Anybody else excited?

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Well, I keep reading about a possible May or June release...wouldnt we be seeing some pics of the dang thing?
I'm sure we will see press shot from evleaks towards end of the month or early next month.

The catwalk will be a minor improvement from the 920. The real jump off will come around November. At any rate, the 920 and it's current specs handle pretty much anything you can throw at it right now.

Absolutely. As a Lumia 920 owner i doubt upgrading from Lumia 920 to Catwalk will make much sense for most.

Catwalk has always been referred as Lumia 920 replacement, EOS in a other hand as successor. EOS will likely come alongside with the next OS update among HTC's new flagship, like Lumia 920.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Tissotti...I was thinking of getting a 808 and using on Tmobile or the 521 and then a better phone later with the 521 as a spare. What do you think? I am most interested in your thoughts on your 808.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Tissotti...I was thinking of getting a 808 and using on Tmobile or the 521 and then a better phone later with the 521 as a spare. What do you think? I am most interested in your thoughts on your 808.

fwiw - if you know you have 3.5G or HSPA in your area (which ever you want to refer to it as), then i would say go for the 808 - its more money, but its also the BEST cameraphone out there by a long way... i have migrated from N8 to 808 and waiting probably for the EOS now before i go forward to WP8.x, but i LOVE my 808... some things a little off, but if you have used Symbian you know what they will be, i dont use the built in browser for much, i use opera mobile for most of it... I use facinate for FB updates...
There is nothing out there that can match the 808 - see PureView Club: The PureView Community for photos info etc. on the 920 and 808...
And yes you will get HSPA or 3.5G as its shown on the 808... I cant comment about TMo though, as i use ATT, and i think their data speed is not that good here in Houston.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I have read that they may have trouble switching between 3g and 3.5g and it was a problem that was likely to happen more on At&T. Have you had any issues like that. Lots of times things get blown out of proportions on the internet.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I have read that they may have trouble switching between 3g and 3.5g and it was a problem that was likely to happen more on At&T. Have you had any issues like that. Lots of times things get blown out of proportions on the internet.
never had any problem switching between different speed data. either manually or automatically, i have it set to use 3g or GSM depending on whats available... i have a small widget i use when i want to use skype, force turn on 3g (it connects to 3.5g for me where i am usually), once im done, i'll sometimes leave it on and surf or ill switch it off and force it back to GSM and save battery...
Having said that, battery life is pretty good, i can have it last about 2 days, where i talk on skype for about 30 to 45 mins each day, using 3g and then use wifi when im home for the occasional surfing or playing music etc and of course practice using that camera.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

I gather you have used Anna or Belle Symbian phones? Because if you have used to iOS, Android or Windows Phone daily and try to migrate to Symbian, that simply wont work. Coming from a big Nokia fan.
As a audio player (both N8 and 808 PV are known for their legendary 3.5mm audio quality, if you have headphones to hear the difference) and camera on 808 PureView is actually pretty damn good money, compared to something like Galaxy Camera for example.
808 PureView is still only piece of hardware after original iPhone that really made me wow even after all the hype. That camera defines logic and you can't believe you are using a camera phone.

Still I would never really recommend any of my friends at getting the phone. It's very specialized piece of hardware that the buyers already knew they wanted right when it was announced.

If you have money to spare and as the price has come quite a bit down, go for it. Though again, I could never recommend 808 PV over iOS, Android or WP products out there. UI is far from iOS and WP smoothness, development around the OS stopped last year (though in reality been down for couple of years) and there are still bugs with WiFi for example.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I had a cell phone 5+ years ago. So I have no os preconceptions. I don't do social media ect so maybe Symbian would be good enough. The wifi bugs could be a concern though. The 521 nokia will probably get the nod though as it is the cheapest way to see if I can replace my land line. It would also make a good spare if I bought a better one later on.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
No chance of this phone coming to Verizon?

I used to always want the flagship top of the line phone. Now that I have a Surface I don't really want that anymore. I just want the phone to be small and pretty! (and great camera)

if I didn't just renew my contract with Verizon, I may have switched for this phone.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
No chance of this phone coming to Verizon?

I used to always want the flagship top of the line phone. Now that I have a Surface I don't really want that anymore. I just want the phone to be small and pretty! (and great camera)

if I didn't just renew my contract with Verizon, I may have switched for this phone.

Rumors haven't mentioned anything about Verizon. Though in a same time neither has the AT&T exclusive deal raised with Catwal either, so who knows.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I am really excited for Catwalk, but I really hope that it will come to market by the start of June at the latest. An end of June release places it too close to a late October / early November rollout for the next generation of phones. I don't wanna get stuck in the waiting game any longer.

If Catwalk is simply a re-packaged 920 without any hardware upgrades, then I hope that it is going to be launched across all carriers with a very competitive price point less than the cost of an off-contract 920. Hopefully it can be the "sorry for all the 920 exclusivity BS" present from Nokia to those of us who have been unable to give Nokia our money for the last 6 months due to 920 carrier exclusivity in the US and Canada.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
No way that's gonna happen. If it's gonna be on T-mobile, the price is gonna be $200+ on contract. T-mobile doesn't care to subsidize. The off-contract is gonna be more expensive than the 920. It's a thinner, prettier version of the 920 in metal that will probably have OLED screen. All that doesn't come cheap. Factor in the fact that Nokia phones are expensive, the "Nokia tax", means its gonna be $$$ regardless of on or off contract. Don't be fooled by the $99 or low MSRP when the 920 was released on At&t. Nokia still thinks its a premium company, and matches or exceeds other flagship phone makers in price, including the iPhone, in unsubsidized markets like Europe. You can't even unlock the At&t 920 and the second hand market is still insane. These dying companies really need to learn some humility and drop down a tier or two on pricing. HTC is a deadman walking and the HTC One still costs a fortune unsubsidized. iPhone pricing without the iPhone clout. Do you care about marketshare, or do you care about suddenly and magically making the same sort of margins and profits you did of yesteryear? Because you can't do the latter without the former, and you can't do the former without lowering the price and building a healthier fanbase and name recognition from your ubiquity. Unless you have some smart talking firey CEO who thinks he's the Messiah. Elop is more of a starchy potato with glasses than a pop culture icon.

Don't be fooled? They did still sell it way cheaper than 8X or any other flagship on AT&T. The 599 euros here in Europe was calculated as their supplies where so small, they sold everything they could produce (that wasn't much). Lumia 620 with slightly better hardware than 8S was selling on a lower price.
Lumia 800 had 230 euros price drop to around 200 euros last year, Lumia 520, 620 are all among the cheapest phones in the hardware category there are. If anything Nokia has gone for price competition, something that's never a good thing in business. Market share=success thinking was the new cool thing back in 80's in business's and it failed miserably.

Chill, these are just a cell phone companies, not larger than life things mate. :smile: I guess after a while you have seen enough of these tech switching places and going away that you don't get so emotional about all this.

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So is there any evidence that this phone is real? I plan to switch to Tmo next month when the 920 can be unlocked from att and am debating getting a Rogers or dev unlocked 920 from ebay but if this is real would probably be better to wait for this instead.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
So is there any evidence that this phone is real? I plan to switch to Tmo next month when the 920 can be unlocked from att and am debating getting a Rogers or dev unlocked 920 from ebay but if this is real would probably be better to wait for this instead.

The rumor is that this will be released/announced on/around May 15th - coinciding with a London event that Nokia is having...
see:
http://mynokiablog.com/2013/04/04/rumour-nokia-catwalk-launch-date-15th-may-2013-london/
and
http://mynokiablog.com/2013/04/05/r...ed-8-4mm-slim-2000mah-f2-0-with-ois-may-15th/

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Anybody else excited about Catwalk?
I'm actually slightly more keen to see Catwalk revealed than EOS. Mostly because i just want compact device with no nonsense, iPhone of the Windows Phone world. Couple of years ago I would have wanted the device with everything inside, but after iPad (now Vivo Tab) my phone use has transformed to be more of a tool than media device.
Also i'm sucker for great looking and feeling devices and i'm really interested to see how the aluminium Catwalk ends up.

Planning to do the switch from Lumia 920, though certainly still keeping Lumia 920.

It will look great, and if it is indeed anodized aluminum like the iPhone 5, I can assure you that it will not chip away like the iphone 5 does.

You bring up an interesting point.. I think a lot of people are using their phones for media consumption, and that is why a lot of people want that 5 inch screen, but I think they better way to do it is to get a phone that handles nicely (iphone 5 size) and it has solid "phone fundamentals" such as voice sound quality, reception, battery life, connectivity stack, bright display with good contrast for outdoor use, durable... etc.

And for the rest.. just get a nice Windows 8 tablet/hybrid with Haswell or Temash.. real gaming, great touch experience, spot on for media consumption.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077