Just ordered the 928 as a concession phone

EDMmmmmmm

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Honestabebread thanks a lot for all the info! There is going to be a bunch of us asking about different things, but the only thing I am really interested in is the how the xenon flash performs.. try and see if it would freeze motion, like.. people moving, or even just a simple spinning fan in the dark :)

I think its very important because it could set the phone apart from the rest, since they all have LEDs and .. well.. they all pretty much suck.

Vlad, just so you dont have to wait I took these shots of a spinning fan tonight with my 928 to show how the xenon freezes the motion. You will be happy :)
Lumia 928 Xenon Flash vs Fan - Imgur

Here are more xenon comparisons: Lumia 928 - Flash Comparison - Imgur

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Vlad, just so you dont have to wait I took these shots of a spinning fan tonight with my 928 to show how the xenon freezes the motion. You will be happy :)
Lumia 928 Xenon Flash vs Fan - Imgur

Here are more xenon comparisons: Lumia 928 - Flash Comparison - Imgur

Thank you!

I know that the fan test is kind of silly, but it basically proves that at a similar distance, you will be able to freeze motion without any issues.

Looking great.. And it will only get better with future updates in terms of exposure, etc. From my perspective this is a huge selling point. Most of the other features are covered by most high end smartphones, but flash performance like this is not.. there are only a few smartphones out with such capabilities, and NON of the them are available on contract in the US, so.. this is it.

I know that there were Windows CE based phones with a xenon flash, and we had that andro based Motorola, but they both were not properly implemented..

edit. So if you happened to see spots in the frame.. those are dust particles, made visible by the fact that the xenon flash is way to close to the lens of the camera.. at least this is how Dining explained it when we asked about it back in 2010 when the N8 came out.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Thank you!

I know that the fan test is kind of silly, but it basically proves that at a similar distance, you will be able to freeze motion without any issues.

Looking great.. And it will only get better with future updates in terms of exposure, etc. From my perspective this is a huge selling point. Most of the other features are covered by most high end smartphones, but flash performance like this is not.. there are only a few smartphones out with such capabilities, and NON of the them are available on contract in the US, so.. this is it.

I know that there were Windows CE based phones with a xenon flash, and we had that andro based Motorola, but they both were not properly implemented..

edit. So if you happened to see spots in the frame.. those are dust particles, made visible by the fact that the xenon flash is way to close to the lens of the camera.. at least this is how Dining explained it when we asked about it back in 2010 when the N8 came out.

Agreed - I have had Xenon on two of my Nokia phones and they blow away everything including my wife's N9 at that kind of freeze the moment type shot...
So which spots are you referring to - and where is the dust? Is it on the lens (in which case, cleaning should suffice) or is it more like humidity? In which case, good luck with that :)
Id like to know, i have both the N8 and the 808 Pureview right now...and i see spots when i use the n8 but not so much the 808.
Having said that, the photos i have seen so far from EDMmmmmmm (too long!) have showed what i think details that are soft...
Nothing that Nokia cant rectify with either production firmware or camera tweaks a la 920...
Its certainly not out of their reach thats for sure.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Another request ..

If someone can check and see if the audio stream recording during video is stereo or mono. If you have a video file on you PC, right click, properties, details ..

it looks like this:

KM8Wqms.jpg

EDMmmmmmm

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
So any chance of telling us how you are able to have had this for so long? :)
Thanks for all the photos and videos though - much appreciated :)
Nokia Lumia Engineering :)
I read these forums often and when a new phone comes out there are lots of questions that aren't always answered (and misinformation that gets spread around). You guys are interested in details that the average consumer isn't and the marketing material doesn't always cover everything. I obviously can't give out any information on future products/features or other Nokia proprietary info but I am happy to answer questions about the 928 and show off the reasons I think this phone is so awesome. Not trying to hijack this thread, if Abe wants me to take it elsewhere someone can start a new one.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I read these forums often and when a new phone comes out there are lots of questions that aren't always answered (and misinformation that gets spread around). You guys are interested in details that the average consumer isn't and the marketing material doesn't always cover everything. I obviously can't give out any information on future products/features or other Nokia proprietary info but I am happy to answer questions about the 928 and show off the reasons I think this phone is so awesome. Not trying to hijack this thread, if Abe wants me to take it elsewhere someone can start a new one.

Thanks to you and Honestabebread - seriously.

I think if you create a new thread it would be followed voraciously :) esp now that you have been sharing photos and videos:)

Wacft

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

I know you said you wont comment on future tech but because you said "Lumia Engineering" I have to ask. Ballpark figure, how much longer do we have to wait for HDMI out? This is the feature I can't believe WP does not have and the only one I really feel I am missing out on.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I know you said you wont comment on future tech but because you said "Lumia Engineering" I have to ask. Ballpark figure, how much longer do we have to wait for HDMI out? This is the feature I can't believe WP does not have and the only one I really feel I am missing out on.
AFAIK hdmi is fading out as a whole. Therefore is not coming back.

EDMmmmmmm

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
The weight is definitely noticeable but not an enormous change, I never thought the 920 was overweight to begin with.

What is it that you want to do with HDMI out? I find that Play To works well for connecting to my tv/xbox, and photobeamer is an underrated app I use all the time.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I have had HDMI on my last two Nokia phones, and never used it - have the cables, never used it :)
I have used play to though...via DLNA (and xbmc)
I have on the other hand used the USB-OTG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte