Anyone getting 928 @ retail cost to keep Unlimited?

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I will only if it has an microsd card slot if not, I will skip on to the next WP on Verizon or get a z10.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I actually switched from unlimited to share everything for two reasons:

#1 I've had unlimited for 2yrs and I've never used more than 1.5gb in a period
#2 I wanted the free wifi hotspot option
#3 Data sense makes data usage a lot less worrisome
#4 Share everything is cheaper
#5 Getting the phone subsidized is cheaper
#6 Verizon can throttle your unlimited if you do actually use a ton of it
#7 There is no guarantee Verizon won't pull the plug on unlimited at any given time
#8 My SO already was on metered data

If I watched a ton of Netflix then it would make sense, but for regular web/game and a little bit of audio streaming 2-3gb per phone was more than enough for me, and the cost savings plus wifi hotspot bonus made sense.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I switched from unlimited to share everything last fall, a couple months before switching from Trophy to 822. I had two Trophies and a dumb phone on my share 1400 (I think... or was it 1200?), and switching to a 6GB share everything plan saves me roughly $30 a month. And since I have only exceeded 4 GB once, I think I'm going to drop it back to a 4GB plan and save another $10. The way I see it, I can always add another 2GB if I exceed the 4, and make it retro to the start of the month. It should be noted that I have a 20% (I think) off for my corporate discount. I'm not sure how the savings would work without a discount.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I was planning to buy it off contract to save my unlimited data.... Also on the MicroSD slot thing, if no MicroSD slot, I might pass but, I will not be willing to pay full retail or sign a contract for it.

daknarr

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

#7 There is no guarantee Verizon won't pull the plug on unlimited at any given time

If I watched a ton of Netflix then it would make sense, but for regular web/game and a little bit of audio streaming 2-3gb per phone was more than enough for me, and the cost savings plus wifi hotspot bonus made sense.

Perhaps they can, but they haven't to my son and I...yet. While I sip data (0.9-1.1gb/month with my HTC Trophy), my son drinks 12-15gb/month regularly. He has an old Thunderbolt which probably has some sort of virus, or something, but this has been the case for over a year, and I've never been throttled. The Thunderbolt is crap now, and he's quite sick of Android, so I got him a Lumina 822 from eBay. It will be interesting to see if there is a difference in data usage,both devices being LTE and all.

To the OP, yes.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps they can, but they haven't to my son and I...yet. While I sip data (0.9-1.1gb/month with my HTC Trophy), my son drinks 12-15gb/month regularly. He has an old Thunderbolt which probably has some sort of virus, or something, but this has been the case for over a year, and I've never been throttled. The Thunderbolt is crap now, and he's quite sick of Android, so I got him a Lumina 822 from eBay. It will be interesting to see if there is a difference in data usage,both devices being LTE and all.

To the OP, yes.

I've noticed this type of usage. With my Trophy, never used over 1.3gb and most times MUCH lower than 1gb. With my 8X, I get full LTE at home and work...it's also faster than my wi-fi connection at both places. So I stream a lot of HD, browse the web more and podcasts music, etc. Now I see from 3-8gb a month so far (about 4-6 is adverage). So the faster connection makes a big difference in usage...

No question, off contract to keep the unlimited data...

Wacft

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

#1 I have about the same usage as you. But I like going traveling for vacation and when I do it goes through the roof. The whole idea of paying for a set portion of data that isn't flexible enough to change based on my schedule is ridiculous. I hope you don't ever go over.
#2 Didn't realize I would loose that, I have it on my trophy right now.
#3 Data sense is nice, can't wait to have it. It would be nice to see that info on the fly.
#4 I thought I priced it out and it wasn't a big enough saving (IMO) to take the cap. I might need to crunch the numbers again though.
#5 I will pay more to be free!
#6 They "can" throttle you when you hit 2GB, but honestly I haven't noticed speed drops the rare months I did go over. I'm willing to bet they were more strict when the number of unlimited plans was higher.
#7 I would like to see them do it. If they were stopping the data service period then yeah they could but they are not. I don't believe they can "make" you sign a contract. And thats what they would be pretty much doing since they are not killing the service. If they do however pull the plug it will be announced ahead of time and I will adjust. I can't predict the future so why worry about it? If I could I wouldn't be going insane waiting on the 928 lol.
#8 Not sure what "SO" is.

Wacft

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed this type of usage. With my Trophy, never used over 1.3gb and most times MUCH lower than 1gb. With my 8X, I get full LTE at home and work...it's also faster than my wi-fi connection at both places. So I stream a lot of HD, browse the web more and podcasts music, etc. Now I see from 3-8gb a month so far (about 4-6 is adverage). So the faster connection makes a big difference in usage...

No question, off contract to keep the unlimited data...

Isn't that crazy? "We are going to offer you even greater wireless coverage and speed! But we are also going to try and convince you around the same time to switch to a capped data plan." This is such a Con. They say "Look this is your average data usage and we can give you a data plan that matches it to save you money. BUT I wont mention that with the faster speeds you will probably start using your phone more AND a lot of content adjust quality based on speed so data consumption will go up."
I expect my data consumption will be much higher when I get the 928.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
#1 I have about the same usage as you. But I like going traveling for vacation and when I do it goes through the roof. The whole idea of paying for a set portion of data that isn't flexible enough to change based on my schedule is ridiculous. I hope you don't ever go over.

Well, I have alerts set up for 50%, 75%, and 90%, so it is kind of hard to just go over without realizing it, and this isn't counting data sense (which also tells you what is causing the data)

If you want more data, you could simply buy more the month you go on vacation @ an extra $10/2gb. The only time it gets really expensive is if you go over 10gb a month regularly. But I think most of the people who do that are heavy streamers or Netflix users which does not describe me.

For me it was an extra $20 or $30/month if I wanted it.

#3 Data sense is nice, can't wait to have it. It would be nice to see that info on the fly.

It also compresses website data, which is nice.

#4 I thought I priced it out and it wasn't a big enough saving (IMO) to take the cap. I might need to crunch the numbers again though.

Depends on your situation and equipment. We use the cell as main phone and had the 1400min/mo plan as well as one of the higher text plans. I had unlimited data and my significant other had 2gb data. With the new shareplan and 6gb of data its about $20 cheaper a month than the unlimited+2. So theoretically I could bump it up to 10GB/mo if I need to and still be paying the same as what I was before.

Sure, my thought though is:
-In my situation even if I paid to by free, my significant other is still on metered data so its not like I can't just not watch the data. And, if I get a tablet its also going to be on metered data. The only thing that won't be is my one phone.
-There is no guarantee that unlimited data will be A) available (30 day notice is all it takes), and B) uncapped for the near future even if you pay extra to get it. They could pull like what other carriers do and start throttling after 500mb of data! I believe they don't even need to notify you for the latter because they already do it (at a higher cap).
-So it boils down to, is it worth paying extra upfront and hedging my bets for just my line, which I have never reached 2gb with even one month out of the past 2 years? For me, probably not. I have a massive amount of MP3s and thus most of my music is locally stored. I do not stream movies because I like to watch them on my projector. I do like to occasionally stream radio and watch youtube videos (Youtube HQ video is fine for a 4.5" screen IMO).
-If my significant other had unlimited data then it might be a little different as it would result in not having to manage any data at all which is nice. But that is not the case.

Also keep in mind, if the shareplan did cost you even only $10/mo less, that is $240 over the course of two years. Say you are on vacation two months out of those two years, even if you had to bump it up by $30 for 6gb data extra each of the two months, its still $180 cheaper over the two years - and that is before you count the extra you paid for the phone upfront. The only way you would get "screwed" by tiered data is if you used so much on a consistent basis that it drove you over the limits to the extent that it exceeded both the cost savings in the plan as well as subsidized phone.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Isn't that crazy? "We are going to offer you even greater wireless coverage and speed! But we are also going to try and convince you around the same time to switch to a capped data plan." This is such a Con. They say "Look this is your average data usage and we can give you a data plan that matches it to save you money. BUT I wont mention that with the faster speeds you will probably start using your phone more AND a lot of content adjust quality based on speed so data consumption will go up."
I expect my data consumption will be much higher when I get the 928.

Yep, Remember Verizon is like any other company, they are there to make money, the more ways they find to pull it from you, their bottom line looks better. I guess for some people who will never go over, and don't mind monitoring their usage, a 2gb plan would do. I hate limiting myself because I would sit and ask myself, should I watch this video because I might go over my monthly data ? That is too much of something to worry about for me.

It's ok for some people but, When I am using about 4-6gb a month, and if I moved to a 2gb plan, this could cost me $50-60 a month for something I am currently paying $30 for, I do have an issue with it.

These plans came about because some iPhone users was using like 50-150gb a month on their iphones (1-2% of users according to AT&T)...I would love to hunt them down and ring their necks...Or make them pay everyone elses fees if they go over 2gb...

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes, albeit indirectly. (I have two lines right now but want to drop or downgrade the second line, which I activated when I bought my HTC Trophy in December 2011, when the 2 year contract is completed. The first line has unlimited data and I'd like to keep the unlimited data, so I'm buying all my smartphones now off-contract.)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
#6 They "can" throttle you when you hit 2GB, but honestly I haven't noticed speed drops the rare months I did go over. I'm willing to bet they were more strict when the number of unlimited plans was higher.
#7 I would like to see them do it. If they were stopping the data service period then yeah they could but they are not. I don't believe they can "make" you sign a contract. And thats what they would be pretty much doing since they are not killing the service. If they do however pull the plug it will be announced ahead of time and I will adjust. I can't predict the future so why worry about it? If I could I wouldn't be going insane waiting on the 928 lol.
#8 Not sure what "SO" is.

1. It's a simple matter if you exceed the plan limit, to go to the web site and change your plan, making it retro to the beginning of the month to increase the data for that month. Vacation? No problem - Data alert tells me if I go over, then I log in and change the plan. Next month, change it back. No worries.
2. I'd look at the bill a little closer. The only way Trophy has free tethering and unlimited data is if someone screwed up. As far as I know, Trophy has never been successfully hacked to make tethering work without VZW knowing. And up until I got Tango and switched plans, I was looking for such a hack.
4. Whether the new plans save or not will depend on your situation. Some will save, some will lose. For me, having had two Trophies (one is now an 822), and a dumb phone, going from the share 1400 minute plan with unlimited on both Trophies, switching to a Share everythign 6GB plan, and having a 20% corporate discount (with both the old and new plans), I save something just over $30 a month. And this month it will be $40, because I cut back to 4GB, since I've only exceeded that once. If I exceed it again, I'll just raise the limit until the next billing cycle. But whether you save or lose by switching to a share everything depends very much on your situation. From what I gather, the more phones, the more savings - but I haven't run the numbers on that, so that could be wrong.
7. Once your two years is up, you're not under contract anymore. Neither you NOR Verizon is bound to the original terms. Which means that they can pull the unlimited at any time. It's not "making" you sign a contract - it's month to month, just like if you leased a house for a year, and at the end of that year, the landlord says he's going to charge more if you don't sign another lease.

Wacft

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
1. It's a simple matter if you exceed the plan limit, to go to the web site and change your plan, making it retro to the beginning of the month to increase the data for that month. Vacation? No problem - Data alert tells me if I go over, then I log in and change the plan. Next month, change it back. No worries.
2. I'd look at the bill a little closer. The only way Trophy has free tethering and unlimited data is if someone screwed up. As far as I know, Trophy has never been successfully hacked to make tethering work without VZW knowing. And up until I got Tango and switched plans, I was looking for such a hack.
4. Whether the new plans save or not will depend on your situation. Some will save, some will lose. For me, having had two Trophies (one is now an 822), and a dumb phone, going from the share 1400 minute plan with unlimited on both Trophies, switching to a Share everythign 6GB plan, and having a 20% corporate discount (with both the old and new plans), I save something just over $30 a month. And this month it will be $40, because I cut back to 4GB, since I've only exceeded that once. If I exceed it again, I'll just raise the limit until the next billing cycle. But whether you save or lose by switching to a share everything depends very much on your situation. From what I gather, the more phones, the more savings - but I haven't run the numbers on that, so that could be wrong.
7. Once your two years is up, you're not under contract anymore. Neither you NOR Verizon is bound to the original terms. Which means that they can pull the unlimited at any time. It's not "making" you sign a contract - it's month to month, just like if you leased a house for a year, and at the end of that year, the landlord says he's going to charge more if you don't sign another lease.

#1 If that is what you want to do go for it. I don't want to worry about my data usage period.
#2 It may not be, I think my reply shows how much I ever use it...
#7 That is your opinion. If you can find it in writing by Verizon feel free to share it. Your analogy isn't the same at all. You're comparing leased (tangible) equipment to a paid service. If Verizon cut off anyone with unlimited then they would be forcing you to sign a contract in order to continue using it and they can't do it. The only reason you sign a contract with Cell Companies is so they make a decent profit for subsidizing a phone before you leave. They used scare tactics/misinformation to get people to choose to switch. And people have been talking about the end of the unlimited plan for the past two years, maybe three. Im to the point I won't believe it until I see it happen. If I'm wrong why haven't they pulled the plug already? If they really can do it whenever they want and it isn't profitable for them then why haven't they? I will however make a thread the day it happens IF it happens, saying you are right. :smile:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
#7 That is your opinion. If you can find it in writing by Verizon feel free to share it. Your analogy isn't the same at all. You're comparing leased (tangible) equipment to a paid service. If Verizon cut off anyone with unlimited then they would be forcing you to sign a contract in order to continue using it and they can't do it. The only reason you sign a contract with Cell Companies is so they make a decent profit for subsidizing a phone before you leave. They used scare tactics/misinformation to get people to choose to switch. And people have been talking about the end of the unlimited plan for the past two years, maybe three. Im to the point I won't believe it until I see it happen. If I'm wrong why haven't they pulled the plug already? If they really can do it whenever they want and it isn't profitable for them then why haven't they? I will however make a thread the day it happens IF it happens, saying you are right. :smile:

My statement isn't opinion at all. It's a simple thing to understand if you try. Your contract has an expiration date. After that date, anything goes. Neither party is bound by a contract that is expired. Doesn't take a third grade education to realize that if you're not stuck in denial-land.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

I know for a fact that you can use the VZW HTC Trophy for WiFi tethering with out Verizon knowing about it. I had my trophy fully unlocked and I used it all the time. Never got a bill or notified about using it. In fact, I have a spare trophy sitting around in case I need that feature for a weekend or something (esn changes on line are easy)

I even posted how to do it on the trophy forums here...

jmunchies1

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm using my Trophy with the tethering hack right now. It's easy to do and the phone doesn't need to be unlocked. The instructions were posted here but removed by the mods. Takes all of 30 seconds to do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99