Anybody else excited?

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Anybody else excited about Catwalk?
I'm actually slightly more keen to see Catwalk revealed than EOS. Mostly because i just want compact device with no nonsense, iPhone of the Windows Phone world. Couple of years ago I would have wanted the device with everything inside, but after iPad (now Vivo Tab) my phone use has transformed to be more of a tool than media device.
Also i'm sucker for great looking and feeling devices and i'm really interested to see how the aluminium Catwalk ends up.

Planning to do the switch from Lumia 920, though certainly still keeping Lumia 920.

medicin3man

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPhone 5 and I am ready to get the WP8. I am going to wait to see what the Catwalk looks like before I make the plunge.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I really don't think any smartphone would be considered a "no nonsense" device. The 920 is a pretty big and chunky phone, as big as any 5" Android phone and even thicker. The catwalk isn't going to deviate that much from that size even if its thinner. It won't be compact like the iPhone, which is only 4". The iPhone is going to continue to increase in size as well, due to market demand. All smartphones can basically do the same things nowadays with the same apps so they are all equally convoluted. You might be referring to the phablets or the Pureview 808, both which are considered niche products that have less bleeding edge dimensions. All the mainstream phones are the same size or smaller than the chunky 920.

Yes I want to see the catwalk. Not only will it be on T-mobile, which is my carrier, but after the disappointment of the 928, this will be the next thing to watch out for. However, I am still set on the EOS. People complain about thickness too much on a phone. Point and shoot cameras that people pocket all the time are 20-30mm or more. My old flip phones that are 25mm+ and old black and white Nokias that are 20mm+ are just as pocketable. Sure there's a bulge, but that's about it. It doesn't hinder walking or running and the phones are far more robust and easier to hold and use since they are not slivers of paper with zero surface area to hold. The 808 Pureview was 18mm at its thickest, which would be considered slim only five years ago. The new EOS will probably be a bit thinner, maybe 15-16mm. That is still very compact. Maybe not amazingly thin like an 8mm phone, but still very pocketable, and far more robust.

Thing with me is that I already own 808 PureView and just want thin, quite large screened Windows Phone, but no GS4 width. This time don't really care about the camera at all. In general i guess i should add that i buy quite a bit of phones a year, but I usually end up using phones like iPhone 5, Lumia 800 daily.

I'm also quite anal on really high quality feeling devices and always been huge fan of Nokia's designs (like N9/L800, N8 old E series devices etc) so i can't wait to see what they do with aluminium phones once again.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't like phones that are too thin...it seems uncomfortable to hold - specially the big ones D:
That's why i love my 620...yeah its chubby compared to today's piece of paper but feels solid and great in hand!

Geez thinner is better has also hit smartphone world D: that's sad, cause it kinda of reflects our society >.<

Traldera

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't like phones that are too thin...it seems uncomfortable to hold - specially the big ones D:
That's why i love my 620...yeah its chubby compared to today's piece of paper but feels solid and great in hand!

Geez thinner is better has also hit smartphone world D: that's sad, cause it kinda of reflects our society >.<

I would agree but i like a nice thick silicon shell wrapped around mine, so thinner phones with that usually equate to a nice feel. Currently on an GS2, feels flimsy without the case, just right with it.

If the leaked dimensions on the catwalk are correct, the phone will feel just right with a nice silicone case on it

Bloobed

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes, and no.

A new high-end phone? Yes, I'm excited! But the rumors point to it being the same old dual-core + 1GB RAM -combo, which is really last years spec. It's a fine spec, but will lose spec-to-spec -comparisons against rivals, and makes it less future-proof at this point. I'd be fine with dual-core, but I'd want at least Adreno 320.

Traldera

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, and no.

A new high-end phone? Yes, I'm excited! But the rumors point to it being the same old dual-core + 1GB RAM -combo, which is really last years spec. It's a fine spec, but will lose spec-to-spec -comparisons against rivals, and makes it less future-proof at this point. I'd be fine with dual-core, but I'd want at least Adreno 320.
Original catwalk leaks suggested improved CPU with the 320 graphics. This is probably what we are going to get.

Whats happened is most websites have failed to research properly and have posted 928 specs as 'catwalk'. This has a domino effect on other websites, then becomes the 'accepted true catwalk spec'.

Nokia know the 920 is behind on specs, so will likely boost them in catwalk. It wont be a massive leap as WP8 doesnt need it. However CPU+A320 is more than enough to keep it competitive.

icyrock1

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site

Agreed! I'd rather my phone be sturdy/strong/durable than thin. I can handle the few extra millimeters thickness and gram's of weight.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Agreed! I'd rather my phone be sturdy/strong/durable than thin. I can handle the few extra millimeters thickness and gram's of weight.

it's weird because on paper it really is just a few milliliters different, but when I hold it in my hand there's an obvious difference...i don't know why but I think it has to do with the fact that a lot of phones have some sort of tapering, especially the 8x, so it actually feels thinner. That's why I would like to hold the phone first before I decide. :)

Traldera

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Is the Catwalk exclusive to T Mobile or will ATT have it as well?

Too early to say. The leaks have been so messy I wouldnt trust any of them when it comes to small details like that. Although based on the fact the 920 was ATT, would be odd for ATT to not stock its replacement. Unless TM outbid them to the point they deemed it not worth it

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

Thin was also hit back in 2006 when Samsung was making its ultathin series (6-7mm phones) to fight again Nokia's N-series and E-series phones. it did fail miserably back then.

Trends come and go. At the moment people are more open for the device expend everywhere else, than adding mm or two on thickness. I don't personally really care how thick the phone is in general, but super thin aluminium Nokia fascinates me for some reason. :excited:

medicin3man

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
SO my next question is: I really would like to see the Catwalk soon, but I am jonesing to switch to WP8. Now I need to know if I should take the plunge now and possibly covet the catwalk when it comes out, or wait for the catwalk, even though we dont know when it is going to be released.

I have another post on the WP8 section with another question. First, my issue was should I go to WP8 from ios 5. Then it was should I get 8x or 920. Now its shopuld I get 920 or wait for catwalk. This is ridiculous.

Traldera

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
SO my next question is: I really would like to see the Catwalk soon, but I am jonesing to switch to WP8. Now I need to know if I should take the plunge now and possibly covet the catwalk when it comes out, or wait for the catwalk, even though we dont know when it is going to be released.

I have another post on the WP8 section with another question. First, my issue was should I go to WP8 from ios 5. Then it was should I get 8x or 920. Now its shopuld I get 920 or wait for catwalk. This is ridiculous.

If you can cope with what you have for another 3 months wait, if your current phone is broken or for some reason unsuitable buy the 920 now

BenTR

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
My wife keeps taking my Lumia 920 when I am not looking so she can use it. I hope Nokia makes a sweet phone for AT&T so she can upgrade to it, and the tables will turn.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I would be more excited if they went with a better codename than "Catwalk". Both "Catwalk" and "Tiara" aren't exactly too appealing when it comes to smartphones.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm excited about the Catwalk. My best friend and I were discussing it last night and she said she's interested in getting it to upgrade from her currently Lumia 710. I may just hold onto my 810 for awhile yet since I only got it in November, but I definitely want to see the Catwalk up close and personal.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The catwalk will be a minor improvement from the 920. The real jump off will come around November. At any rate, the 920 and it's current specs handle pretty much anything you can throw at it right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo