05-10-2013 12:48 PM
614 ... 1415161718 ...
tools
    I think it is the exclusivity thing.. may be it will be announced on May 2nd.
    04-30-2013 12:05 PM
    I posted in another thread legal reasons would make sense why there has been literally zero official details of this phone revealed. AT&T may be disallowing any official announcement by Nokia/VZN until the 6mos is completely up, as given the 928's technical superiority to the 920 an announcement would obviously have at least some material impact on 920 sales - with some potentially holding off on a 920 buy waiting for the 928 if the 928 were made official.

Hopefully next time Nokia will not restrict themselves to one carrier with their flagship!
    04-30-2013 12:05 PM
    Seriously, though, I would expect that if it were a patent issue, we'd hear about it through the press by now if that were the reason. I'd wonder if it were more of a contract type legal issue.
    04-30-2013 12:06 PM
    If it is a AT&T contract issue, there is the possibility of announcing the phone and having immediate availability on the same day if Verizon can pull it off logistically - on the date the contract expires.

I am not 100% buying that the phone was "delayed," as this phone apparently has a 60 million ad budget and there have been no ads leaked or ran. It really looks like given Nokia's constant denials of the phone's existence and VZN's silence that the AT&T exclusivity contract may be the issue. If that is the case, we are at the mercy of the AT&T/Nokia exclusivity contract expiration date.

I do have a suspicion this phone will be available to buy by May 9th latest... Too many people have their hands on it for it to be longer than that. We will see.
    04-30-2013 12:09 PM
    That's always possible. Fingers crossed.....
    04-30-2013 12:12 PM
    If this helps maybe you're correct? I saw this in another thread...

"LucaNYC
    Nokia 920 exclusivity with AT&T ends in MayApologies if someone has already brought this up. I just had a chat with AT&T support and thought you may be interested.

[AT&T representative - redacted]: Sure, how can I help?
    [Me]: I bought a Lumia 920 as soon as it came out
    [Me]: at the time they told me it could not be unlocked, and so it wouldn't for a few months
    [Me]: do you have any idea of how long needs to pass before it can be carrier unlocked?
    [Me]: i travel a lot so it makes a difference to be able to use another SIM
    [Me]: (that's how I lost the iPhone one...)
    [AT&T]: Can I have you dial *#06# from the device and verify the IMEI. I can certainly check on that for you.
    [Me]: [redacted]
    [AT&T]: It would appear that our exclusivity agreement between Nokia and AT&T, with that device, should be completed after 5/9/2013.
    "
    04-30-2013 01:18 PM
    If it is a AT&T contract issue, there is the possibility of announcing the phone and having immediate availability on the same day if Verizon can pull it off logistically - on the date the contract expires.

I am not 100% buying that the phone was "delayed," as this phone apparently has a 60 million ad budget and there have been no ads leaked or ran. It really looks like given Nokia's constant denials of the phone's existence and VZN's silence that the AT&T exclusivity contract may be the issue. If that is the case, we are at the mercy of the AT&T/Nokia exclusivity contract expiration date.

I do have a suspicion this phone will be available to buy by May 9th latest... Too many people have their hands on it for it to be longer than that. We will see.
    You're probably right. Saw this in another thread...

"LucaNYC
    Nokia 920 exclusivity with AT&T ends in MayApologies if someone has already brought this up. I just had a chat with AT&T support and thought you may be interested.

[AT&T representative - redacted]: Sure, how can I help?
    [Me]: I bought a Lumia 920 as soon as it came out
    [Me]: at the time they told me it could not be unlocked, and so it wouldn't for a few months
    [Me]: do you have any idea of how long needs to pass before it can be carrier unlocked?
    [Me]: i travel a lot so it makes a difference to be able to use another SIM
    [Me]: (that's how I lost the iPhone one...)
    [AT&T]: Can I have you dial *#06# from the device and verify the IMEI. I can certainly check on that for you.
    [Me]: [redacted]
    [AT&T]: It would appear that our exclusivity agreement between Nokia and AT&T, with that device, should be completed after 5/9/2013.
    "
    04-30-2013 01:22 PM
    Seems to me, that if the phone is able to be released as of the 9th, they would probably just wait a few more days to announce it at the London event. I can't see it coming before then.
    04-30-2013 02:05 PM
    Specs are up on the main page, but re-posting:

Improvements from 920:

10% less volume than 920 and 20g lighter
    New "infinity design = beautiful screen and provides a better in-hand feel"
    Xenon flash
    better audio performance, louder higher quality speaker with new amplifier
    Dolby headphone audio enhancements
    OLED display
    Detailed Specifications

dimensions: 5.24x2.71x0.44 inches
    weight: 5.7 ounces
    Global Ready
    1.5GHz dual core Qualcomm MSM8960+WTR, 1GB Ram
    4.5" WXGA HD OLED, 334ppi
    f/2.0, 26mm OIS camera
    distortion free audio recording up to 140db
    8MP 4:3 or 7.2MP 16:9
    Xenon flash
    LED light for video
    1080p video capture @30fps
    usual radios
    2000mAh battery
    32gb internal memory (no micro sd)
    Ruined likes this.
    04-30-2013 03:02 PM
    Seems to me, that if the phone is able to be released as of the 9th, they would probably just wait a few more days to announce it at the London event. I can't see it coming before then.
    No, Verizon is going to announce this - it won't be announced by Nokia in London. I'll eat a 16 ounce ribeye if I'm wrong. I'll eat a slab of babyback ribs if I'm right.
    04-30-2013 03:25 PM
    aligns with what "I sh*t karma" said on Reddit...

Specs are up on the main page, but re-posting:

Improvements from 920:

10% less volume than 920 and 20g lighter
    New "infinity design = beautiful screen and provides a better in-hand feel"
    Xenon flash
    better audio performance, louder higher quality speaker with new amplifier
    Dolby headphone audio enhancements
    OLED display
    Detailed Specifications

dimensions: 5.24x2.71x0.44 inches
    weight: 5.7 ounces
    Global Ready
    1.5GHz dual core Qualcomm MSM8960+WTR, 1GB Ram
    4.5" WXGA HD OLED, 334ppi
    f/2.0, 26mm OIS camera
    distortion free audio recording up to 140db
    8MP 4:3 or 7.2MP 16:9
    Xenon flash
    LED light for video
    1080p video capture @30fps
    usual radios
    2000mAh battery
    32gb internal memory (no micro sd)
    04-30-2013 03:33 PM
    Cool... More space would be nice, but it will work for me!
    04-30-2013 03:51 PM
    No, Verizon is going to announce this - it won't be announced by Nokia in London. I'll eat a 16 ounce ribeye if I'm wrong. I'll eat a slab of babyback ribs if I'm right.
    Sounds like you win whether you're right or wrong.
    hopmedic likes this.
    04-30-2013 04:06 PM
    Well the wait is over. For me anyway. Bought a Nexus & switched to T-Mobile. I was pretty much a tailor-made customer MS should dream about: wanting to be different than the Apple/Google fanboys, disappointed w/ first smartphone/Android experience, even going so far as to lurk here for months pining for an update. And Verizon blew it. Between their CIA-like secrecy, overpriced plans, hideous bloatware..good riddance. T-Mo in addition to having great plans, seems totally fine for coverage at least where I am (I realize your mileage may vary there).
    Best of luck to you guys (and Nokia - competition is always a good thing!); maybe our paths will cross again in a couple years.
    04-30-2013 04:10 PM
    That's the best way to win or lose. With steak and ribs. And pie. And ice cream. With bacon.
    hopmedic likes this.
    04-30-2013 04:16 PM
    Lol exactly what I was thinking.
    04-30-2013 04:27 PM
    AAaaannnnnndddd the wait continues...Good thing I'm a very patient person .
    04-30-2013 07:12 PM
    Bought a z10. Returned z10. Hurry up 928.
    04-30-2013 07:36 PM
    Bought a z10. Returned z10. Hurry up 928.
    That was quick. What was the problem?
    04-30-2013 07:51 PM
    Well the wait is over. For me anyway. Bought a Nexus & switched to T-Mobile. I was pretty much a tailor-made customer MS should dream about: wanting to be different than the Apple/Google fanboys, disappointed w/ first smartphone/Android experience, even going so far as to lurk here for months pining for an update. And Verizon blew it. Between their CIA-like secrecy, overpriced plans, hideous bloatware..good riddance. T-Mo in addition to having great plans, seems totally fine for coverage at least where I am (I realize your mileage may vary there).
    Best of luck to you guys (and Nokia - competition is always a good thing!); maybe our paths will cross again in a couple years.
    Seriously? You couldn't wait another week or so? I don't think Verizon, nor Nokia, are the problem here. Me thinks it's lack of patience. But, having said that, hopefully you'll get what you want out of what you got.
    04-30-2013 08:35 PM
    That was quick. What was the problem?
    beyond the peek n flow the handset is pretty underwhelming. The reboots are what pushed me over the edge though. 2-5 reboots a day.
    04-30-2013 08:36 PM
    beyond the peek n flow the handset is pretty underwhelming. The reboots are what pushed me over the edge though. 2-5 reboots a day.
    Random reboots or were they caused by app installation?
    04-30-2013 08:42 PM
    Well that sucks.
    04-30-2013 08:55 PM
    Got to play with a Lumia 928 the leaks from EV are dead on. Sorry folks no removable storage. The device is definitely coming in May.
    04-30-2013 08:58 PM
    Random reboots or were they caused by app installation?
    Random I believe. I didn't have much for apps downloaded and when I deleted the few I had it still rebooted. I think it's something with Verizons firmware. Over on crackberry there are many Verizon users with the same issues.
    04-30-2013 09:16 PM
614 ... 1415161718 ...