05-10-2013 12:48 PM
614 ... 1516171819 ...
tools
    Sounds like you win whether you're right or wrong.
    That's the idea!
    04-30-2013 09:47 PM
    I had a 900 and 920 before switching over to vzw. I have been through a few Android phones in that time . Currently, I have the DNA but miss WP. I have been seriously considering returning the DNA for an 8x or 822. I can't decide if the screen on the 8x out weighs the advantages of the 822. The last day of my return period is May 9th. Wish I knew if the 928 was going to land before then!
    04-30-2013 09:56 PM
    I had a 900 and 920 before switching over to vzw. I have been through a few Android phones in that time . Currently, I have the DNA but miss WP. I have been seriously considering returning the DNA for an 8x or 822. I can't decide if the screen on the 8x out weighs the advantages of the 822. The last day of my return period is May 9th. Wish I knew if the 928 was going to land before then!
    8X has the better camera, but hang on as long as you can then pull the trigger on May 8th?
    04-30-2013 10:36 PM
    Got to play with a Lumia 928 the leaks from EV are dead on. Sorry folks no removable storage. The device is definitely coming in May.
    Any more details? Where is the micro usb charging port located?
    04-30-2013 11:27 PM
    USB is on top... Between the micro sim tray and a microphone.
    05-01-2013 12:08 AM
    mbmullins -- I sent you a PM. Let me know if you got it. Thanks!
    05-01-2013 01:17 AM
    928 is like the biggest vaporware, everyone knows everything about the phone but Nokia and Microsoft did not even acknowledge its existence.
    05-01-2013 01:53 AM
    928 is like the biggest vaporware, everyone knows everything about the phone but Nokia and Microsoft did not even acknowledge its existence.
    And why is this a problem? You know how Verizon operates, they don't announce usually until a week before the product comes out. Plus, we may have legal issues with AT&T and their contract with the 920 that ends May 9th.
    05-01-2013 07:34 AM
    USB is on top... Between the micro sim tray and a microphone.
    Ugh I really hope not. That's a massive turn off! What, so only speaker on the bottom? Micro hdmi?
    05-01-2013 10:10 AM
    Ugh I really hope not. That's a massive turn off! What, so only speaker on the bottom? Micro hdmi?
    Correct, speaker is on the bottom, but it's supposed to provide great sound. No micro hdmi.
    05-01-2013 10:23 AM
    In all of the leaked pictures that are confirmed accurate the speaker appears to be on the rear of the phone, not on the bottom like previous Lumias. Unless there is more than 1 driver?
    05-01-2013 10:32 AM
    In all of the leaked pictures that are confirmed accurate the speaker appears to be on the rear of the phone, not on the bottom like previous Lumias. Unless there is more than 1 driver?
    When I said bottom, I meant "bottom half" not literally the bottom of the phone. Yes, you are correct. It's on back of the phone, towards the bottom.
    05-01-2013 10:41 AM
    Correct, speaker is on the bottom, but it's supposed to provide great sound. No micro hdmi.
    I love a loud speaker but I really wish the usb was on the bottom. Its going to make everything so messy when I put it in the windshield mount. :/
    05-01-2013 10:42 AM
    Well the wait is over. For me anyway. Bought a Nexus & switched to T-Mobile. I was pretty much a tailor-made customer MS should dream about: wanting to be different than the Apple/Google fanboys, disappointed w/ first smartphone/Android experience, even going so far as to lurk here for months pining for an update. And Verizon blew it. Between their CIA-like secrecy, overpriced plans, hideous bloatware..good riddance. T-Mo in addition to having great plans, seems totally fine for coverage at least where I am (I realize your mileage may vary there).
    Best of luck to you guys (and Nokia - competition is always a good thing!); maybe our paths will cross again in a couple years.
    Sounds like you didn't really want the phone anyway. It's an unannounced phone that's only in the rumor mill as far as anyone's concerned. I'd rather them be secret and announce a phone when it's ready than get an announcement and have to wait 3-6 months due to delays and whatnot.
    05-01-2013 11:20 AM
    Well the wait is over. For me anyway. Bought a Nexus & switched to T-Mobile. I was pretty much a tailor-made customer MS should dream about: wanting to be different than the Apple/Google fanboys, disappointed w/ first smartphone/Android experience, even going so far as to lurk here for months pining for an update. And Verizon blew it. Between their CIA-like secrecy, overpriced plans, hideous bloatware..good riddance. T-Mo in addition to having great plans, seems totally fine for coverage at least where I am (I realize your mileage may vary there).
    Best of luck to you guys (and Nokia - competition is always a good thing!); maybe our paths will cross again in a couple years.
    The bolded text is all I need to see to know that you're acting on unchecked emotion and not actual knowledge. Uninstalling "bloatware" (which on my 822 only consists of the My Verizon app) is as simple as tap/hold and Delete, and it's all gone, without a trace. Have fun over on the Android forums, and with the spyware that comes on the most prolific virus in the world: Android. We'll miss you over here.

On second thought.........
    argenys and jmajid like this.
    05-01-2013 11:57 AM
    I love a loud speaker but I really wish the usb was on the bottom. Its going to make everything so messy when I put it in the windshield mount. :/
    Hopefully with the launch of this phone we will also get that Nokia wireless charging car mount that they showed off earlier this year but failed to release, as of yet.
    05-01-2013 01:11 PM
    Hopefully with the launch of this phone we will also get that Nokia wireless charging car mount that they showed off earlier this year but failed to release, as of yet.
    They said at the time that it would launch in May.

Nokia Wireless Car Charger - provide juice to your Windows Phone in the car without cables | Windows Phone Central

It's the very last word in the article.
    05-01-2013 02:31 PM
    The bolded text is all I need to see to know that you're acting on unchecked emotion and not actual knowledge. Uninstalling "bloatware" (which on my 822 only consists of the My Verizon app) is as simple as tap/hold and Delete, and it's all gone, without a trace. Have fun over on the Android forums, and with the spyware that comes on the most prolific virus in the world: Android. We'll miss you over here.

On second thought.........
    Cute little dig at the end. What are you, 11?
    You are correct about the lack of Windows bloatware, which is in fact why I gave them such consideration in the first place (which most people don't)...I just got into a general Verizon rant :)
    As for being emotional/impulsive/impatient, ha, I can see everyone that knows me finding that hilarious, me being an Econ major & Accountant with the same girlfriend, car insurance, & cell provider since basically forever (until now). Interesting how the guys who earlier itt said they were going to AT&T for the 920 weren't denigrated like that (and they're not even saving any $), I wonder why...so much for only Apple/Google having a monopoly on the fanboys!
    05-01-2013 03:33 PM
    Cute little dig at the end. What are you, 11?
    You are correct about the lack of Windows bloatware, which is in fact why I gave them such consideration in the first place (which most people don't)...I just got into a general Verizon rant :)
    As for being emotional/impulsive/impatient, ha, I can see everyone that knows me finding that hilarious, me being an Econ major & Accountant with the same girlfriend, car insurance, & cell provider since basically forever (until now). Interesting how the guys who earlier itt said they were going to AT&T for the 920 weren't denigrated like that (and they're not even saving any $), I wonder why...so much for only Apple/Google having a monopoly on the fanboys!

Honestly it is kind of ironic though that you talk about bloatware and then buy an Android, whose phones traditionally have 10x the bloatware of Windows Phones, as well as tons of viruses and spyware.

That is not to denigrate your preference, just a bit of irony in the wording of it.
    hopmedic and jmajid like this.
    05-01-2013 04:38 PM
    Honestly it is kind of ironic though that you talk about bloatware and then buy an Android, whose phones traditionally have 10x the bloatware of Windows Phones, as well as tons of viruses and spyware.

That is not to denigrate your preference, just a bit of irony in the wording of it.
    I constantly see people claiming android has viruses but I have yet to see an android device with a virus besides articles posted on the verge or phonearena. I'm not saying it's impossible but it's not like the damn things ship with viruses.
    scottcraft likes this.
    05-01-2013 05:25 PM
    I constantly see people claiming android has viruses but I have yet to see an android device with a virus besides articles posted on the verge or phonearena. I'm not saying it's impossible but it's not like the damn things ship with viruses.
    Agree. I'm not saying there isn't potential for harmful apps with android, but I think it's a bit overblown to generate hits on news articles.
    05-01-2013 05:40 PM
    Viruses, maybe not in the sense of PC viruses as we know. But the Google Play Store is full of malicious apps, that contain spyware, adware and such. I just downloaded an app yesterday that appeared to be legit. But low and behold as soon as it installed, I started getting slammed by ad notifications. So not a virus, but an annoyance. And that isn't the first time I was hit with that. Just like on a PC, you have to be careful with what you click. But you would think Google would actually have some screening process to keep these apps out of the store. But, maybe they are more concerned about quantity of apps then quality of apps. I guess it also goes hand in hand with Google anyway. I can deal with free apps that display ads in their app to make their profit. I understand that, but to be slammed with ad after ad in my notifications by an app is an annoyance. They make my tablet look like a mobile billboard.
    05-01-2013 07:21 PM
    I see. That sounds more like spyware or adware than a virus. None the less that does sound annoying.
    Ruined likes this.
    05-01-2013 07:30 PM
    I see. That sounds more like spyware or adware than a virus. None the less that does sound annoying.
    Yes it is adware. For the most part, adware, spyware and other malware tend to get lumped under the name virus. Virus is a general term for any program that does something malicious or just does something that it is not intended to do.
    Gungzwei likes this.
    05-01-2013 08:34 PM
    This is a bit "geeky" but I thought I will share..

So if the 928 has a Xenon flash, that means that they have to use a mechanical shutter, instead of an electronic one. I remember reading something on the difference between the two a while back, and I found the following:

Why Digital Cameras Have Mechanical Shutters

"A simple mechanical shutter can be used to turn the entire sensor array on/off during the exposure. This eliminates the need for added electronics at each pixel location that would be used to turn on/off the pixel and store the charge (accumulated light). By using a mechanical shutter, a simpler, less expensive, and more efficient sensor can be used: one that has a higher fill factor (uses more of each pixel to actually capture light). "

So by using a mechanical shutter instead of an electronic one, you actually get to use the full size of the pixels... and at 1.4 microns, that might make a slight difference in image quality between the 920 and the 928,. i.e better than the 920.

That's all a theory, and assuming that they are indeed using a mechanical shutter, and a sensor that can fully take advantage of it. Nokia have a long history of using mechanical shutter.. every one of their phones with a xenon flash has one, so I don't see why stop now. Also.. I don't think you could have a xenon flash without one...or at least not if you want to do it right.

Some other interesting points on xenon / led

The “Light Power” (which determines how bright it appears) of the Xenon flash is much greater than of it in the LED flash. But though this is the fact, it fools us. What is important and plays a crucial role in mobile phone cameras is something else. It is the “Light Energy” which determines the total amount of light it receives while it is capturing data. In the case of LED this is much greater than it is with the Xenon.

The Xenon flash requires a bulky storage capacitor, but in the case of LED, the supercapacitor used is very thin, usually 2mm. Space is a significant factor that is considered in mobile device design.

The Xenon Flash tube is fragile and susceptible to fracture during drops, where LED has no such issues. Better be careful with your N82 and think twice before you hold it loosely.

The Xenon flash works by discharging an electrolytic capacitor pre-charged to 330v, across a Xenon gas filled tube resulting a intensely bright light. This leads us to two issues. There is a safety problem to fit the highly charged capacitor without triggering other circuits. This also requires much energy than the LED, so the 2nd one is absolutely going to be a matter of battery power in mobile phones.

The Xenon flash requires a mechanical shutter resulting extra cost, power, and space where the LED can be used with a rolling shutter.

Video capturing requires a separate LED flash for Xenon flash devices.

The recharging of electrolytic capacitor in Xenon flash takes more time than the supercapacitor in LED flash, in between photos.

The electrolytic capacitors charge can be only used for flashing process but the supercapacitors charge used in LED flash can be used for other requirements too, like flash pulse, RF Transmission for GPRS, uudio and HDD for storing audio and video. This would have been big hardware issue for sure.
    http://thenokiablog.com/2009/01/06/w...-on-nokia-n97/
    Last edited by vlad0; 05-01-2013 at 10:03 PM.
    aximtreo and Vallos like this.
    05-01-2013 09:52 PM
614 ... 1516171819 ...