How are Nokia radios?

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys and gals, long story short, how are the radios in Nokia phones? I am pretty new to WP8 and I currently have a HTC 8X on Verizon. I get very poor reception with Verizon in my office at work. Always have no matter which device, OS, etc. But as of late, some devices have definitely been better than others.

My Galaxy S3 wasn't that great, my Note 2 was better and then my HTC Droid DNA was better than both of them. Now with the 8X, it is about on par with the DNA or maybe a bit better. When I say better, just know that the reception still isn't great.

With that being said, I'm getting the 928 on the day it comes out. What can I expect reception wise compared to my 8X?

Thanks!

EDMmmmmmm

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I can't say anything about the 8X antenna performance but I can say that Nokia has very high standards for antenna performance. In my experience the Nokia phones I have used (822 on VZ and 920 on ATT) both have better reception than the S3 and iphone 4S that I was comparing to; I would say it is likely you will see the same or better reception with the 928, and very unlikely it will be worse.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, Nokia has always been known to make good phones (aka radios) - better than the majority of device manufacturers.
Something that the other manufacturers are only just now learning how to make an average phone IMO.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
The 8X is the best phone I've ever carried for reception. Generally HTC, Motorola, and Apple are the best. The 822 seems to be about on par with the iPhone so the 928 should be solid.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The 8X is the best phone I've ever carried for reception. Generally HTC, Motorola, and Apple are the best. The 822 seems to be about on par with the iPhone so the 928 should be solid.

Agreed, In places where my old HTC trophy dropped calls, I have not dropped any calls with my 8X. This being said, I have LTE coverage now and only had 3G coverage before, so I am sure it has something to do with it. As far as reception, the 8X is a solid phone

I have heard Nokia phones (esp the older, pre-smart phone models) were really good but, I have not owned one in many years.....

jmunchies1

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, In places where my old HTC trophy dropped calls, I have not dropped any calls with my 8X. This being said, I have LTE coverage now and only had 3G coverage before, so I am sure it has something to do with it. As far as reception, the 8X is a solid phone

I have heard Nokia phones (esp the older, pre-smart phone models) were really good but, I have not owned one in many years.....

Well having LTE wouldn't affect calls since voice is still handled via CDMA. But that being said, and having a trophy, I would agree its reception is not the strongest.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I can't say anything about the 8X antenna performance but I can say that Nokia has very high standards for antenna performance. In my experience the Nokia phones I have used (822 on VZ and 920 on ATT) both have better reception than the S3 and iphone 4S that I was comparing to; I would say it is likely you will see the same or better reception with the 928, and very unlikely it will be worse.

I always thought HTC was hit or miss. Usually, it seems, if HTC makes the phone out of plastic, it has solid reception, but if it has metal, it may not be so great.

Apple I think from the 4 onwards (aside from Antennagate) gets great reception too.

Motorola is known for it's excellent reception. Depending on who you ask, some say it's better than Nokia, some say it's about the same, some say a little worse. Wherever it ranks, still great reception though.

Nokia is the other company that is known for providing excellent reception. Reception seems to be a priority for them. Doesn't mean there aren't duds, but most Nokias have excellent reception.

Oh by the way guys, don't compare reception between phones by bars. Each phone calculates that differently.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I've owned numerous Nokia smartphones, and all of them have been great in terms of reception. Even the metal N8 and E71 had better reception than my iPhone 4.. not to mention.. voice call quality has always been top notch, except for my Lumia 900 .. that one was not as good as the my older ones. My 808 is very good as well.. no issues.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I always thought HTC was hit or miss. Usually, it seems, if HTC makes the phone out of plastic, it has solid reception, but if it has metal, it may not be so great.

Yeah, older HTCs like the Trophy and Droid Incredible 2 were not good at all. The Incredible 4G, Rezound, DNA, and 8X are excellent though. My 8X is better than my wife's Razr M.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, my Trophy is "okay" with reception (though that is partially just being on Verizon), my OG Droid was better. Motorola flip phones were superb though. Though they did make one dud -- the Devour was absolutely trash, reception wise (well, and many other aspects as well).

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
When I owned the 8x, I had horrible coverage. My mom had a galaxy s3 that we had to exchange for a Droid DNA for the crappy reception and she finally decided to get an 822...the Nokia radios are great in my opinion. Nokia can rival Motorola with the best radios.

kalo88

May 8, 2013
Visit site
My street is in a very weak signal area, i get about 1-2 bars in my house if im lucky and no signal on some networks. Despite this calls are strong and extremely clear..i finally have a phone that functions well as a phone!! I've had previous android devices that suffered buzzing and interference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12