928 v. 920 - Side by Side Comparison.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I made a quick chart of the differences between 920 and 928 based on the specs on Nokia's site. This only includes the things that are different between the two.

Colors
Black, White
Black, White, Red, Yellow, Cyan
Size
10.2 x 133.0 x 68.9 mm
10.7 x 130.3 x 70.8 mm
Weight
162.0 g
185.0 g
Display
AMOLED 4.5"
IPS 4.5"
Battery usage time
16.2 h Maximum Talk 3G
9 h Maximum Talk 3G
Display Features
PureMotion HD+
ClearBlack
Brightness control
Orientation sensor
High brightness mode
Sunlight readability enhancements
Corning Gorilla Glass 2
Ambient light sensor
Sculpted glass
Easy to clean

PureMotion HD+
ClearBlack
Polarization filter
Brightness control
Corning Gorilla Glass
Orientation sensor
Low power mode
High brightness mode
RGB Stripe
Sunlight readability enhancements
Color boosting
Refresh rate 60 Hz
Ambient light sensor
Sculpted glass
Easy to clean
Content adaptive backlight
Battery Model
BV-4NW
BP-4GW
Camera Image Formats
XMP
JPEG/Exif

JPEG/Exif

Main Camera - other features
Touch focus
Landscape orientation
Exposure compensation
Auto and manual exposure
Auto and manual white balance
Active toolbar
Full screen viewfinder
Automatic motion blur reduction
Geotagging
Optical image stabilization
True 16:9 sensor
PureView
Backside-illuminated image sensor
Automatic photo upload to web services
Full resolution photo and video upload
Touch focus
Landscape orientation
Exposure compensation
Auto and manual exposure
Auto and manual white balance
Still image editor
Face recognition
Full screen viewfinder
Automatic motion blur reduction
Center weighted auto exposure
Geotagging
Optical image stabilization
True 16:9 sensor
PureView
Backside-illuminated image sensor
Automatic photo upload to web services
Full resolution photo and video upload
Creative Studio
Flash Type
Xenon

Short puls high power dual LED

*Edit: One other difference is that the loudspeaker is moved from the bottom on the 920 to the back on the 928, and is said to be louder/better.

Last edited:

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I am not seeing a major difference but for me it will be a nice upgrade from my 822. I just hope the camera is as good as they say it is.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
wait so this is pentile display? also how are the standby time and talk time all so much higher on the 928 vs the 920. i'd understand a an hour or to but not nearly double....

Also, does anyone know what firmware or WP8 os it's running? maybe that's why?

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
wait so this is pentile display? also how are the standby time and talk time all so much higher on the 928 vs the 920. i'd understand a an hour or to but not nearly double....

Also, does anyone know what firmware or WP8 os it's running? maybe that's why?

It's not PenTile. The standby and talk times are much higher because the battery runs at a lower voltage. Plus AMOLED screens are better on battery because blacks = off. I expect God-tier battery if you use the dark theme.

If you watch the Nokia Conversations video about the 928, the dude says it has an "infinity display" that means the black on the screen is just as dark as the black glass bezel so you can't tell where it starts and stops. Which is ******* awesome.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The xenon flash alone will be enough for me to pick the 928 over the 920.. its way better for night shots

Also.. blacks = off but whites = higher consumption for the AMOLED .. so I would say its about the same. The good thing here is that they can implement the stand by clock coming with the next update easier than on an LCD

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I am just hoping that they fixed some of the issues that the 920 had. Battery life is a concern being that it is sealed so hopefully it lives up to the hype. I cant wait to get my hands on this phone Thursday or Friday at the latest!

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I am just hoping that they fixed some of the issues that the 920 had. Battery life is a concern being that it is sealed so hopefully it lives up to the hype. I cant wait to get my hands on this phone Thursday or Friday at the latest!

I always go with the $1.99 extended warranty Verizon offers. Covers the sealed battery for as long as you pay it. Don't even notice it on my bill.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The difference in display features listed above are exclusively for LCD and irrelevant for AMOLED. As long as it's not pen tile, as Honestabebread stated it's not, then this display will be awesome. The three "missing" camera features on the list are face recognition, still image editing, and Creative Studio. These are all software features, and, from the stuff put out so far, we already know it does facial recognition. So I'm willing to bet the other two are similar omissions of features that are, in fact, available.

The 928 is actually about 2/10's of an inch longer than my 822, but is otherwise about the same size width, thinner, just 20 grams, or 0.7 ounces, heavier - about the wieght of 20 paper clips (I may need to hit the weights to lift this phone - rolling my eyes). Yet it has a larger, high definition display, superior camera, and the battery life is significantly better than my 822 and the 920. So this phone is thinner and lighter than the 920, has much longer battery life at a lower battery voltage (must be a different battery chemistry - would be interesting if someone could get some hard specs on the battery make-up), and has an AMOLED display with Gorilla Glass 2 versus 1. I'd say this is a very nice step up from the 920. What else could they really put into this phone other than more cores and memory and the larger sensor EOS is supposed to get?

If this thing was available in red or cyan, I'd probably get it day one. Now I'll wait and see unless someone like Walmart has a sale on intro like the 822 did (I wouldn't put it past them).

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone use the light theme? I turned it on once for maybe 30 seconds.

I would use it if they made a phone that didn't have a massive black sheet of glass on the front. So that leaves the Ativ Odyssey. Which no one has a reason to buy. So I guess the answer is no. No one uses the light theme.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I should add, on the weight department, that I still find the whole thing silly. I have a Pre 2 (145g), a Pixi Plus (95g), a Pre Plus (138g), and my Lumia 822 (142g) and I struggle to see the difference between any of them, including between the Lumia and the Pixi. I can just ever so slightly tell the Pre 2 is "heavier", but, seriously, I can't believe Nokia felt they had to address the weight issue, but I am glad they did for perception purposes.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm.. an AMOLED with Nokia's polarizers is indeed awesome. Great contrast, very good outdoors...

The AMOLED display is why I chose the 822 over the 8X. Yeah, the high def high DPI looked nice, but the difference in color saturation was very noticeable. The LCD on the 8x had colors, including the theme colors, that just looked washed out. I can't wait to see how this display looks.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
It's not PenTile. The standby and talk times are much higher because the battery runs at a lower voltage. Plus AMOLED screens are better on battery because blacks = off. I expect God-tier battery if you use the dark theme.

If you watch the Nokia Conversations video about the 928, the dude says it has an "infinity display" that means the black on the screen is just as dark as the black glass bezel so you can't tell where it starts and stops. Which is ******* awesome.

how are you sure it's not pentile? and ya sure the blacks i get but during phone calls? 920 and 928 screens would be off so how does that explain the double talk time?

btw technically even OLED has a small current running through the screen (even when black) to allow for faster ramp up on brighter colours. it's still a lot 'blacker' than LCD haha. i hope anandtech does a comparison of 920 vs 928 screens.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Added the following to the OP:

*Edit: One other difference is that the loudspeaker is moved from the bottom on the 920 to the back on the 928, and is said to be louder/better.

And my guess on the differences between the software features is probably just that they didn't bother listing.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I would guess that the voltage reduction is a significant portion of the longer times. P=(V*V)/R, so that means a small drop in voltage is a larger drop in power when the impedance is the same. Anyone familiar with overclocking CPU's gets a first hand view of this. As you increase voltage, changing nothing else, power goes up at an exponential rate, and, subsequently, the inverse is true.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I would guess that the voltage reduction is a significant portion of the longer times. P=(V*V)/R, so that means a small drop in voltage is a larger drop in power when the impedance is the same. Anyone familiar with overclocking CPU's gets a first hand view of this. As you increase voltage, changing nothing else, power goes up at an exponential rate, and, subsequently, the inverse is true.

again but that doesn't explain why talk time is so more when both screens would be off.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
In my humble, unimportant opinion....

1) This is an upgrade over the 920, sorta like a Lincoln is an upgrade over a Cadillac (or vice versa, depending on your preference). Not enough to move from AT&T to Verizon for, but certainly will bump the 8X and 822 into second tier status on Big Red. 8X is a good phone, but the 928 just has better features.

2) It is good enough to bump any Android in it's price range clear out of its way. While the GS4 (or whatever number it is on) or HTC 1 (if it makes Verizon) may not have much to worry about and certainly iPhone lovers will not give it a second look, there is no reason not to give the 928 3rd or 4th place on the shelves. It has every chance to be the device that gets WP8 in the limelight on the largest carrier in the US.

3) I think it is a sexy, sultry looking phone.:cool: I LOVE the white. I do think it beats the 920, and nearly every other device, in looks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss