Can't wait anymore.

sullibr01

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
why don't u just get the 822 off eBay for now they're running roughly $200 or so on there. I'm waiting as well I might just do that til the 928 comes

I did the same a couple months ago. Got a very slightly used Lumia 822 for $200 on E-bay. The down side is that I find the 822 more than adequate for the things I use a phone for, so I may just hang on to it. I guess something may come out indicating the 928 is really that much better, but the 822 has quelled my urge for a new phone for now. I'm not sure I would get an 822 to "hold you over" given the rumors that April is going to be the month the 928 is released.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I got my Trophy through the Microsoft Store when they were having their "Are you Faster than a Windows Phone" promo. It was free.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Really? An iPhone? Isn't that like the old saying "cutting off your nose to spite your face"? Respectfully,and as someone who works with iOS devices and the mac OS X environment every day, don't get an iPhone.

I'm tired of WAITING. I need a solution NOW. My Trophy is starting to fail. It's not a matter of me wanting to wait for the latest and greatest, I NEED a solution. I'm also an emergency first responder so having a reliable communications tool is vital. Right now I am hobbling along. I don't want to keep doing that. If I am going to get something, I want to get something that has a more mature ecosystem. I'm tired of being the red-headed step child of the app world. I would be willing to trade some of that for the 928, but if I am going to get something that isn't the 928, I'd be willing to trade for a device that has the maturity of the Apple ecosystem. I'm no Apple fan, but it just seems to be more mature.

I'm kinda surprised that someone who has an iphone and a MAC would be pushing against that integration.

Right now, I've figured out a system to hobble along a little longer. Hopefully I can keep it going till at least we have SOME info on when it is coming. Then I can make a decision.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
What is more mature about the iOS ecosystem to the Windows one? Other then non-essential apps like instagram. What does iOS have that Windows Phone doesn't? Just curious...

baaahthesheep

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
jleebiker, I'm confused. You say you DON'T want the latest and the greatest? and that you really do need a new phone? Why not spring for the 822? It's a really solid phone, and for free on Verizon, I don't think I've ever seen a better deal. I would've gotten it months ago but thought I'd save some money and wait...then of course rumors of the 928 popped up so I waited some more...

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm tired of WAITING. I need a solution NOW. My Trophy is starting to fail. It's not a matter of me wanting to wait for the latest and greatest, I NEED a solution. I'm also an emergency first responder so having a reliable communications tool is vital. Right now I am hobbling along. I don't want to keep doing that. If I am going to get something, I want to get something that has a more mature ecosystem. I'm tired of being the red-headed step child of the app world. I would be willing to trade some of that for the 928, but if I am going to get something that isn't the 928, I'd be willing to trade for a device that has the maturity of the Apple ecosystem. I'm no Apple fan, but it just seems to be more mature.

I'm kinda surprised that someone who has an iphone and a MAC would be pushing against that integration.

Right now, I've figured out a system to hobble along a little longer. Hopefully I can keep it going till at least we have SOME info on when it is coming. Then I can make a decision.

If you don't mind a lower resolution screen, the 822 is basically the same as the 8X.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The 822 has more innovation in it than the iPhone 5..... But if you want the iPhone, get the iPhone. I'm happy if people buy a Windows Phone, but it's Android that I campaign against. You sound really anxious to get something new, but there's NOTHING new or innovative in the iPhone 5 (well, except iOS maps, I suppose......).

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
To the OP, if I were on Verizon and were in your shoes, I would wait a bit longer to get the 928. Yes, the 822 is a great phone (I have the 810 but have seen and handled an 822 at the mall once), but the 928 will undoubtedly be even better.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as the OP, my Trophy is starting to fail, freezing, laggy, having to reboot it a lot, etc. I might have to factory reset it to get it to work right. I hope it holds on a few more weeks. And no I don't want an 822 or an 8X. If it fails I'll have to use my daughters old Iphone 4 until the 928 is released.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as the OP, my Trophy is starting to fail, freezing, laggy, having to reboot it a lot, etc. I might have to factory reset it to get it to work right. I hope it holds on a few more weeks. And no I don't want an 822 or an 8X. If it fails I'll have to use my daughters old Iphone 4 until the 928 is released.

I factory reset my phones every 3 months to keep them quick and clean!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Funny, I had a trophy and even fully unlocking it I never had an issue with it...

To the OP, wait a little longer, If you dont hear something in 3 weeks then get what you want. You can always get a battery charger for the Trophy (to charge just the battery)for something like $5-8 on ebay. I always had 2 batteries with my Trophy and had one always fully charged so i could go a few days with out charging if needed.

Personally, I am waiting for the 928, As long as it has a MicroSD slot (like a lot of rumors are saying) I will be buying it off contract. I'm not willing to give up my Unlimited data. I have a HTC 8x and I get full LTE at home and work....and it's FAST. I am currently selling my 8X to get the extra cash to get a 928 off contract.

I would just wait a few more weeks, you have waited this long, what is a few more weeks ? All rumors and even from a "claimed" Verizon employee here says that it will show it's face in April, I just want to know what it is all about....NOW..

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
What is more mature about the iOS ecosystem to the Windows one? Other then non-essential apps like instagram. What does iOS have that Windows Phone doesn't? Just curious...

For starters, the plethora of mapping/GPS apps that will let you use topo maps. Importantly, to install/download USGS maps and use them in an offline state. Also, with WP limitation with background apps, sometimes, apps just shutdown, nullifying the inherent benefit of these types of apps. I can't tell you how annoying it is to think I am logging a GPS track to find out that the app is no longer running and I have to restart it. Even things like Endomondo which has been around forever doesn't work well as a background app.

Also, let's look at things like the sensors the diff hardware platforms support. Can WP hardware support ANT+ devices?

I just get tired of all the WP "It's coming! Just wait!" statements where as with iOS, the statement is "It's available now.". A lot of people talk about how the iOS UI is dated and old, but you know what, it still works and is sill very usable. What's wrong with that?

I don't think I'm saying anything new here. All these things are things that already been stated ad naseum. I don't want to rehash things we have been talking about FOREVER. (Which by itself is something, why are we STILL talking about the SAME things after all this time? Shouldn't we be moving on to other stuff?)

lgdlman

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Granted a stay of execution. Went to the VZW store and they had sold out of all of their 822's over the weekend. Have to wait until the 6th for more to come in.

See, it was in the cards, they have spoken! Personally, as I'm on Verizon, if not a 928, may end up with an 8X, better camera.

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Originally Posted by Ron Penton
Granted a stay of execution. Went to the VZW store and they had sold out of all of their 822's over the weekend. Have to wait until the 6th for more to come in.

See, it was in the cards, they have spoken! Personally, as I'm on Verizon, if not a 928, may end up with an 8X, better camera.

can't go wrong with the 8x. Love mine
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Foroplex

DanInTheRockies

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
For starters, the plethora of mapping/GPS apps that will let you use topo maps. Importantly, to install/download USGS maps and use them in an offline state. Also, with WP limitation with background apps, sometimes, apps just shutdown, nullifying the inherent benefit of these types of apps. I can't tell you how annoying it is to think I am logging a GPS track to find out that the app is no longer running and I have to restart it. Even things like Endomondo which has been around forever doesn't work well as a background app.

Also, let's look at things like the sensors the diff hardware platforms support. Can WP hardware support ANT+ devices?

I just get tired of all the WP "It's coming! Just wait!" statements where as with iOS, the statement is "It's available now.". A lot of people talk about how the iOS UI is dated and old, but you know what, it still works and is sill very usable. What's wrong with that?

I don't think I'm saying anything new here. All these things are things that already been stated ad naseum. I don't want to rehash things we have been talking about FOREVER. (Which by itself is something, why are we STILL talking about the SAME things after all this time? Shouldn't we be moving on to other stuff?)

I like gadgets, and I like something new and different. I have had a Palm Pre (first one), HTC EVO (Android), and an iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, and now 5. By the way, I liked the UI and multi-tasking on the Pre the best, it was just painfully slow, and Palm and HP don't know how to run a phone business, so it is basically dead. As I was telling the Verizon guy, I can hold up my iPhone 5 next to the very first one, and the on-screen UI is identical, other than one more row of apps...wooohooo. The phone is really the app, and Apple has a launch screen that takes you to the App where you do stuff. Basically shortcuts to apps that came out with the original Macintosh, Windows 3 and earlier, and OS/2. If you want the most stable, reliable, best battery life and you are good with the iPhone UI, get an iPhone 5 or wait until June and get a 5S or 6 or whatever they come out with. With Apple's present rate of innovation, it might even have a better camera and them touting "really, the Maps app is better."

I changed from the PC to a Mac in 2009, solely for something different. The only real innovation from Snow Leopard to now is the share button and airplay, though iCloud is cool with getting your pictures onto all your devices. Be they nice features, implemented well, there is still very little that has really changed to speak of. You can hit a button and get an iPad-like screen with basically shortcuts to your apps, again...wooohooo. Unfortunately, with Mountain Lion, you now get to watch the spinning beach ball many times per day (for you Windows folks, think hour glass or rotating circle). The general stability of the OS and Beach Ball frequency puts it in the league with Windows 98, SE, or Millennium (ok, slight exaggeration). Sad Apple has gone backwards in that area, but it is true. OS makes your laptop slower too, which is almost always the case with new OSs.

So, I bought a Surface Pro for my son, thinking that if the handwriting recognition was good enough, you could write as fast as you can and have it converted to text. Great for college notes in class or labs, when you don't want a full keyboard, and also when you want to free-hand draw. Very precise stylus. Metro is also cool, though the one app at a time with swipe switching is more tablet / iPad like, and only good for casual use (facebook, browser, and several other apps). I have to work on the desktop with the Office apps, which has nicely been optimized as to not be such a resource pig with 3d window borders and such that add zero value. I am so impressed I bought myself one and my daughter one for her 18th Birthday. We all love it. My iPad 2 stays in the drawer (and has for over a year) except when I want to quickly look something up on the Internet or let my granddaughter play games on it.

All that said, my present "dream phone" just for fun would be a Core iX system on a chip with Windows 8 Pro and a stylus with the same quality of recognition and precise-ness of the Surface Pro. That way I have real Office Apps, including OneNote, Visio, and Project, and I can actually get real work done; unlike the Android or iPhone. As a side note, a Nokia rep and AT&T store guy were touring me around a Nokia 920, and I asked if Word on there supported styles. "Oh yea, let me show you." They pulled up a menu with bullets and numbered list icons. I said, do you know what a style is in MS-Word, and had to spend 2 or 3 minutes explaining it. They responded that it would clutter up the interface too much, and that is why Microsoft left it out... So much for editing a statement of work on my Surface Pro and finishing it up on my phone, hence my Core iX desire :)

For now, I will take my May upgrade on Verizon and get a 928 or something better if it comes out by May (how about a Galaxy S4 with Windows Phone 8, oh Samsung great leader of the Smart Phone business? ;-)). My hope is that Microsoft does a Surface Phone 8 or Surface Phone 9, then I will "steal" my wife or daughter's upgrade (she will get my iPhone 5), and get one of those.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

if you buy your phones simply to have apps then you should go with what works for you, to say that windows ecosystem is not mature because of lack of apps is a bit over the top. lack of name brand applications that really arent the end of the world is not any reason to bash.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05