Nokia Announces May 14th Press Conference in London

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Its possible I don't see why they are dragging their feet with this one, unless May 2 is the first day outside of the AT&T exclusivity contract and the phone cannot even be officially announced before that date nevermind sold.

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Is Verizon always going to lag behind when it comes to the release of Nokia phones? I mean I know it's been a trend of AT&T always getting the phones first, but with Verizon exceeding expectations on the 822 as mentioned by Abe, one would hope that they'd give one of these Nokia flagships a chance... at this point the damage has indeed been done; it's too close to the GS4 hype, a phone which I am considering as I don't want Nokia's old specs, so that's why I'm hoping Verizon will take a chance on another Nokia flagship to make up for this failure.

With the Lumia 920 from what I understood that AT&T threw money at Nokia to get the device were as VZW didn't being the uncertainty of WP. Maybe now it might be reverse and VZW will throw money at Nokia this time instead of AT&T, doubt thought. I think Nokia wants to get there latest flagship phone (GSM) to a larger market.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Its possible I don't see why they are dragging their feet with this one, unless May 2 is the first day outside of the AT&T exclusivity contract and the phone cannot even be officially announced before that date nevermind sold.

I guess that is the next rumor we can hang on for a annoucement, unless VZW says something, I guess next week would make the most sence here....

Another week... Nothing from @VZWsupport been pestering them and they wont give up ANYTHING :(

Yea, I can be a PIA when I want something :)

Is Verizon always going to lag behind when it comes to the release of Nokia phones? I mean I know it's been a trend of AT&T always getting the phones first, but with Verizon exceeding expectations on the 822 as mentioned by Abe, one would hope that they'd give one of these Nokia flagships a chance... at this point the damage has indeed been done; it's too close to the GS4 hype, a phone which I am considering as I don't want Nokia's old specs, so that's why I'm hoping Verizon will take a chance on another Nokia flagship to make up for this failure.

There was a lot of rumors with the 928, including a new CPU and a lot of other features. Maybe it's a totaly new from what we know ? We dont know anything besides what the screen looks like and a some images of the shell that could be different from the final version ANYTHING ELSE is complete rumor as nothing is official.

The more we think we know about this phone, it could be the less we know.... If it's just a 920 in a different shell, I will be very disapointed after this hype about it...

Rick2340

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I guess that is the next rumor we can hang on for a annoucement, unless VZW says something, I guess next week would make the most sence here....

Another week... Nothing from @VZWsupport been pestering them and they wont give up ANYTHING :(

Yea, I can be a PIA when I want something :)

There was a lot of rumors with the 928, including a new CPU and a lot of other features. Maybe it's a totaly new from what we know ? We dont know anything besides what the screen looks like and a some images of the shell that could be different from the final version ANYTHING ELSE is complete rumor as nothing is official.

The more we think we know about this phone, it could be the less we know.... If it's just a 920 in a different shell, I will be very disapointed after this hype about it...

One thing Abe was clear about is that the 928 is a Verizon version of the 920 (with a xenon flash) so prepared to be disappointed.

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
One thing Abe was clear about is that the 928 is a Verizon version of the 920 (with a xenon flash) so prepared to be disappointed.
With VZW I always start out disappointed :winktongue:

The 920 core specs are just about a year old, sounds on par for VZW to carry it.

Last edited:

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
It pretty much has to have old specs until Microsoft opens up the chassis specs, right? So it's not really Verizon or Nokia doing the dragging as far as specs go. I could give a crap less about specs in all honesty. My 8X runs amazingly smooth; better than the Droid DNA that has literally double the processing power and double the RAM. I know most of you *think* that "specs are important because customers like high numbers," but that's not the case. Majority of customers walk into a VZW store and want a phone that's "good," has a "good camera," and "won't be outdated in two months."

Juanma Herrera

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
14th ---> 41 mpx
10 am to 4 pm --> 10+4 = 14 ---> 41 mpx

Or, could be possible a new 14 mpx phone? Probably pureview phase 3 would have a 14 mpx phone in order to preserve a thiner phone and because of the Windows Phone specs...

I preffer, obviously, the 41 mpx one. I don't care having a thick phone, while it has a big sensor, a big battery and a Xenon flash...

The call icon suggest it's a phone (not a tablet), and the icons look like a WP...

braindoc

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
It pretty much has to have old specs until Microsoft opens up the chassis specs, right? So it's not really Verizon or Nokia doing the dragging as far as specs go. I could give a crap less about specs in all honesty. My 8X runs amazingly smooth; better than the Droid DNA that has literally double the processing power and double the RAM. I know most of you *think* that "specs are important because customers like high numbers," but that's not the case. Majority of customers walk into a VZW store and want a phone that's "good," has a "good camera," and "won't be outdated in two months."

This is a good point about MS but it also points out exactly why the 928 will most likely be a huge failure for Verizon. If it is released on May 2nd or 9th, and, as is speculated, Nokia announces the EOS with a 41 MP camera on May 14th followed by an announcement that it will be an ATT exclusive device in the US, then the 928 will "be outdated in 2 months". What reason would I have to stay with Verizon? It has been written in the forums elsewhere that Verizon really wants WP to succeed because the phones are much less costly for them compared to Androids and iPhones, but they don't act like a company that wants WP to succeed. Releasing a warmed-over version of last year's phone instead a flagship phone with Nokia's newest technology (despite the restrictions with MS specs) only proves this.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I am off contract at TMobile and can go with either ATT and Verizon. In my area Verizon has better coverage than ATT but ATT is much better than TMo. So I can go either with ATT or Verizon. I was going to purchase (or pre-order) the 928 on day 1. Now I will wait until after Nokia's announcment on 5/14 before deciding if I will get the 928 on Verizon or wait for the EOS on ATT.

Rick2340

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
This is a good point about MS but it also points out exactly why the 928 will most likely be a huge failure for Verizon. If it is released on May 2nd or 9th, and, as is speculated, Nokia announces the EOS with a 41 MP camera on May 14th followed by an announcement that it will be an ATT exclusive device in the US, then the 928 will "be outdated in 2 months". What reason would I have to stay with Verizon? It has been written in the forums elsewhere that Verizon really wants WP to succeed because the phones are much less costly for them compared to Androids and iPhones, but they don't act like a company that wants WP to succeed. Releasing a warmed-over version of last year's phone instead a flagship phone with Nokia's newest technology (despite the restrictions with MS specs) only proves this.

The reason (for me anyway) to stay with Verizon is the quality of the network. Clearly T-Mobile and Sprint are cheaper but overall the network quality and coverage isn't a good as Verizon. AT&T has a much better phone selection but their network quality isn't quite there, although it seems to be getting closer with all the LTE markets they are adding. The question is are you willing to sign a two year contract with one of these other carriers and risk going through the hassle of poor network quality.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
The reason (for me anyway) to stay with Verizon is the quality of the network. Clearly T-Mobile and Sprint are cheaper but overall the network quality and coverage isn't a good as Verizon. AT&T has a much better phone selection but their network quality isn't quite there, although it seems to be getting closer with all the LTE markets they are adding. The question is are you willing to sign a two year contract with one of these other carriers and risk going through the hassle of poor network quality.

So it's a question of putting up with a non-optimal phone and a good network (Verizon) or a not as good network with cutting edge phones (ATT). Why can't we have it all ...

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
So it's a question of putting up with a non-optimal phone and a good network (Verizon) or a not as good network with cutting edge phones (ATT). Why can't we have it all ...

the network claims are just brand loyal crap. I don't have any "network" problems with AT&T here in Los Angeles. Customer service, especially their horrific online forums? Yes, but the network is just fine.

It shocks me how cultishly loyal people can be to a signal pusher. They all suck at pretty much the same level.

stwall

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
It depends on where you live. In St. Louis, Verizon provides a much more stable network, faster speeds, and much better coverage than any of the other wireless carriers. So while Los Angeles may be blanketed, that does not necessarily apply to the rest of the country.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
the network claims are just brand loyal crap. I don't have any "network" problems with AT&T here in Los Angeles. Customer service, especially their horrific online forums? Yes, but the network is just fine.

It shocks me how cultishly loyal people can be to a signal pusher. They all suck at pretty much the same level.

No, they're not. It all depends on location. I get 4 bars of LTE on Verizon at home, and when someone was at my house with an ATT phone, they couldn't make a call. My step-daughter's phone on Sprint drops calls at the house. One place I used to work, I put a Verizon repeater on the roof because NONE of the carriers had a signal (terrain blocking the signal at our plant). I put up an ATT repeater as well, but it took LOTS of time and effort for the guys from the communications company who installed it to get it right, because ATT was so resistant to allowing them to have the data they needed to tune the thing.

There are places where ATT is better, places where Verizon is better, and places where there is no notable difference. But overall, Verizon's network is better. Don't be a judge just based on where you happen to live.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
No, they're not. It all depends on location. I get 4 bars of LTE on Verizon at home, and when someone was at my house with an ATT phone, they couldn't make a call. My step-daughter's phone on Sprint drops calls at the house. One place I used to work, I put a Verizon repeater on the roof because NONE of the carriers had a signal (terrain blocking the signal at our plant). I put up an ATT repeater as well, but it took LOTS of time and effort for the guys from the communications company who installed it to get it right, because ATT was so resistant to allowing them to have the data they needed to tune the thing.

There are places where ATT is better, places where Verizon is better, and places where there is no notable difference. But overall, Verizon's network is better. Don't be a judge just based on where you happen to live.

agreed - its very difficult to determine if a carrier will "work for you" without trying it for several days to a week.
I am in Houston - have ATT, and have been thinking of switching to TMo or Verizon - but how on earth can i do that without committing to a device (in the case of Verizon) from them or at very least, getting service from them.
I dont know of a good online resource that reliably shows who has what frequency and where - never mind how well it works.

Rick2340

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

It's not brand loyal crap. Not everybody lives in a big city. You live in Los Angeles so obviously you are going to have a lot of choices. I live in a smallish town so Sprint and T-Mobile are garbage. Verizon has had good LTE coverage for awhile so they historically have had by far the best service. We just got AT&T LTE service here so I'm actually thinking of switching given their better phone selection but prior to getting LTE they were no where near the quality of Verizon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234