06-19-2013 05:27 PM
75 123
tools
    Remember is it against the LAW to SIM unlock any phone made after Jan 31st 2013 in the US. So if Verizon SIM locks it, it would be against the law for you to mod the phone to change it to use on another carrier.

Stupid law....It just so happens I was talking about it with someone the other day and looked it up.
    Wow...I know US has a tendency to push some stupid policies through but that is just stupid. Why on earth would they even do that? Its such a minority of customers that do it. I doubt its even financially viable to enforce it.
    05-09-2013 05:23 AM
    I gave up unlimited last year and never went over my data plan. There is WiFi everywhere I go so its no big deal for me.
    05-09-2013 05:35 AM
    Remember is it against the LAW to SIM unlock any phone made after Jan 31st 2013 in the US. So if Verizon SIM locks it, it would be against the law for you to mod the phone to change it to use on another carrier.

Stupid law....It just so happens I was talking about it with someone the other day and looked it up.
    But it is also a violation of Verizon's agreement with the FCC to lock phones to their network. So it will be SIM unlocked.

Iirc, Verizon can't lock their LTE phones. It was a provision that came with some of the spectrum they bought a little while ago. That's why the iPhone 5 and the 8X and such are unlocked.
    05-09-2013 06:25 AM
    Verizon wouldn't let me do the device payment plan for whatever reason even tho I've been with them over 10 years and paid on time every month now im trying to decide should I jump the gun and fork over my unlimited data..i was going to add a line but even if I did that it would be cheaper to go share everything 2 lines with my employee discounts wit 4gb runs me 133 a month decisions decisions...i was paying 139 before the discount with just one line

If I did a upgrade I'd be at roughly 96 a month with 4 gigs

Tough decision...
    06-04-2013 11:55 AM
    I've been with them over 10 years and paid on time every month..
    Don't mean to sound meanor go off on a tangent, but WHY would you think Verizon owes ANY customer ANY thing? They are a multi-billion dollar company. They have NO loyalty to any single customer. We are just dollars and cents to them. Do NOT think they owe you anything. They are out to make money. That's not wrong, that's their JOB.
    06-04-2013 02:19 PM
    Don't mean to sound meanor go off on a tangent, but WHY would you think Verizon owes ANY customer ANY thing? They are a multi-billion dollar company. They have NO loyalty to any single customer. We are just dollars and cents to them. Do NOT think they owe you anything. They are out to make money. That's not wrong, that's their JOB.
    that's what they said the device payment plan was for the long tenure customers who pay their bill on time. Which I why im not understanding why I couldn't do it.
    06-04-2013 02:36 PM
    I did. There's no way I lose my Unlimited data with an upgrade.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    06-04-2013 10:17 PM
    And that has been proven over the years. Verizon used to be a great company to be with, as they hand a ton of perks for long term customers, New every 2 (a credit up to $100 off a new phone at promtional pricing), detailed billing and lot of other little perks. One by one they pulled them away. So has all the other companies.

Verizon has the best coverage in most areas (at least where I live and work) but, if AT&T got TMOUS when they tried, they would of been able to compete with Verizon.

Sooner or later these companies will realise that it's better to keep a happy customer than just trying to get bodies on their network. Some of these perks will come back over time becuase of this. If you can find another carrier that has coverage in your area besides unlimited data, there is nothing holding you to your carrier any more, you can even take your number with you.

If the coverage is as good and the data/voice plans are the same or better, and maybe you save $5-10 a month, Why would anyone stay ? There is no perks any more...and the big companies know that.

Verizon wouldn't let me do the device payment plan for whatever reason even tho I've been with them over 10 years and paid on time every month now im trying to decide should I jump the gun and fork over my unlimited data..i was going to add a line but even if I did that it would be cheaper to go share everything 2 lines with my employee discounts wit 4gb runs me 133 a month decisions decisions...i was paying 139 before the discount with just one line

If I did a upgrade I'd be at roughly 96 a month with 4 gigs

Tough decision...
    Save up some change, wait another month or so. You will find babied 928's for around $250-350. Just buy a used one.

Verizon (from when I talked to them) the insurance is tied to the number, not the phone, so you should be able to add it to used device. I have been able to with all my devices, and most have been used devices to save a little money.

Also, the phone came out about a month ago now, every 928 phone (unless you went swimming with it) is under Nokia warranty as it comes with a 1 year warranty. If you picked up a used one this week, you would still have at least 11 months of warranty left on it.
    deadwrong03 likes this.
    06-05-2013 09:00 AM
    I don't think OP meant they "owed" him, just stated that they "would not" let him do that. I agree with you 100% that their job is to make money. However, excellent customer service and loyalty to their customers is part of that or should be. Folks at Verizon I'm sure are smart enough to realize that they are top dog because of the coverage/network they have( not their Cust. Serv., stores, plans, training, etc.). Without superior network/coverage that they are like the rest.

later
    06-05-2013 09:18 AM
    I have had my phone for two weeks and my allotment is only 272 MB remaining for the next 14 days. As a result, I decided to up our data plan right away from 1 GB to 2 GB. Naturally, I'd rather pay $10 per month now rather than $15/month per 1 GB. I suppose the live tiles do come at a price.
    06-06-2013 05:44 PM
    Are u serious? The lives tiles shouldn't. Be eating up that much data
    06-07-2013 03:44 PM
    I have had my phone for two weeks and my allotment is only 272 MB remaining for the next 14 days. As a result, I decided to up our data plan right away from 1 GB to 2 GB. Naturally, I'd rather pay $10 per month now rather than $15/month per 1 GB. I suppose the live tiles do come at a price.
    I think the 4G LTE may be what is eating up the data.
    06-09-2013 02:19 PM
    Well for what its worth I took the upgrade and kept my unlimited data. I bought at the Microsoft store, and had been eligible for a week or so before. I had a friend who had a similar experience back around the holidays with an HTC 8X bought using the upgrade at Best Buy. I'm not sure if it is due to a legacy corporate discount either that I have which gets me unlimited Corporate data for $25/mo...

Used about 5GB I would say in the weeks since this came out.
    06-10-2013 12:40 AM
    Well for what its worth I took the upgrade and kept my unlimited data. I bought at the Microsoft store, and had been eligible for a week or so before. I had a friend who had a similar experience back around the holidays with an HTC 8X bought using the upgrade at Best Buy. I'm not sure if it is due to a legacy corporate discount either that I have which gets me unlimited Corporate data for $25/mo...

Used about 5GB I would say in the weeks since this came out.
    did u have to do anything special to keep the unlimited data? I have a discount on my data as well but I don't think im willing to try like u did lol the reps told me once u upgrade that unlimited is gone and its no longer in their systems anymore to put it back
    06-10-2013 06:09 AM
    Not that I'm aware of. Originally, I had thought that it had worked for my friend because it was bought with the upgrade but not activated for a few weeks. So I told MS at the store not to activate mine. However, they told me they had to activate it when I bought it for it to work in Verizon's system. So they immediately activated it and from what I can tell, I still have it. When I log into My Verizon Wireless it shows unlimited. They just generated my first statement so I will check that and see if there is anything worrisome.
    deadwrong03 likes this.
    06-11-2013 09:06 AM
    [CODE][/CODE]I bought mine on Amazon and used their Store Card for a DIY 6-month payment plan. Pretty happy about it. Good service compared to the Verizon store, where they barely knew what I was talking about. Amazon is 0% interest for 6 months but WATCH your statement carefully and pay it in full first. I don't advocate opening a new credit account and using it to finance the phone.
    06-17-2013 07:42 PM
    I bought mine on Amazon and used their Store Card for a DIY 6-month payment plan. Pretty happy about it. Good service compared to the Verizon store, where they barely knew what I was talking about. Amazon is 0% interest for 6 months but WATCH your statement carefully and pay it in full first. I don't advocate opening a new credit account and using it to finance the phone.
    how do u get that card? and how much is amazon's full price?
    06-17-2013 10:01 PM
    Just an update. I got mine on release date and I checked the DataSense one month later and it showed 4GB on Cellular and 11GB on WiFi. Therefore, I will be keeping my unlimited plan for now. I will keep checking it and see if my pattern changes any.
    06-18-2013 11:01 AM
    I bought mine off contract (25% discount from list as I have a friend who works for Nokia). Kept unlimited. Actually, I am coming off a Palm Pre 2 with unlimited MHS so I had to add the $30 unlimited tethering. 2.5 weeks in and I am over 5gb of data.
    06-19-2013 07:00 AM
    I bought mine off contract (25% discount from list as I have a friend who works for Nokia). Kept unlimited. Actually, I am coming off a Palm Pre 2 with unlimited MHS so I had to add the $30 unlimited tethering. 2.5 weeks in and I am over 5gb of data.
    I thought they would not let u use any discount off the full retail price of the phone? I have a discount on my account but they wouldn't let me use it on the phone even tho I get 20% off of accessories
    06-19-2013 08:38 AM
    I thought they would not let u use any discount off the full retail price of the phone? I have a discount on my account but they wouldn't let me use it on the phone even tho I get 20% off of accessories
    It was not a Verizon discount. It was a Nokia Friends and Family.
    deadwrong03 likes this.
    06-19-2013 08:48 AM
    I actually switched from unlimited to share everything for two reasons:

#1 I've had unlimited for 2yrs and I've never used more than 1.5gb in a period
    #2 I wanted the free wifi hotspot option
    #3 Data sense makes data usage a lot less worrisome
    #4 Share everything is cheaper
    #5 Getting the phone subsidized is cheaper
    #6 Verizon can throttle your unlimited if you do actually use a ton of it
    #7 There is no guarantee Verizon won't pull the plug on unlimited at any given time
    #8 My SO already was on metered data

If I watched a ton of Netflix then it would make sense, but for regular web/game and a little bit of audio streaming 2-3gb per phone was more than enough for me, and the cost savings plus wifi hotspot bonus made sense.
    How well does Data Sense work? Also, does it slow the data speed down?
    06-19-2013 05:03 PM
    My statement isn't opinion at all. It's a simple thing to understand if you try. Your contract has an expiration date. After that date, anything goes. Neither party is bound by a contract that is expired. Doesn't take a third grade education to realize that if you're not stuck in denial-land.
    Don't they only have to give you thirty days notice, even if you're under a contract? I believe this was how they got me off my unlimited international data plan a few years ago.
    06-19-2013 05:11 PM
    If you have an unlimited data plan, you can get unlimited tethering data (which is a subcomponent of the unlimited data) for $30/month now. You can also add and cancel out the tethering at any time and pay a pro-rated amount for that month. I've done that 3-4 times over the last 5 months.
    Do I understand that I can add the hotspot feature to my line, which has unlimited data, today and I'd have an unlimited hotspot feature as well? If so, great because I'm going on vacation next month.
    06-19-2013 05:23 PM
    did u have to do anything special to keep the unlimited data? I have a discount on my data as well but I don't think im willing to try like u did lol the reps told me once u upgrade that unlimited is gone and its no longer in their systems anymore to put it back
    When I worked for a Verizon dealer, we were able to have the unlimited data added back, but only if the customer returned the upgrade, or we made a mistake. We'd have to call channel support to have the account notated, then we'd have to contact out account manager to submit a form.
    06-19-2013 05:27 PM
75 123