP dev docs, so it isn't really disputable. Your statements about premier and after affects are correct of course, but irrelevant for WP.

In regard to cores, I know what you are saying, but it too doesn't apply to smartphones, for various reasons, not the least of which being that you can't name a smartphone app that scales across cores in the same way premiere pro does on the PC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05