Lumia 928 FINALLY LEAKED!!

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I constantly see people claiming android has viruses but I have yet to see an android device with a virus besides articles posted on the verge or phonearena. I'm not saying it's impossible but it's not like the damn things ship with viruses.

Agree. I'm not saying there isn't potential for harmful apps with android, but I think it's a bit overblown to generate hits on news articles.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I constantly see people claiming android has viruses but I have yet to see an android device with a virus besides articles posted on the verge or phonearena. I'm not saying it's impossible but it's not like the damn things ship with viruses.

Viruses, maybe not in the sense of PC viruses as we know. But the Google Play Store is full of malicious apps, that contain spyware, adware and such. I just downloaded an app yesterday that appeared to be legit. But low and behold as soon as it installed, I started getting slammed by ad notifications. So not a virus, but an annoyance. And that isn't the first time I was hit with that. Just like on a PC, you have to be careful with what you click. But you would think Google would actually have some screening process to keep these apps out of the store. But, maybe they are more concerned about quantity of apps then quality of apps. I guess it also goes hand in hand with Google anyway. I can deal with free apps that display ads in their app to make their profit. I understand that, but to be slammed with ad after ad in my notifications by an app is an annoyance. They make my tablet look like a mobile billboard.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I see. That sounds more like spyware or adware than a virus. None the less that does sound annoying.

Yes it is adware. For the most part, adware, spyware and other malware tend to get lumped under the name virus. Virus is a general term for any program that does something malicious or just does something that it is not intended to do.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
This is a bit "geeky" but I thought I will share..

So if the 928 has a Xenon flash, that means that they have to use a mechanical shutter, instead of an electronic one. I remember reading something on the difference between the two a while back, and I found the following:

Why Digital Cameras Have Mechanical Shutters

"A simple mechanical shutter can be used to turn the entire sensor array on/off during the exposure. This eliminates the need for added electronics at each pixel location that would be used to turn on/off the pixel and store the charge (accumulated light). By using a mechanical shutter, a simpler, less expensive, and more efficient sensor can be used: one that has a higher fill factor (uses more of each pixel to actually capture light). "

So by using a mechanical shutter instead of an electronic one, you actually get to use the full size of the pixels... and at 1.4 microns, that might make a slight difference in image quality between the 920 and the 928,. i.e better than the 920.

That's all a theory, and assuming that they are indeed using a mechanical shutter, and a sensor that can fully take advantage of it. Nokia have a long history of using mechanical shutter.. every one of their phones with a xenon flash has one, so I don't see why stop now. Also.. I don't think you could have a xenon flash without one...or at least not if you want to do it right.

Some other interesting points on xenon / led

The “Light Power” (which determines how bright it appears) of the Xenon flash is much greater than of it in the LED flash. But though this is the fact, it fools us. What is important and plays a crucial role in mobile phone cameras is something else. It is the “Light Energy” which determines the total amount of light it receives while it is capturing data. In the case of LED this is much greater than it is with the Xenon.

The Xenon flash requires a bulky storage capacitor, but in the case of LED, the supercapacitor used is very thin, usually 2mm. Space is a significant factor that is considered in mobile device design.

The Xenon Flash tube is fragile and susceptible to fracture during drops, where LED has no such issues. Better be careful with your N82 and think twice before you hold it loosely.

The Xenon flash works by discharging an electrolytic capacitor pre-charged to 330v, across a Xenon gas filled tube resulting a intensely bright light. This leads us to two issues. There is a safety problem to fit the highly charged capacitor without triggering other circuits. This also requires much energy than the LED, so the 2nd one is absolutely going to be a matter of battery power in mobile phones.

The Xenon flash requires a mechanical shutter resulting extra cost, power, and space where the LED can be used with a rolling shutter.

Video capturing requires a separate LED flash for Xenon flash devices.

The recharging of electrolytic capacitor in Xenon flash takes more time than the supercapacitor in LED flash, in between photos.

The electrolytic capacitors charge can be only used for flashing process but the supercapacitors charge used in LED flash can be used for other requirements too, like flash pulse, RF Transmission for GPRS, uudio and HDD for storing audio and video. This would have been big hardware issue for sure.
http://thenokiablog.com/2009/01/06/why-is-xenon-flash-missing-on-nokia-n97/

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Android accounts for most mobile malware, says F-Secure | ZDNet
Last year, 79% of all mobile malware was on Android devices. In the last quarter of last year, that number rose to 96%. The talks of malware on Android is not inflated.

Yes it is adware. For the most part, adware, spyware and other malware tend to get lumped under the name virus. Virus is a general term for any program that does something malicious or just does something that it is not intended to do.
Myself, I (albeit incorrectly) lump all the malware (virus, trojan, adware, spyware, etc) together when I say "virus" in mixed company.

This is a bit "geeky" but I thought I will share..

So if the 928 has a Xenon flash, that means that they have to use a mechanical shutter, instead of an electronic one. I remember reading something on the difference between the two a while back, and I found the following:

Why Digital Cameras Have Mechanical Shutters

"A simple mechanical shutter can be used to turn the entire sensor array on/off during the exposure. This eliminates the need for added electronics at each pixel location that would be used to turn on/off the pixel and store the charge (accumulated light). By using a mechanical shutter, a simpler, less expensive, and more efficient sensor can be used: one that has a higher fill factor (uses more of each pixel to actually capture light). "

So by using a mechanical shutter instead of an electronic one, you actually get to use the full size of the pixels... and at 1.4 microns, that might make a slight difference in image quality between the 920 and the 928,. i.e better than the 920.

That's all a theory, and assuming that they are indeed using a mechanical shutter, and a sensor that can fully take advantage of it. Nokia have a long history of using mechanical shutter.. every one of their phones with a xenon flash has one, so I don't see why stop now. Also.. I don't think you could have a xenon flash without one...or at least not if you want to do it right.

Some other interesting points on xenon / led

The “Light Power” (which determines how bright it appears) of the Xenon flash is much greater than of it in the LED flash. But though this is the fact, it fools us. What is important and plays a crucial role in mobile phone cameras is something else. It is the “Light Energy” which determines the total amount of light it receives while it is capturing data. In the case of LED this is much greater than it is with the Xenon.

The Xenon flash requires a bulky storage capacitor, but in the case of LED, the supercapacitor used is very thin, usually 2mm. Space is a significant factor that is considered in mobile device design.

The Xenon Flash tube is fragile and susceptible to fracture during drops, where LED has no such issues. Better be careful with your N82 and think twice before you hold it loosely.

The Xenon flash works by discharging an electrolytic capacitor pre-charged to 330v, across a Xenon gas filled tube resulting a intensely bright light. This leads us to two issues. There is a safety problem to fit the highly charged capacitor without triggering other circuits. This also requires much energy than the LED, so the 2nd one is absolutely going to be a matter of battery power in mobile phones.

The Xenon flash requires a mechanical shutter resulting extra cost, power, and space where the LED can be used with a rolling shutter.

Video capturing requires a separate LED flash for Xenon flash devices.

The recharging of electrolytic capacitor in Xenon flash takes more time than the supercapacitor in LED flash, in between photos.

The electrolytic capacitors charge can be only used for flashing process but the supercapacitors charge used in LED flash can be used for other requirements too, like flash pulse, RF Transmission for GPRS, uudio and HDD for storing audio and video. This would have been big hardware issue for sure.
Why Is Xenon Flash Missing on Nokia N97?

Unless they came up with a new, power-efficient way of doing it! :wink: Who knows?

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
F-Secure is a reliable source, too.

Problem with android is it has similar risks to "desktop" windows but doesn't give you the protection nor full control and access to see whats going on that windows desktop gives you (unless you hack it), thus the user is much more vulnerable.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
This article just went online about an hour ago regarding Lumia phones and the 928.

Nokia Lumia 928 to Launch with 41-MP Lyto Camera, Instagram, Temple Run 2 & Jetpack Joyride? - International Business Times

"The much-awaited, Verizon-exclusive Nokia Windows 8 phone Lumia 928 seems to be gearing for app accompaniments and a Lytro camera feature in time for the device's release."

"Digital Trends reports that Nokia may be readying to release major boosts in the camera feature for its Lumia flagship phones. One of these major changes involves the integration of a 41-megapixel camera into the Lumia phones"

I could see this 41 megapixel feature being part of the May 14th announcement in London for next gen phones. But not sure if this would really be a feature on the 928 as the article seems to indicate. I checked the Digital Trends website, as this is mentioned as the source for the above article, but did not find the article mentioning this.

moh maya

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
This article just went online about an hour ago regarding Lumia phones and the 928.

Nokia Lumia 928 to Launch with 41-MP Lyto Camera, Instagram, Temple Run 2 & Jetpack Joyride? - International Business Times

"The much-awaited, Verizon-exclusive Nokia Windows 8 phone Lumia 928 seems to be gearing for app accompaniments and a Lytro camera feature in time for the device's release."

"Digital Trends reports that Nokia may be readying to release major boosts in the camera feature for its Lumia flagship phones. One of these major changes involves the integration of a 41-megapixel camera into the Lumia phones"

Unlikely; Verge reported that Nokia has just taken a stake Pelican Imaging, which is trying to get Lytro style cameras to smart phones - which, to me, suggests we'll see something like Lytro in about a year or two at the earliest. It sounds like someone at International Business Times read too much into this report.

Ofcourse, it is possible that Nokia worked with Pelican on the 928, was very impressed with them and decided to get a stake, since their site says they created their first array camera for phones in 2011, but this seems less likely. I hope I am wrong! :)

Nokia reportedly investing in Lytro-style array camera startup | The Verge

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If the AT&T-Nokia deal ends the 9th then the phone will not be announced until the 9th.

but, how soon before did AT&T annouce the 920 ? It was like a month before. As far as I know, you can annouce anything but, as long as it's not for sale in that window....

Oh, well, I dont even know if I am going to get this phone now anyway but, still interested in seeing the final released specs on it..

waym1962

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I know this is unrelated but I was wondering if Honestabe is still hearing anything about a Cyan 822. My fiancee wants an 822 when I get the 928 but she would prefer to not get a black or white phone. Just didn't know whether that was still on the table. Especially considering we've only seen black and white 928s which makes me sad cause I don't want a black or white phone either.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I know this is unrelated but I was wondering if Honestabe is still hearing anything about a Cyan 822. My fiancee wants an 822 when I get the 928 but she would prefer to not get a black or white phone. Just didn't know whether that was still on the table. Especially considering we've only seen black and white 928s which makes me sad cause I don't want a black or white phone either.
I believe he said that it was going to be a mothers day promotion. Which is probably around the time the 928 is coming out. My girlfriend is looking @ the same color either in the 822 or 928.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

In one of the early leaks of the 928 showing up in Verizon's system, it showed 4 different available colors. Black, white, red, and cyan if I remember correctly.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm..... Mothers' Day promotion..... May 9 is 3 days before that.... Not much time for promo, but possible.... :-/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)