928 vs 920

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I am willing to give them until the end of April on the 928. If it's not out then it will have to be the 822. I am giving myself a firm deadline so that I can avoid the perpetual wait!

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I am willing to give them until the end of April on the 928. If it's not out then it will have to be the 822. I am giving myself a firm deadline so that I can avoid the perpetual wait!

Is there something about the 8X that doesn't interest you? Other than expandable storage it's a great phone. I've had the 822 and the 8X and prefer the 8X, but both are solid phones.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Here is my two cents. What could possibly be better on the 928 that won't just be a small incremental bump? The 920 has an awesome camera, NFC, hi-res display, large screen, wireless charging, lots of storage, it really doesn't lack any major feature. So I'm guessing the 928 will just be a little faster, maybe a better camera, etc. But no game changers. Right now you can get a 920 free at a MS store, but you'll have to pay for the 928 with whatever minor updates come with it. The 920 will of course still get all updates since it's on the new kernel. There is really no downside to the 920 at all that I can think of. If you're on Verizon then this is really easy, wait for it on Verizon. If not, pull the trigger.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Is there something about the 8X that doesn't interest you? Other than expandable storage it's a great phone. I've had the 822 and the 8X and prefer the 8X, but both are solid phones.

8X is a nice phone but I am set on Nokia. Although most people seem to like the feel of the 8X it doesn't feel good in my hand. If I am going to choose a non pure view camera phone the removeable battery is a deciding factor. Verizon is a must.

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
The 928 can shoot lasers, hence the cold name laser! PEW PEW! Sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

If you want to wait then wait cause when and if it comes out, guess what! 4-5 months later Nokia is going to announce their next flagship phone and you'll be either saying, "Damnit, I should have waited for this one instead"

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
8X is a nice phone but I am set on Nokia. Although most people seem to like the feel of the 8X it doesn't feel good in my hand. If I am going to choose a non pure view camera phone the removeable battery is a deciding factor. Verizon is a must.

Makes sense. I would wait for the 928 and pass on the 822. I haven't used a 920, but there I found a noticeable difference between the screen and camera in the 822 and 8X and I'm sure the difference is just an big or bigger when the 920 is compared to the 822.

15gdm

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Last year, wasn't it a common feeling that AT&T would have the exlusive rights to the Nokia top-end phone for six months? Wasn't the 920's release date 11/11/12? So, doesn't it make sense that Verizon won't be allowed to sell the 928 until 5/11/13.
I'm no expert on these matters.... I hope it's sooner!!!

Last edited:

Easy-G

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It won't be different in terms of performance or exclusive software, it's essentially a 920 in a thinner, aluminum body. I'm guessing it will have slightly poorer camera performance on account of the thinner body and OIS being partly hardware dependent. Camera flash will be better, but people usually avoid using the flash. It might even cost more on account of being newer and more shiny. Take it from my very average, non-professional opinion... get the 920 :)

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Do we really feel the 928 will be that much different than the 920? I need to dump my Note 2 on Verizon and want a 920. Not sure the 928 is worth waiting for. Some rumors indicate it might only have a 4.3" screen. That would be a deal breaker for me.

We won't know for sure until its released. It will likely be announced in the next week or so, so I think its worth waiting - likely it will be an upgrade.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Last year, wasn't it a common feeling that AT&T would have the exlusive rights to the Nokia top-end phone for six months? Wasn't the 920's release date 11/11/12? So, doesn't it make sense that Verizon won't be allowed to sell the 928 until 5/11/13.
I'm no expert on these matters.... I hope it's sooner!!!
These are good questions. The place to look for the answers is in the contract between Nokia and ATT where the terms will be spelled out. Does the contract say, "Nokia top-end phone" or does it say, "Lumia 920"? Does it say, "Launch date," or does it say, "Announcement date," or something else entirely? Does it say that the phone has to be anything like the 920, or can a minor change get around that?

The answer to the questions is, "Do you have a copy of the contract?" All of our speculation makes no difference at all.

We won't know for sure until its released. It will likely be announced in the next week or so, so I think its worth waiting - likely it will be an upgrade.
THIS.

Elop said that there were "exciting" things coming for Verizon. I don't know about any of you, but to me, "exciting" doesn't mean six-month-old technology.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I am due mid April for my upgrade so I will wait until the end of April. I must admit that I've started looking closer at the 822 again just in case this is all another disappointment for us WP users on Verizon.

Rick2340

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I am due mid April for my upgrade so I will wait until the end of April. I must admit that I've started looking closer at the 822 again just in case this is all another disappointment for us WP users on Verizon.

I'm thinking if it isn't announced soon I may give AT&T a try and get a 920.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking if it isn't announced soon I may give AT&T a try and get a 920.

This is what I did. My red 920 comes tomorrow and my wife has already received her cyan 920. Both free at the MS store right now btw. I just got tired of all the rumors with nothing definitive. I know Verizon likes to keep a tight lip but sometimes I think they shoot themselves in the foot by being this way.

Rick2340

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
This is what I did. My red 920 comes tomorrow and my wife has already received her cyan 920. Both free at the MS store right now btw. I just got tired of all the rumors with nothing definitive. I know Verizon likes to keep a tight lip but sometimes I think they shoot themselves in the foot by being this way.

I realize this varies by location but given your wife has already received her phone, how is the reception quality relative to Verizon? I don't live in a big city and I've had Verizon since I've lived here but AT&T recently added LTE service in this area so I may give them a try.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately for me at&t doesn't offer a plan that can compare with my current Verizon plan. My wife is only months into a new contract. I cant afford the penalty plus the extra monthly coat of a switch. Hopefully Verizon will come through.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
@Rick2340

Well, we were with ATT up until about two years ago when Verizon first got the Droid and I switched then, moving my wife over to my plan last year. We're in OKC and we've had no problems with ATT in the past and with Verizon, it was excellent coverage as well.

Just check their coverage maps and see where you fall. In all honesty, it's nice to be back on a GSM phone and get off a CDMA. We'll see in the coming weeks how reception is but I don't anticipate any problems. I'm getting four bars of LTE coverage right now and I'm in a northern suburb and not even close to the city center so at least at my house, the coverage is very good.

I think with ATT or Verizon, you really can't go wrong with coverage. Tmobile and Sprint seem to be more sparse especially out in rural areas.

I gotta be honest here, the 920 blows away the Trohpy even as good as it was. The 920 just feels so good in the hand and truly has that premium feel to as any flagship should. I expect no less out of the 928. It's just a shame that it's taking Verizon so long. Phone geeks like myself are an impatient bunch!

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I gotta be honest here, the 920 blows away the Trohpy even as good as it was. The 920 just feels so good in the hand and truly has that premium feel to as any flagship should. I expect no less out of the 928. It's just a shame that it's taking Verizon so long. Phone geeks like myself are an impatient bunch!

I've owned the Trophy, the 822 and now an 8X. Both the 822 and the 8X easily blow away the Trophy and I would expect the 920 and 928 to do the same.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, Trophy never was more than a mediocre, (got mine on launch day) mid-range phone, and while I haven't put hands on any of the low-end Lumias, I'm going to say that I'd bet even the lowest-end Lumia would blow away the Trophy.

Don't get me wrong - I was glad to have it, being the only WP7 on VZW, but it was never anything to blow you away.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, Trophy never was more than a mediocre, (got mine on launch day) mid-range phone, and while I haven't put hands on any of the low-end Lumias, I'm going to say that I'd bet even the lowest-end Lumia would blow away the Trophy.

Don't get me wrong - I was glad to have it, being the only WP7 on VZW, but it was never anything to blow you away.

Totally agree. Also I had several Trophys and it was easily the worst phone I've ever had for reception.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo